Are DPMS rifles any better than they used to be?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NightOwl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    North of the Corn!
    I have always heard DPMS is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to quality, but I have seen a few rifles lately that look pretty good! Have DPMS cleaned-up their act and started building better rifles?

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    What do you mean by look? Did you look at the bcg, castle nut, barrel markings, fsb,? I always thought bottom of the barrel was reserved for olympic.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I wouldn't say they are bottom of the barrel. With so many companies making AR's now their prices may be a little high. I've never actually owned or handled one though.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I think at first glance the DPMS finish looks nice. It is the little things that add up, and they aren't truthfully that significant. But if you want an M4 profile NATO twist barrel then you are unlikely to find that on a cheap DPMS, or any other cheap product. To me, any AR-15 carbine that doesn't have an M4 barrel looks cheap, unless it makes up for it with a fancy handguard or something.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Bottom of the barrel would be anything made by Vulcan, Hesse or Blackthorn. If encountered, run away, post haste.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I have seen a bunch of them under $1k. IMO the triggers are gritty, the charging handles are rough which may be lack of fit of the bcg or the handle either way it seems like it has room for improvement. They had a few models with magpul furniture but the non magpulized models would need a makeover, again IMO. Do they shoot? I'm sure they do. For the price it might be a good way to get in and then upgrade as money allows.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I would saw PSA is awesome :)

Have no experience with the 5.56 DPMS AR's, but I have a LR-308 I assembled with all DPMS parts - Upper is a Stainless bull barrel. The fit and finish in my opinion (and I collect guns) is as tight and smooth as my Remington 700, Colt's and Winchesters. In other words it is as well fitted as any gun I own. The action is very good, I have only fired a few clip's through the gun but it appears to be less than 1 moa accuracy, and has had no issues yet - don't expect any. I would not trade it for any other AR or .308 AR style rifle I have seen. I sure don't consider it "low quality", I have about $1500 in the rifle including a Vortex scope.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I used to have a DPMS A2 clone and it ran well, my good friend has had an oracle since '08 and it still shoots well. Neither was ran hard but shot ok. I've seen a lot worse that's for sure.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Have no experience with the 5.56 DPMS AR's, but I have a LR-308 I assembled with all DPMS parts - Upper is a Stainless bull barrel. The fit and finish in my opinion (and I collect guns) is as tight and smooth as my Remington 700, Colt's and Winchesters. In other words it is as well fitted as any gun I own. The action is very good, I have only fired a few clip's through the gun but it appears to be less than 1 moa accuracy, and has had no issues yet - don't expect any. I would not trade it for any other AR or .308 AR style rifle I have seen. I sure don't consider it "low quality", I have about $1500 in the rifle including a Vortex scope.

The LR308 and the 5.56/.223 line are very far apart in quality. The LR308 is very good value for the money and I consider them on the upper middle end of quality. The 5.56/.223 I consider on the upper-lower end of quality. A step above Olympic.

I own both, FWIW.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    DPMS is buy no means a high end rifle but they are a great value for the money. I have a DPMS and it functions great. It just depends what you want out of our rifle. If you want an all Milspec top of the line AR then DPMS is not it. But it's a good gun...they have gotten better over the years IMO.

Top Bottom