Are speed limits an infringement of our rights?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    One could argue that, but my side of the argument would be that the restrictions are placed upon those who cannot undertake the responsibility to carry/drive safely. This reasoning is why felons cannot carry or possess right?

The people who put others lives in danger(infringing upon their rights) are the ones I'm talking about. To say that everyone should be able to drive without speed limit is just ridiculous and if everyone here concedes that it is an infringement upon our rights then so be it, but I still support speed limits.

Your right of freedom only extends so far as to infringe upon the right of freedom of another person, right?

Fine, how exactly does traveling at a high rate of speed infringe on the rights of others?

And who gets to be the final arbiter of the standard of safety/responsibility? You? Me? .Gov?

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    I really think it would be nice if we could count on logic, from ourselves and our fellow motorists. I'm sure it would be a nightmare. I can't figure how speed limits are established. Nearby is a county road that has had the speed limit increased to 55 mph and it is narrow and has tons of driveways and blind dips. While a lot of the new 4 lane roads that are level and have limited access will limit speed to 35.:dunno:

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    How many people are capable of driving competantly at high speeds? How many people are capable of having the reaction time to push a pedal while paying attention to their surroundings?

I just googled and found multiple sources that state there are around 30,000-35,000 fatal car accidents per year. Of those about 17% are pedestrians, do they have no rights when people are driving out of control?

The day and hours that people are most likely to speed are Saturday and Sunday between midnight and 4 A.M. according to one study, and the likelihood of a fatal car crash is almost triple of that during morning rush hour to work. That's interesting.

There are already laws in place that we must abide by, so I'd say we already know who the arbiter is.

Also I'd like to add, I'm not wikipedia'ing information, I'm pulling it straight from the NHTSA - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. www.nhtsa.gov

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Why do we accept the notion that driving is a privilege? Speed limits inhibit my right to the pursuit of happiness. ;)

+1. Why do the same people who say firearms ownership is a "right" so readily accept the notion that driving is a "privilege"? If it is not "spelled out", how do we decide which freedoms are rights and which are privileges? And, WHO decides? Is land ownership a right, is abortion a right, is health care a right, is education a right, etc, or are they privileges bestowed upon us by the government?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You guys that say speed limits infringe on our rights... Do stop signs, school zones, stop lights, yielding ROW for emergency vehicles, etc also infringe on our rights?

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    Why do we accept the notion that driving is a privilege? Speed limits inhibit my right to the pursuit of happiness. ;)

...and when you are flying around 465, switching lanes without turn signals, cutting people off, and run into someone and kill them... Then guess what, you've ended that person's right to pursue happiness.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    ...and when you are flying around 465, switching lanes without turn signals, cutting people off, and run into someone and kill them... Then guess what, you've ended that person's right to pursue happiness.

Technically speed wasn't the attributing factor, as speed itself doesn't actually kill. I think that's what some of the people here are going for as to try and make other people look silly. However it is one of the factors that cause people to lose control, overcorrect, etc,. that DO cause accidents.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    like was mentioned in the thread earlier, the biggest contributing factor to accidents (as far as speed is concerned) is the differences in speed at which people drive, i.e. flying up on the rear of someone who is driving 10mph below the posted limit while doing 10-15 above.
    now think about the elderly population in this country that lack the reaction times to drive at such high rates of speed, should we infringe upon their rights or privileges to move about freely because some want drive faster? and who would make the determination that you are now too old to drive and therefore have lost that privilege (or right)?
    just food for thought

BTW, I grew riding motorcycles...............so i love to speed

and old people on the road scare me!

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    Then stay out of my way! :D Seriously, you've made a bunch of incorrect assumptions. Do you always get your excercise by jumping to conclusions? ;)

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    Technically speed wasn't the attributing factor, as speed itself doesn't actually kill. I think that's what some of the people here are going for as to try and make other people look silly. However it is one of the factors that cause people to lose control, overcorrect, etc,. that DO cause accidents.

Then stay out of my way! :D Seriously, you've made a bunch of incorrect assumptions. Do you always get your excercise by jumping to conclusions? ;)

Speed wouldn't be the attributing factor? OK then. YOU are SPEEDING, someone switches lanes and gets in front of you. YOU rear end them and KILL them. That better?

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Speed wouldn't be the attributing factor? OK then. YOU are SPEEDING, someone switches lanes and gets in front of you. YOU rear end them and KILL them. That better?

That isn't how it would work. The Speed didn't kill them, the crash killed them. The lack of applying the brakes in time killed them. I'm not arguing against you, but do you see what I'm saying? I have a feeling some people are basing their argument on this technicality.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom