Are fixed blades still illegal in Indy/Marion County?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    That may be one interpretation of this:
    Municode
    Sec. 451-1. - Sharp objects or instruments on the person.

(a)
    It shall be unlawful for any person to carry around or have in his manual possession or control any ice pick or similar kind of sharp instrument, other than ordinary pocketknives, and such instruments described in subsection (b) of this section, unless the object is a necessary instrument of his lawful trade or occupation or for lawful use in his home, and is actually being carried and intended to be used for use in the performance of such trade or occupation, or for use in his home.
    (b)
    It shall be unlawful for any person to wear or carry in any public street or place, elevator, public vehicle or place of assemblage any hatpin, ornament or sharp or pointed object, which has an exposed point or edge of more than one-half (½) inch, unless the point or edge is protected with a guard so as to cover it and prevent injury to any person coming in contact therewith.

So, it appears that a fixed-blade of longer than 1/2" cannot be carried exposed. I don't know if a fixed-blade would be a "ordinary pocketknife", either.

Never heard of anyone getting "busted" for a knife ordinance, though.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    That may be one interpretation of this:
    Municode

So, it appears that a fixed-blade of longer than 1/2" cannot be carried exposed. I don't know if a fixed-blade would be a "ordinary pocketknife", either.

Never heard of anyone getting "busted" for a knife ordinance, though.

The way I read it is it seems as long as it's in a sheath it's fine. The point being exposed part.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    This is a great example of why we need state level preemption of ALL weapons laws, not just firearms.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    There are only 2 illegal cutting tools in Indiana. Autos and ninja stars. You can carry a sword around if you want to.

Don't forget Carmel, you can't have a spring assisted knife there.

I was not aware of the Indy ordinance. But the way I read it, it needs to be in a sheath. I know CA requires all fixed blade knives to be sheathed on the hip.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Don't forget Carmel, you can't have a spring assisted knife there.

I was not aware of the Indy ordinance. But the way I read it, it needs to be in a sheath. I know CA requires all fixed blade knives to be sheathed on the hip.

I hope this isn't true. I'm in Carmel quiet a bit and always have at least one assisted knife on me. Ill have to look into this.

1nthechmber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    Silly.....I can carry a "gun"but not an automatic knife...

Wiskey,Tango,Foxtrot(WTF)

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I am fairly certain that auto opening knives are now legal. I could be wrong though.

I did a quick search, but couldn't find anything. Where did you hear this?

Nope. Not yet, anyway. The bill (SB 181) passed the Senate. It still has to go to the House and be voted there, and then be signed by Gov. Pence.

It will not be in effect before July 1, 2013, anyway.

Keep an eye on the 2013 Legislative Session thread in the 2A forum for more information.

Blessings,
    Bill

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Likewise. I would be curious to see if the WalMart up there sells them...

I heard it on here, and someone did post the code I thought. It was said by an INGO advertiser in the Cutting Edge forum. I just looked through American Legal and the words "knife" "knives" "spring assisted "assisted opening" appears nowhere in the Carmel City code. The only thing related to knives that I found was about using knives to wound trees is the city parks. The only thing related to weapons that I found in the city code, was it's illegal to point a firearm at someone unless it's for defense of life or livestock.

So who knows really. Maybe someone else can find the code.

I believe it was Cubby from *Cassel Knives who said it. I trust him.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom