• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    Has anyone used AR500 steel targets? I was thinkin about pickin some up and I have some questions for people that has used them. I noticed on the website that they say you should be no closer than 10 yards with a pistol and 200 yards with a rifle. I've been watching YouTube videos of people shooting them and some are 5 yards away from them with a pistol and around 50 yards (maybe less) with a rifle. Has anyone had any issues with ricochet with these while being that close with them? Any feed back from real time use with these targets is greatly appreciated. Thanks

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    steel targets are pretty much all i shoot anymore. i shoot pistols at 10 yds, and rifles at 100 yds.

contact bobcat steel (advertiser here) and he will get you squared away

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Has anyone used AR500 steel targets? I was thinkin about pickin some up and I have some questions for people that has used them. I noticed on the website that they say you should be no closer than 10 yards with a pistol and 200 yards with a rifle. I've been watching YouTube videos of people shooting them and some are 5 yards away from them with a pistol and around 50 yards (maybe less) with a rifle. Has anyone had any issues with ricochet with these while being that close with them? Any feed back from real time use with these targets is greatly appreciated. Thanks

My minimum distance when shooting steel with FMJ ammo is 7 yards, YMMV.

I have shot a little frangible ammo into steel, and when shooting frangible, distance is no issue.

I bought ALL of my AR500 targets from Bobcat Steel. He's a good guy, and more importantly, he's a valued member of the shooting community who you will see out time and time again at events.

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    My minimum distance when shooting steel with FMJ ammo is 7 yards, YMMV.

I have shot a little frangible ammo into steel, and when shooting frangible, distance is no issue.

I bought ALL of my AR500 targets from Bobcat Steel. He's a good guy, and more importantly, he's a valued member of the shooting community who you will see out time and time again at events.

When you say 7 yards, was that with a rifle as well?

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Bonez87 - Thanks for contacting us. Let us know if you have any further questions.

We are running 10% off for Labor Day. LABOR12 code on the website or contact us via PM/Email/Phone (406-570-4373)

Just do what he tells you to do. :D

Best quote ever, lol...:laugh:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    lovemywoods has 48 pieces of Bobcat Steel on his range and I shoot the crap out of it on a regular basis-- its good stuff!

Most manufacturers, including ZbornacSVT, will give you recommended distances to shoot from with pistols and rifles. Of course they also want to minimize their own liability with those figures.

Point being, you can shoot closer, but do it at your own risk, and take steps to minimize that risk. Like using mounts that angle the steel downward and have some amount of "give" built in, always wearing protective gear, and understanding where your targets are sending the splatter.

Checkout my YouTube feed for lots of videos featuring Bobcat Steel targets: http://www.youtube.com/user/esrice

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I recently picked up a Bobcat AR500 target from Profire Supply. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151122058314731&set=pb.664204730.-2207520000.1346636045&type=1&theater
    I'm very happy with it. Here's what it looks like after some shots from a 5.56 and a .500 S&W. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...4204730.-2207520000.1346636045&type=1&theater
    These were at about 60 yards.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...4204730.-2207520000.1346636045&type=1&theater
    That's a closeup of his left hand after a 5.56 shot.

He took a shot to the right thumb with the .500 S&W and all it did was bend it back just a small amount. You wouldn't even notice it unless you were looking for it like we were. No ricochets or problems. We did some more shooting at dusk and it did give a nice display of sparks!

Last edited:

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    I recently picked up a Bobcat AR500 target from Profire Supply. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151122058314731&set=pb.664204730.-2207520000.1346636045&type=1&theater
    I'm very happy with it. Here's what it looks like after some shots from a 5.56 and a .500 S&W. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...4204730.-2207520000.1346636045&type=1&theater
    These were at about 60 yards.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...4204730.-2207520000.1346636045&type=1&theater
    That's a closeup of his left hand after a 5.56 shot.

He took a shot to the right thumb with the .%00 S&W and all it did was bend it back just a small amount. You wouldn't even notice it unless you were looking for it like we were. No ricochets or problems. We did some more shooting at dusk and it did give a nice display of sparks!

Awesome, thanks for the info and the pics. I think these targets will be just what I need.

tightlines

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    West of Indy
    A big +1 to Bobcat. Shooting steel is an absolute blast. I hang my targets from stands that I made for around $10. Hanging the plates with chain allows them to swing and I have not had any issues with ricochet or splash back. I have shot from 5 yards with a pistol (m&p .40) and have not had any issue but I would follow the recommendations stated previously. Enjoy your steel.

ActionTarget

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    This is Laren Helms from Action Target. We design, manufacture, and sell steel targets, so we deal with a lot of questions like this on a day-to-day basis.

As a general rule of thumb, we sell all of our handgun targets in 3/8" thick AR500 steel. At that thickness and hardness rating, you can shooting anything from .22 rimfire to .44 magnum at point blank range without damaging the target. Still, we recommend standing at least 10 yards away when shooting handguns. With the way our targets are designed, ricochets are highly unlikely, but still possible. While standing closer than 10 yards doesn't increase the danger significantly, there is a greater chance of getting hit by splatter.

For rifles, all of our targets are made of AR550 steel, and we suggest shooting from a distance of at least 100 yards. Even then, shooting with ammunition that has a muzzle velocity greater than 3,000 fps (like many .223 ammunition types) can cause damage to the target. We do not suggest shooting on AR500 steel with any centerfire rifle ammunition.

The "weakest" targets we make are made of 1/4" AR500 steel, and we suggest only shooting .22 rimfire ammunition on those. Using mild steel or shooting on armor steel that isn't rated for the ammunition you're using just doesn't work.

Ricochets are the biggest concern with steel targets. We place our targets at a 30 degree slant so all of the splatter is forced downward. Even then, if you're shooting on mild steel that pits and gets deformed, there's no way to predict where the splatter will go. It creates an uneven surface which causes unpredictable ricochets. You also don't want to have any exposed bolts, nuts, or clamps because they will inevitably be hit and who knows where the ricochet will go.

If you follow these guidelines, your targets should be able to stand up to thousands upon thousands of rounds without any damage.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } This is Laren Helms from Action Target. We design, manufacture, and sell steel targets, so we deal with a lot of questions like this on a day-to-day basis.

As a general rule of thumb, we sell all of our handgun targets in 3/8" thick AR500 steel. At that thickness and hardness rating, you can shooting anything from .22 rimfire to .44 magnum at point blank range without damaging the target. Still, we recommend standing at least 10 yards away when shooting handguns. With the way our targets are designed, ricochets are highly unlikely, but still possible. While standing closer than 10 yards doesn't increase the danger significantly, there is a greater chance of getting hit by splatter.

For rifles, all of our targets are made of AR550 steel, and we suggest shooting from a distance of at least 100 yards. Even then, shooting with ammunition that has a muzzle velocity greater than 3,000 fps (like many .223 ammunition types) can cause damage to the target. We do not suggest shooting on AR500 steel with any centerfire rifle ammunition.

The "weakest" targets we make are made of 1/4" AR500 steel, and we suggest only shooting .22 rimfire ammunition on those. Using mild steel or shooting on armor steel that isn't rated for the ammunition you're using just doesn't work.

Ricochets are the biggest concern with steel targets. We place our targets at a 30 degree slant so all of the splatter is forced downward. Even then, if you're shooting on mild steel that pits and gets deformed, there's no way to predict where the splatter will go. It creates an uneven surface which causes unpredictable ricochets. You also don't want to have any exposed bolts, nuts, or clamps because they will inevitably be hit and who knows where the ricochet will go.

If you follow these guidelines, your targets should be able to stand up to thousands upon thousands of rounds without any damage.

Soooooo.....your telling me i cant shoot my rifle at a RIFLE target. I dont know about you but that seems stupid. most rifles are center fire rifles (except 22's and light stuff). I have been told by Bobcat Steel that i am good to go with basically all my rifles from my 22 to my .223 to my 30-06. I think ill just go with a company that lets me use my guns and they build a product that will stand up to it instead of limiting what i can use.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    There is a place local to me that has large circles in there scrap dumpsters. Anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4 thick. Mostly mild but some stainless. I don't really care if they get shot to hell, I'll just replace with another piece of scrap. But the big thing here is, distance. I wouldn't even shoot a pistol or 22 under 25 yards. Anything with a jacket, a lot further. I have a head x-ray and a chopper ride to remind me of that.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    There is a place local to me that has large circles in there scrap dumpsters. Anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4 thick. Mostly mild but some stainless. I don't really care if they get shot to hell, I'll just replace with another piece of scrap. But the big thing here is, distance. I wouldn't even shoot a pistol or 22 under 25 yards. Anything with a jacket, a lot further. I have a head x-ray and a chopper ride to remind me of that.

id be more worried about saftey than destroying the target

Top Bottom