Are new cars progressing in technology or getting worse?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Are cars built and designed better now than they used to be?

• Total voters

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Most modern vehicle can go 100k miles with little maintenance.

I remember my first vehicles needing near constant attention with a tuneup every 12-20k and lots of bits needing replaced then.

I used to enjoy working on vehicles. Now I enjoy not having to work on them.

Even a POS econobox has better handling and controls than the average car did in the 60s and 70s.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    With current engines being computer controlled, we have lower emissions, higher horsepower, and better fuel economy than ever before. Today, a lowly 4 cylinder engine can rocket a family car from 0 to 60 faster than those great muscle cars of the 60s and get 4 times the miles per gallon with almost no emissions.

On the other hand, there is some technology that is being designed to take the driver out of the equation. Lane control, auto-park, distance measuring with auto-braking. All with good intentions, but all making it so the driver is even more lazy an feels there is no need to learn the true dynamics of driving.

As for being built better, many years ago people bragged how they could have a wreck and the car show no damage, but that was after they spent months in the hospital recovering from injuries. Today's cars almost commit suicide to save the occupants. We all have seen cars so balled up they were unrecognizable, but the driver and passengers escaped with little or no injury.

As the owners manual of Mercedes says, we the manufacturer are trying to make the safest automobile you can buy, but you still can't violate the laws of physics.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I voted "pieces of crap" but I don't think that's universally true, just more common than not.

I don't believe they are designed better. I KNOW they aren't built better.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I agree, the styling on cars nowadays is almost ludicrous. I think decades from now we'll look back on the late 2000-2010's vehicles and they will be like how we view late 50's- 60's vehicles, overstyled and cheezy.

As far as engineering though, today's cars are by far the best we've ever had. Drivetrains, suspensions, paint, etc... last longer than ever and require very little maintenance. It's not uncommon to see cars last 200,000+ miles with nary a major problem.

The survivability of driver and passengers in modern cars is also quite impressive. Today's cars may not look pretty after a collision, but they do a great job protecting its occupants.

The only downside is cars are almost getting prohibitively too expensive for the average joe and jane. People used to be able to buy cars with 3 year loans, now 6 year loans are the norm!

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    My other vote is for "more complicated" which often can lead to it being a "piece of crap"

However, for the most part, they run well and for a long time, and don't rust out from under you either.

We're also making a lot more cars than we used to, so there are going to be more "lemons" by default even if you maintain the same rate of defect, which has actually gone down significantly.

Design wise, they are designed to be manufactured, not maintained, not rebuilt, and not repaired.

That is why drain plugs are put in goofy places, and the replacement of some components requires removing the engine and front suspension.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Well I think the article makes a good point about wheels. The wheels on the newer cars are so big and tires so small that they can't withstand a medium sized pothole without bending. I'll stick with my 16 inch rims.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I agree, the styling on cars nowadays is almost ludicrous. I think decades from now we'll look back on the late 2000-2010's vehicles and they will be like how we view late 50's- 60's vehicles, overstyled and cheezy.

As far as engineering though, today's cars are by far the best we've ever had. Drivetrains, suspensions, paint, etc... last longer than ever and require very little maintenance. It's not uncommon to see cars last 200,000+ miles with nary a major problem.

The survivability of driver and passengers in modern cars is also quite impressive. Today's cars may not look pretty after a collision, but they do a great job protecting its occupants.

The only downside is cars are almost getting prohibitively too expensive for the average joe and jane. People used to be able to buy cars with 3 year loans, now 6 year loans are the norm!

This.

The cost thing I think is a function of people wanting a lot more in their cars than in the past. If you wanted basic transportation, you'd get it for less, adjusted for inflation, than a similar model from 1990 or even 2000.

For example, a base model Hyundai Accent is about 12k. Could you get anything anywhere near that level in 1990 for 7k?

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I had to choose other, from a repairers stand point. I much rather work on newer model cars. For the most part they are far better engineered and crash worthy than older cars of even 10 years ago. But I don't think they are awesome. I just prefer working on a new car over older any day.
    I would rather be driving newer in a collision also.:twocents:

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    my Dakota has 213k on the engine and runs like new. My Cavalier just hit 100k and hasn't needed more than oil changes and brakes/tires...

They run longer and better, of course they are made of "cheap plastic" but oh well

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    IMHO, #1 advancement in vehicles:

Electronically controlled fuel injection.

No maintenance, usually lasts life of vehicle, better fuel economy, cleaner emissions, reliable starting and running (remember when you had to pump the gas before starting?). List goes on and on...

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Today's cars are the best we've ever had. The C6 Z06 Corvette makes over 500 hp, manages to get 25ish mpg, and with the right set of tires could get you thrown off a quarter mile track for not having a roll cage off the showroom floor. If you compare that to any previous mass produced Vette, everything else comes up way short in any performance category or in fuel economy.

Even in the early-mid 90s the last orginal 5.0 Mustangs and LT1 F-bodies were considered "fast," with a rated 225 hp and 275 hp. This kind of power can be had in affordable midsize sedans these days.

Top Bottom