• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Anyone shoot better from a stand than on the ground. For some reason I can hit the bullseye almost each time out to 30 yards and be within a 3 inch circle at 40-45 yards but off the ground am less accurate.

It messes me up to the point where I feel like I need to set my sight based off tree stand practice and use ground practice for simply technique and muscle memory practice

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Basically on an up or downhill shot (or out of a stand) you need to compensate for the angle.

Increased time of flight to the target, compared to the horizontal distance, causes additional drop from gravity.

Backcountry Bowhunting - Up/Down Hill Aiming

Yes practicing from a stand will help. Also if you have a rangefinder you can measure several objects from the stand to get the straight line distance and use the appropriate sight pin. Many hunter set out little flags around their stand in five or ten yard increments.

If it's just the new perspective and not the ranging that is the issue, then disregard.

Last edited:

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Use an ACR rangefinder. [angle compensating rangefinder]
    Then you have your true horizontal range.
    I use a Nikon "Archers Choice" rangefinder.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Its not really a distance issue...more of a comfort level shooting from a stand vs on the ground

gotcha!

When I'm shooting my bow, and things aren't going well, it's usually becuse I'm not paying enough attention to my follow through.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    If you are aiming your bow on the ground at the bulleye, do you seem to always hit high or are you all over the place? If you are consistantly high, it has to do with the angle drop, if not then you simply shoot better from a stand. Either way I would not suggest sighting in from a stand. When you sight in you want to try and keep all the variables you can exactly the same. Sighting in from a stand means that if you hunt out of another stand that is higher up, or lower then your pins will change due to the increased angle. Try and make sure when you sight in that you are level with your target, have very little to no wind, and shoot the same grain weight of arrow. At that point get your 10 yard or whatever yard pin dialed in, and then shoot from the stand. Also when shooting from the stand remember to bend at the waist, dont just lower your arm. This will give you a more true angle and shot. Best of luck.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I just tried something out...maybe this is the issue. I have a limited shooting area in my yard in back. To shoot at 20 yards, I have to stand approx 4-5 yards behind the back edge of my house. So the arrow flies 5 yards no wind and then the wind hits the arrow.

I have a pretty strong cross wind behind my house..just the way the wind travels through the vinyl village. I moved up to 15 yards so the arrow would start in the wind. Shot 6 arrows...2 3 arrow groups. Arrows were all touching.

I can't stretch it out to 20 and beyond to shoot all in the wind until i can get to my dads land in Bloomington. Surely 5 yards of no initial wind isnt the issue here.

Joshnbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I just tried something out...maybe this is the issue. I have a limited shooting area in my yard in back. To shoot at 20 yards, I have to stand approx 4-5 yards behind the back edge of my house. So the arrow flies 5 yards no wind and then the wind hits the arrow.

I have a pretty strong cross wind behind my house..just the way the wind travels through the vinyl village. I moved up to 15 yards so the arrow would start in the wind. Shot 6 arrows...2 3 arrow groups. Arrows were all touching.

I can't stretch it out to 20 and beyond to shoot all in the wind until i can get to my dads land in Bloomington. Surely 5 yards of no initial wind isnt the issue here.

if you want to test that theory you can bring your gear to my house and give it a shot, no pun intended. ive got about 100 yards to shoot on if you need to

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up

In the woods you aren't going to be able to control cross winds and where they are.

Top Bottom