• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've always wanted to purchase one, though I'm not sure when I'll be able to. I hear of the vast surplus of them that haven't even been out of the box, though I wonder if the supply of those is drying up in the wake of this latest panic buying. (Not implying that I know anything or any rumors, lest my innocent question trigger another run)

Are they still available? If so how much do they typically sell for (any condition) and who sells them?

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    They have not been affected by the panic. Never will be since they aren't high capacity or black. You'll get one from a private party or the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program). I think the regular grade one is about $600 from the CMP.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    You also have to meet their qualifications. If you do, you might have a ball driving up Camp Perry to pick one out in person. :)

bcd007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    They have not been affected by the panic. Never will be since they aren't high capacity or black. You'll get one from a private party or the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program). I think the regular grade one is about $600 from the CMP.

New York begs to differ...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You also have to meet their qualifications. If you do, you might have a ball driving up Camp Perry to pick one out in person. :)

I'm told that you'll get a better pick if you let them pick it out from stock and ship it. If you make the drive, you get to pick from what's on the rack rather than from the whole stock. Can anyone confirm that?

chuckyd46032

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    I just bought one from CMP and it is super. Price is $625.00 plus 24.00 shipping. This is actually my second.:rockwoot:

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    North and south stores

I'm told that you'll get a better pick if you let them pick it out from stock and ship it. If you make the drive, you get to pick from what's on the rack rather than from the whole stock. Can anyone confirm that?

This is true. What is on the racks is on the racks. If you order you could get something better or not. Most of the old guys go looking for something specific and want to hand select. If you read the boards over at the CMP they do reports and share what they found so others don't waste a trip. You can also call.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    This is what the North Store looked like a few months ago. The guys working behind the counters are extremely helpful and will help you "pick one out". Worth the drive!

Oh yes- I had to use restraint that day!

PS- Funny how the "greatest battle rifle ever" would be OK under the potential new rules...but then this isn't the weapon of choice for the bad guys... I think I'll open carry my M1...only in nice weather though! ;-)

erif6e.jpg
    [/IMG]

Last edited:

imp22b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Greensburg, IN
    I have purchased 2 M1 Garands from the CMP a service grade Springfield (SA) and a correct grade Harrington & Richardson (HRA). I elected to drive down to the Alabama store to hand pick my rifles though there is also a store at Camp Perry in Ohio. You can also mail order a rifle and it will be delivered to your house. There are some requirement to be eligible to purchase from them but most people should have any trouble.

Its well worth he effort to qualify and take a trip to one of the stores if you can.

Here are some pics from my trip in January last year. I believe their current inventory isn't as good right now since they have sold out of some grades.

6763690849_e35810fec4_b.jpg

6763691647_223066aa4a_b.jpg

6763691105_0d662f63af_b.jpg

6763690317_89cbcf5a51_b.jpg

jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Maybe a dumb question, but do people buy these primarily for a collection piece? Or do people actively go out and fire them? I would love to have one...such a huge part of history.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

:+1:

I did this last Saturday. They had a bunch of 'em too.

Found a really nice Rack Grade one ($475)

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I just came into a NICE M1 recently and I must say, I think its my #1 favorite rifle. I love how it would not be affected by any ban, yet was an assault weapon that was only tested in battle on millions of enemy troops proving itself to be (IMO) the best military rifle of all time.

Top Bottom