Are suppressors allowed at shooting ranges?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I don't own a suppressor but was wondering if indoor or outdoor ranges prohibit their use. I ask because when I stopped to think about it, I have never noticed anyone shooting with a suppressor at any of the ranges I have visited.

Maybe I just didn't notice them.:D

Do you shoot with a suppressor at either indoor or outdoor ranges?

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    I don't know of any Ranges restricting them. You probably don't see many because there aren't as many out there as people think. That $200 stamp stops a lot of people from making the purchase.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    I've seen three, One at H&H (now Freedom Arms) and 2 at private clubs, Dj15802 is correct. they are not only expensive to buy, but the tax stamp is ridiculous.

Last edited:

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I dont know any range there not allowed. Though kinda useless unless ur the only one shooting. You can't enjoy the silence when you have people shooting unsuppressed around you.:(

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    They've been allowed at any range I've gone to. Scratching my head as to what would be the pretext a range would use to disallow them. There is probably some range, somewhere, that has in its rules that they are prohibited, but I can't imagine why.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I dont know any range there not allowed. Though kinda useless unless ur the only one shooting. You can't enjoy the silence when you have people shooting unsuppressed around you.:(

Ranges should have suppressed only days. That would make a pretty awesome time and allow people with suppressors to see and maybe even use different ones.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the input. I was daydreaming a bit about getting a suppressor but then thought "What's the point if I can't shoot it somewhere". I don't live on a farm so that is not an option for me.

I like the suppressor day at the range idea. Like a couple of you said - the price of the stamp keeps most people away.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I've used them at Dons guns, both the current range on lafayette rd and the one that got shut down up on 96th, Pops guns, and a goodly number of the Indiana DNR ranges. The only time I had any trouble was at the range in newcastle a year or two back. The rangemaster made a comment about how quiet my 10/22 was and the other 22s I had. I told him it was because they were suppressed. He wanted to know what suppressed meant and I explained as I pulled the suppressor off the .338BR rifle I'd been shooting subsonic ammo through. He turned white and said "those are silencers, they're illegal and I don't want you here!". I laughed at him because I thought he was joking but it turned out he was serious. I told him to call the big wheel at DNR and ask but he refused and insisted I get out before he called the cops. I told him to call the cops because they were probably more well informed than he was and he just turned purple. In hindsight it was a bit amusing but at the time I thought the guy was going to keel over and die. I explained to him the concept of registration, NFA and all that and also that I had a license to manufacture but it all went over his head. About that time a sheriffs officer came over to see what the fuss was, he had been shooting on the shotgun side of the range. I told him the guy was dying and needed an ambulance and the guy told the officer he wanted me arrested. The officer laughed when told why I should be arrested as he knew who I was and what I did. I transferred a can for some relative of his and he managed to calm the rangemaster down.
    So in my opinion you should probably ask the owner or rangemaster before taking your suppressors out and using them at a range. You may cause a heart attack.

Frank

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Fulton co conservation club has an umbrella "no class III firearms". So technically my SBR and can aren't allowed. But I doubt you'd have any problems unless you had something FA.

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    I don't think I could be a member of a gun club or shooting range that would not allow a NFA item. Thats a bit rediculous and doesnt help our 2nd amendment right. But I do know that FA items are not allowed at our club, but I can understand their reason for it, which is the same a 50 cals. I mean with the expection of FA or 50s (50s not being NFA items) I don't see how NFA Items are any different than any other guns. Just my 0.02s

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    As long as it is legal there should be no reason a suppressor is not allowed. I've used mine at Wilbur Wright in New Castle, and at Highsmiths new range.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    ...kinda useless unless ur the only one shooting. You can't enjoy the silence when you have people shooting unsuppressed around you.:(

This is probably why the OP doesn't see a lot of them... I can see leaving my rifle can on despite others on the firing line (mainly because of zero changes), but I don't bother unpacking the pistol can if others are around...

-rvb

Top Bottom