• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    There is somewhere, I believe Ohio but don't quote me, that any knife meant to be used as a weapon (defensive or offensive) is a no go.

In Indiana, I can't see it being a problem. Just like when a good shoot is a good shoot, I'd say a good stab is a good stab. I would guess (INGO legal experts correct me if I'm wrong) that the fact that you had to use a knife would strengthen your case; if the bad guy was that close, there was real danger.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    In any self defense situation, you've got to ask yourself is the threat imminent and unavoidable? Was your response reasonable and justifiable? Once the threat was eliminated, did you stop? I'm no lawyer, but if you can honestly say yes to all of those questions, possibly even having to prove it to a jury of your peers, then you should be fine. The bottom line is its your life, and your safety on the line. As the old saying goes, it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Something else to consider is to look into some form of modern martial arts, and learn how to effectively fight. If your interested in martial blade work, there are places that teach FMA all over the place. And quite likely, your liberal leaning family will be OK with it. A guy looks pretty innocent twirling around and swinging rattan sticks into a tire in the backyard, when in reality your actually honing in on a pretty deadly skill set that might save your bacon in a messy situation.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    If you are not violating any local ordinances the reason you are carrying it should be irrelevant. In a perfect world the police would never bother you about it all, but if they ask and you are concerned about replying "for self defense" just say "for any legal purpose."
    I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, etc.

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    Okay, I'm a very cautious person. I've read Indiana's knife laws over and over again, and basically anything that's not a throwing star, ballistic and isn't being carried to a school is legal. I've read online that dirks, daggers, military knives, switchblades, are all legal to carry.

Still, I get paranoid that I'm still going to get in trouble with police about some Law that I didn't know. I've tried to search my town's laws on carrying knives and couldn't find anything.

So question, will I get in trouble with police if for whatever reason, they find my knives and I tell 'em it's for self-defense? If so, then why does Indiana allow carry of military knives?

I'm asking because I've read many self-defense sources, including Marc MacYoung's "No Nonsense Self-Defense". From what he says, yes, I will get in trouble if "self-defense" is my sole purpose for carrying a combat knife. In general, self-defense with knives seem to be frowned upon.

Remember, I'm asking because of my anti-gun family (I still live with 'em unfortunately), and I need something for the mean time that I don't have guns. I'm not asking because I myself am anti-gun, because I'm not, I'm very pro-gun.

The state of Indiana allows the carry of knives for personal protection. I once spoke to a local officer and he said based on the law a person could technically carry a sword and it wouldn't be illegal. However, it would draw negative attention and would be frowned upon and he didn't recommend it. That said, I have always personally preferred to carry knives that are legal in other states and jurisdictions- generally single edge folding knives that are under 4". I personally avoid double-edge and automatic / spring-assisted knives. I avoid any specialty knives like belt-buckle knives, etc. Most importantly I avoid knives that are specifically designed for martial arts or self-defense such as the kerambit or anything with an aggressive-sounding name because in some states and jurisdictions martial arts weapons are frowned upon. Also, I make sure that the knife can also be used for utilitarian purposes if needed so that defense is not it's only potential use.With that in mind you also need to check with your local PD as their laws may differ. Never hurts to double check.

The important thing is to understand that a knife is like a firearm, it's a lethal force tool designed for lethal force threats. It should not be employed unless the situation warrants a lethal force response and it should not be brandished as an attempt to scare away the assailant. If the situation doesn't require the use of the knife it should not be drawn. Another important component is proper training. if you intend to carry it be sure to know when, where, and how to use it. Lastly, if you are faced with dealing with a police officer and he/she asks if you are armed be sure to let him/her know of the knife and where it's located.

Adhere to these suggestions and your chances of facing legal consequences for carrying a knife are pretty low.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    In any self defense situation, you've got to ask yourself is the threat imminent and unavoidable? Was your response reasonable and justifiable? Once the threat was eliminated, did you stop? I'm no lawyer, but if you can honestly say yes to all of those questions, possibly even having to prove it to a jury of your peers, then you should be fine. The bottom line is its your life, and your safety on the line. As the old saying goes, it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Something else to consider is to look into some form of modern martial arts, and learn how to effectively fight. If your interested in martial blade work, there are places that teach FMA all over the place. And quite likely, your liberal leaning family will be OK with it. A guy looks pretty innocent twirling around and swinging rattan sticks into a tire in the backyard, when in reality your actually honing in on a pretty deadly skill set that might save your bacon in a messy situation.

+1 Escrima is a singularly deadly art

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    No, not illegal for self defense. Although you might have a hard time explaining carrying a full size KATANA in public. Seriously, keep it reasonable (I carry an ESEE 6 a lot of the time), and you should be fine. Oh, and even more so it depends on the attitude of the law enforcement officer at that specific time. I think IMHO, you should be fine.

LakanDula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2015
    Nashville
    +1 Escrima is a singularly deadly art

I've heard of Eskrima - unfortunately, FMA is only designed to defend yourself - from an attacker in the Philippines. Meaning that if you tried to apply it to protect yourself from an attacker here in America, or in Brazil, it wouldn't work. Not pulling the race card here, but if you're familiar with Marc MacYoung, self-defense expert and co-founder of the site "No Nonsense Self-Defense", he tested many of the Filipino martial arts experts, and ended up getting them all with his offensives.

While I don't agree with everything Marc says, he does expose many of the "martial arts gurus" and common myths about self-defense.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've heard of Eskrima - unfortunately, FMA is only designed to defend yourself - from an attacker in the Philippines. Meaning that if you tried to apply it to protect yourself from an attacker here in America, or in Brazil, it wouldn't work. Not pulling the race card here, but if you're familiar with Marc MacYoung, self-defense expert and co-founder of the site "No Nonsense Self-Defense", he tested many of the Filipino martial arts experts, and ended up getting them all with his offensives.

While I don't agree with everything Marc says, he does expose many of the "martial arts gurus" and common myths about self-defense.

WHAT???

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    My personal opinion, is I don't want my adversary, that close to me ..... I prefer a firearm, and I understand your sit. ..... Do what you can, and wait and save for the time you can move ..... When you invite the family, over for Sunday dinner, greet them at the door, wearing your OC .....

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So question, will I get in trouble with police if for whatever reason, they find my knives and I tell 'em it's for self-defense? If so, then why does Indiana allow carry of military knives?

I . . . just . . . don't . . .

Ok, let's sort this out: first, why do you want to tell the police anything? Why are the police interacting with you?

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    When it comes to self defense. If I feel my life is in danger, I'd beat someone to death with a 16 inch double dong.

Don't care whether or not if some arbritary law says otherwise. I'd rather deal with that after the fact, than during.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    When it comes to self defense. If I feel my life is in danger, I'd beat someone to death with a 16 inch double dong.

Don't care whether or not if some arbritary law says otherwise. I'd rather deal with that after the fact, than during.

As long as there is no insertion I think you'd be okay

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'm asking because I've read many self-defense sources, including Marc MacYoung's "No Nonsense Self-Defense". From what he says, yes, I will get in trouble if "self-defense" is my sole purpose for carrying a combat knife. In general, self-defense with knives seem to be frowned upon.

Ok, so are we more worried about using the knife and what a jury might think if you have one of those awful, awful Billy Badass "combat" knives? Maybe, but the same can be said of those goofy "tactical" pistols.

Self-defense with knives CAN be more problematic because to be effective you will likely have to use it at sexual range (wrestling) thus assuming you will have to close with your threat.

If it is a threat, some may think that you can better be backing up.

I have had several knife SD cases, none of them got filed. Only edged-weapon I have had filed was a sword case. Case was later dismissed.

Top Bottom