• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whiteoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    In The Whiteoaks
    Deer are not that hard to kill, and a lot of the confusion comes from hunters that are calling one round better than another, is due to all of us wanting to have short, or no blood trails. When you are hunting near a property line putting a deer down in its tracks is a good thing. But I have yet to see a rifle capable of doing that every time that did not cause a lot of damage to the edible meat. Speaking about the belted Mag's of course, the are great killers, but NOT NECESSARY... I have killed quite a few deer with a .223 that were involved in car deer accidents. That don't make the .223 a great deer rifle. The .243 is a really good deer round and it's the standard minimum for Deer Hunting in many states, because it works. Yes the 270 and 30-06 are better but there is a price to be paid in recoil. I like the .243 and if a hunter who understands where a 100gr bullet needs to go will put it there, and avoid uncertain angles that may cause the bullet to have to penetrate bone before hitting the mark, will do well with the .243win. Its a great gun for the guys that like to shoot groundhogs all summer and get familiar with the gun. I would bet on the hunter with the most trigger time every time. And that is a point that some people miss about the .243 a guy in the farmland of Indiana can use one all summer on whistle pigs, then take it to a deer stand in the fall, and finish up on predators in the winter. That type of hunter is well served with a .243 and will kill deer well with one out to 300yards. The 243 just needs someone who understands its limitations and strengths. The same way we all became familiar with the limitations of our "Handgun Caliber" rifles in the past few years.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    -Dirty Steve;
    Hunting on 110 square private cattle ranch in Custer Co., MT
    With a group of guys I hunt with from IN, back when antelope were plentiful.
    No guides. I visited the area when a college buddy was doing graduate work
    at the Research Station in Miles City. Have friends there.
    243 rifles are a handicap.
    Prairie like here, you really can't judge distances after a day or two.
    Reference trees are usually in town or at the ranch house only.
    270 and up are standard operating protocol.
    Spot & stalk and get shot <300 is goal of our party.
    Spend the kinda money to make the trip,
    you just don't want to be handicapped more than necessary.
    YMMV

That's funny, my younger brother owns a ranch outside of Leadville, Colo.
    I would say 3/4 of the large animals he hunts and kills are with a old Browning lightweight safari in 243.
    My son spends at least 2 weeks every Christmas hunting with my brother and unless they are going after elk or muley's my son also shoots a 243.
    Bullet choice and placement.... A expanded bullethole in the heart.... Is a hole in the heart..
    Me... I'm a 300 Winchester guy..

Top Bottom