Are electric cars worse for the environment?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I drive my Volt about 15 miles per day for work and errands. The electricity I use to charge it (between 12 AM and 6 AM to keep the load at off peak times) is about equal to the electricity I saved in drying time when I switched from an old top loader washer to a new front loader. The new washer spins the clothes faster, they come out dryer, and take half the time in the dryer as before. So I don't use hardly any more electricity and about 20 gallons of gas a year. For total cost of ownership could I have done better by buying a no frills sub compact for $15,000? Sure. But I like a nice stereo, leather seats, backup camera, 10 air bags, very quiet drive train (all you hear are the tires on the road), minimal maintenance (2 year oil changes, 6 month tire rotations), wife not having to go to a gas station for almost 7 years now, and no concern at all over gas prices. Right now electric does not make sense for everyone, but for those like me that hit the sweet spot, it works. The bonus is I get to talk to a lot of different people that are curious about the car. I have a suspicion that car makers may realize electric cars may last significantly longer than gas driven ones, hurting their long time income.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I...may have oversimplified a bit. :)

I figured but it's for the other readers as well being a public forum and all.

I drive my Volt about 15 miles per day for work and errands. The electricity I use to charge it (between 12 AM and 6 AM to keep the load at off peak times) is about equal to the electricity I saved in drying time when I switched from an old top loader washer to a new front loader. The new washer spins the clothes faster, they come out dryer, and take half the time in the dryer as before. So I don't use hardly any more electricity and about 20 gallons of gas a year. For total cost of ownership could I have done better by buying a no frills sub compact for $15,000? Sure. But I like a nice stereo, leather seats, backup camera, 10 air bags, very quiet drive train (all you hear are the tires on the road), minimal maintenance (2 year oil changes, 6 month tire rotations), wife not having to go to a gas station for almost 7 years now, and no concern at all over gas prices. Right now electric does not make sense for everyone, but for those like me that hit the sweet spot, it works. The bonus is I get to talk to a lot of different people that are curious about the car. I have a suspicion that car makers may realize electric cars may last significantly longer than gas driven ones, hurting their long time income.

I hear ya. My wife has a Prius. 48 mpg from 0-90mph and sitting in traffic only helps isn't bad. we have family 300 miles away tho, which isn't in range for the EVs we can afford.

I agree on the last point... very little minor work or maintenance to be done. very few parts to fail but because of that, any failures will be critical/mission-disabling.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The best thing that you can do for the environment in regards to vehicles is to maintain your vehicle and run it for years and years. Helps with the pocketbook too. Even better would be to restore and older vehicle and run it the rest of your life. Totally eliminates several vehicles worth of production pollution from the equation.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The best thing that you can do for the environment in regards to vehicles is to maintain your vehicle and run it for years and years. Helps with the pocketbook too. Even better would be to restore and older vehicle and run it the rest of your life. Totally eliminates several vehicles worth of production pollution from the equation.

Yeah, but too many people love the same ones I do (lookin' at you 2.5 liter guy :)) and the whole thing gets spendy (including needing more garage space)

View attachment 67036

Top Bottom