Are the days of good. surplus weapon prices behind us?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    So given everything going on in Europe, my interest in a M1895 Nagant Revolver peaked again. I know, the correlation is odd but that's the only revolver that comes to mind whenever I think of surplus weapons. Out of curiosity I decided to look them up and they've went through the roof! I hate I wasn't old enough to get one from Aim Surplus back when they had them for $100 a pop. Anyone else had this happen to them when looking up military surplus?

Also, if someone had a line on Nagants, I may be interested lol

Reale1741

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 22, 2020
    Jeffersonville
    It really depends on where you look. I've picked up some killer deals in the last couple years at small gun shows and flea markets. The prices aren't what they once were, but there are still deals to be found.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    The days of millions of men with rifles fighting each other are over, so the days with millions of surplus rifles are also over. I’ll take expensive surplus over thousands more widows and orphans any day of the week
    Oof not the point I was trying to make but I see your point lol

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I think it will change, but cheaper surplus stuff will remain. It just may look different.

For instance, police trade in handguns, CMP M9 pistols (hopefully), etc..

I was pretty excited when I saw that big warehouse of bolt action milsurp get liquidated through royal tiger. Ended up buying an Enfield. HUGE MISTAKE. That stuff is garbage. Totally wore out and past worth having.

Eventually that generation of stuff will be totally gone and another generation will take its place I figure.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think that it’s gone for another 60 years, if it ever returns at all. Maybe some day when a new class of weapons makes today’s weapons look antiquated there may be a new era of cheap surplus but it would be in a time when powder/projectile based weapons seem crude and ineffective

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think those days are mostly behind us. Just like a lot of things that are getting older, it is hard to "go back". The market is shrinking for milsurp stuff in general. Boomers are rapidly reaching the end of their consumptive years and the following generations are losing interest in anything "old".

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Boomers grew up in a world that valued their elders and are now elders in a world that values youth.

Not that many yutes care about grandpa's old rifle

If that was true, mosins wouldn't be going for hundreds of dollars.

No, what happened was young people got interested in historical firearms, and older folks have seen the history of these firearms and the demand online, and decided to cash in.

I believe the days of getting good affordable milsurp is behind us. Anything worth owning is well documented, and almost everyone has access to know what it is they own, along with going rates. Considering it's a finite source that grows smaller every day as they're either lost, destroyed, of bubba'd, it's only going up.

Just like how you can't enjoy a flea market or yard sale anymore because of antiques roadshow lol.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Started collecting milsurp's when i was in my teens in the 70"s prices were high for the times but they were a good investment for the present, my maternal grandfather got me started then i had several uncles too that sold or even gave me rifles, i still buy certain items now also, but there isn't much i need unless they are pristine examples. My grandson has a keen interest in my collection and has already picked out what he would like to have as well as my son doing the same.

Treel98

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2022
    Griffith IN

No, what happened was young people got interested in historical firearms, and older folks have seen the history of these firearms and the demand online, and decided to cash in.

I believe the days of getting good affordable milsurp is behind us. Anything worth owning is well documented, and almost everyone has access to know what it is they own, along with going rates. Considering it's a finite source that grows smaller every day as they're either lost, destroyed, of bubba'd, it's only going up.

Just like how you can't enjoy a flea market or yard sale anymore because of antiques roadshow lol.
    I wholeheartedly agree with everything you've said my friend. At times I sure am sad I was not old enough to be involved in guns back when the getting was good so to speak.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    You are IN the days of good prices on milsurp guns, you just haven’t looked around long enough yet to realize that.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Boomers are rapidly reaching the end of their consumptive years and the following generations are losing interest in anything "old".

Nah. Boomers just want a ****ing mint for anything they have, even if it wasn’t earned, and the generational transfer of wealth and income looks like it’s going to occur not except by grudging attrition.

Sweeping assumptions and generalizations suck, and it’s worse when they are wrong.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

I just don’t believe the younger folks are the driving force behind any of this. Just like the car auctions it is still boomers buying the majority…

Top Bottom