Are Microtech OTF auto knives really worth it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    What about a Ravencreast OTF? He is at every 1500 show.

Raven Crest is nothing more than a cheaply made Chinese knife. They (Raven Crest) will tell you that their product is assembled here in the USA (using Chinese parts) because of the federal laws that are still in place that make it illegal to import automatic knives. The fact is they are China made knives with China made parts using very low quality materials. Basically what a lot of companies do (including Raven Crest), is buy cheap China made knives, then add their logo and possibly a few other cosmetic details to the knife, and then they are less than honest (misrepresenting) about what they are selling. I call this sales tactic “re-branding to misrepresent”. Usually the prices on these re-branded knives are two to three times, or more than what you can buy them for before they have been re-branded. :twocents:

I have not seen Raven Crest at the Indy 1500 for several years now, but there is another vendor there on a regular bases that sells rebranded Chinese knives and a ton of counterfeits .....World Class Blades.

Added: Also, it should be noted that these companies (including Raven Crest) will tell you that they have a life time warranty on their knives. Their warranty and customer service is very suspicious, as I have heard about numerous problems relating to their so called life time warranties.

https://www.bbb.org/phoenix/busines...-gilbert-az-1000032088/reviews-and-complaints

Last edited:

Truckman68

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    NWI
    I am curious as to what you guys do with a 250 dollar knife that can't be done with a 50 dollar knife. I definitely appreciate quality and workmanship but when you can buy a gun for the same price as a knife I have trouble justifying it to myself. I am in no way denigrating you or the knives, I have friends that don't understand my love of firearms and their cost. God bless you and I am definitely in no position to tell someone else how to spend their money, I just don't get the price justification.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I am curious as to what you guys do with a 250 dollar knife that can't be done with a 50 dollar knife. I definitely appreciate quality and workmanship but when you can buy a gun for the same price as a knife I have trouble justifying it to myself. I am in no way denigrating you or the knives, I have friends that don't understand my love of firearms and their cost. God bless you and I am definitely in no position to tell someone else how to spend their money, I just don't get the price justification.

You cannot buy a good gun for $250 or even $400.........

Edge retention, materials used, workmanship, and brand names all play a factor in the cost of a knife. Right now the sweet spot for knives is around $200 IMHO ZT, Microtech and others are coming out with very very nice offerings in that particular price point right now. Most knife guys also have some pretty nice guns too, generally more so than self proclaimed "gun guys" in my experience.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The same things my $4000 Omega watch does over a $50 Timex, whatever I want! For some, it's not worth it, for others...

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

In the world of firearms you can buy a Wilson Combat or you can buy a Hi Point, or a firearm somewhere in between. In the world of knives you can buy $10 knives or you can buy $1000 plus knives, or a knife somewhere in between.

My point is, with everything that you can buy in life, you have low end and high end price points. IMO, price point usually reflects the quality that you are purchasing.

Last edited:

Truckman68

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    NWI
    I understand about quality, and a Wilson combat is definitely more accurate and reliable than a hi point. I guess what I'm asking as a person who is 48 years old and never spent more than 100 dollars on a knife is if it is more about appreciating these high dollar knives as a tool or as a kind of a useable art quality. I totally agree that at the end of the day we are all big boys and don't have to justify our spending to anyone. I was just wondering if there was something that I have not thought of. I also agree with Dean Crail about finding a good gun under 400 bucks. Lol

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I understand about quality, and a Wilson combat is definitely more accurate and reliable than a hi point. I guess what I'm asking as a person who is 48 years old and never spent more than 100 dollars on a knife is if it is more about appreciating these high dollar knives as a tool or as a kind of a useable art quality. I totally agree that at the end of the day we are all big boys and don't have to justify our spending to anyone. I was just wondering if there was something that I have not thought of. I also agree with Dean Crail about finding a good gun under 400 bucks. Lol

You can get a decent serviceable folder for $50, buy you can't get a decent OTF for under $200, if you want an OTF auto, you have to spend the money.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Have you ever held and operated a double action OTF Microtech knife?

I never spent over $30 for a pocket knife... till then.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    What about a Ravencreast OTF? He is at every 1500 show.

fVp6ZUph.jpg

Just to beat it further, Raven Crest is total garbage they sell a $15 Chinese clone for $190!! The ****ed up thing is you can get a Microtech UTX-85 for darn near that same price.

Truckman68

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    NWI
    I haven't had an opportunity to hold/inspect one. I can tell from your responses that I should do that then I may get a better understanding.thank you all so much for the feedback. Maybe I am afraid of getting hooked into another expensive hobby. Lol

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The same things my $4000 Omega watch does over a $50 Timex, whatever I want! For some, it's not worth it, for others...

The funny thing with watches is that a $20 Casio quartz watch will keep the time better than $10,000 Rolex automatic watch.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I haven't had an opportunity to hold/inspect one. I can tell from your responses that I should do that then I may get a better understanding.thank you all so much for the feedback. Maybe I am afraid of getting hooked into another expensive hobby. Lol

I see that you are in NWI. If you ever go to the Crown Point or Valpo gun and knife shows, look me up and you can handle all of the Microtech , Benchmade, and other higher quality knives that you want. Note: I'll be at the Crown Point show in two weeks...Dec. 19th & 20th at the Lake County Fairgrounds.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Most expensive knife I have ever bought is $150, and that was from Brad.

I was the same way, never knew why anyone would spend a $100 for a knife, when my $20 Walmart knife did everything I needed it to do. Then one day I met Brad at the Indy 1500, and held my first "high end" knife. It was a Spyderco Paramilitary 2. I don't know if it's actually considered a high end knife, but IMO it is.
    Just holding it you can feel the quality. The blade sharpness lasts longer than a $20 knife. It makes you want to keep cutting everything to see how long it takes to get dull.

My father was the same way, until I bought him a ZT0350 for Christmas a couple years ago. Now, he won't use any other knife.
    I bought that one from Brad as well.

My suggestion, meet up with Brad sometime, and bring $150 with you. You'll see why.

Truckman68

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    NWI
    Thanks for the insight and advise. I am going to go to the show so I will check him out. I don't know about being able to take 150. Lol

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Dean, we get along so this is far from a knock on you, but I don't buy Microtech's "change of heart" in the warranty department. I guess time will tell, Bladeforums will tell the story in the GBU at the very least.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Dean, we get along so this is far from a knock on you, but I don't buy Microtech's "change of heart" in the warranty department. I guess time will tell, Bladeforums will tell the story in the GBU at the very least.

I 100% agree, Microtech has a LONG way to go making reparations with customers over its far from lack luster service department. I know you had an issue with a knife and even my brother had an issue when he sent in his DOC Killswitch, he had seriously messed up the pocket clip (entirely his fault but that's another story) all Microtech had to do was take the clip off and fix it (we could not do it due to the proprietary hardware) It took 5 months to get the DOC back when it was all said and done.

I am getting ready to sent in my QD Scarab as after a year of EDC it finally broke and I have time with classes ending to ship it back to Microtech to be fixed so I will keep everyone updated as to how that goes. The rep I was talking to in the screenshot is a good guy (Jason McCoy) so I am putting my trust in what he says and I really hope I get it back in the stated time frame.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Well, I still like them and will likely buy more as I am able. Haven't needed the warranty.

Sort of amazes me that a person who is making this about warranty service would still buy a Colt or S&W firearm over a Ruger.
    But then that is me.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Well, I still like them and will likely buy more as I am able. Haven't needed the warranty.

Sort of amazes me that a person who is making this about warranty service would still buy a Colt or S&W firearm over a Ruger.
    But then that is me.

I thought S&W had good customer service? Never had to use it but the Yankee Marshal just posted a video about having to send in a gun and it went pretty well IMHO.

Top Bottom