Are there any 1911's that are as reliable as a Glock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Yes, he says it will cost 5 times that of a Glock... Sorry for the typo, and yeah you can, he always recommends Wilson Combat among maybe another one or two I believe. He says if you get another you'll dump that kind of money into it "getting it up to par." At least that's what I remember him saying anyhow but 5 times is probably a bit high I agree.

I think what you said is kind of the draw for the Glock on guys like that's part, the fact a 1911 more "finicky" probably explains it well. But some people disagree with that fact to.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    Lets also keep in mind many glock users "upgrade" just about everything in their guns to get them to run as well as 1911's. While 1911 users get flak for going to a gunsmith to make their gun more reliable, its acceptable a glock user uses all the drop in parts to get them to shoot better. Match barrel, skimmer trigger, etc etc.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    They're just guns. I carry a custom officer sized 2011 and it's awesome! You know what else is awesome, $60 mags and finding any holsters that fit. I'm going to be switching back to Glocks for carry since my house is full of them and my wife is used to them. I also want the interchangeable parts/accessories and cheaper mags.

A lot of people don't like Yeager (yes, he is not the most likable guy) but he makes a lot of good points when you listen with an open mind. He also has good things to say about certain 1911s and not just Wilson. He seems to like Kimber now too so there's an option that is only the cost of 2-3 Glocks:stickpoke:

It's a long video so skip to 35:00 if you just want to see Yeager saying good things about a 1911

[video=youtube_share;dSZZDXUYV7c]http://youtu.be/dSZZDXUYV7c[/video]

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I think the best part about glocks is debating them. My first pistol was a glock 19. I shot it well, never had a malfunction, and it was inexpensive. Now, because I'm an American, I can spend the rest of my life searching for a better alternative. I've definitely found cooler.....

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    One of the best things Glock has going for it is price versus reliability. You can pick up a used Glock for in the low $400 range. A new one for slightly more. I'm not aware of any 1911's that sell for new at $500 that are good to go for carry.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Ammo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2014
    My Sig Scorpion 1911 full size has been 100% reliable after 650 rounds of mixed ammo. Yes, I know that's
    not a lot, but the g26 I had briefly had 2 failures in less than 250 rds (one dud and one stovepipe). I have no
    intentions of carrying a full size 1911. But given it's width, or lack of, I could. A Sig Ultra Carry would disappear
    IWB.

And I'm not saying the g26 was a bad hg because of these issues (both were with wwb). I just didn't like it.

Here's my Scorpion... (if the pic comes through anyways) 1911 scorpion 1.JPG

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As far as the Yeager thing goes, even he says that you can get a reliable 1911, just that you will pay a premium for it like 5 times or more than you would for a 1911... Then there are all of the reasons CM sited about why people run to glock over one. Like round count and other things. Plus being a 9mm guy. Plus he bases his opinion based on what he sees happen and I respect that. That also however doesn't mean that he didn't have people bringing cheap crappy 1911's to his classes.

My personal opinion is that 1911's and Glocks are well related to shotguns. Take this will a grain of salt or use things interchangeably as you apply to the both. Plus these are both high end brands with a big price tag that doesn't differ as much as a good 1911 and a Glock.

To a point a friend and I liken the 1911 and Glock debate to people who argue about Beretta and Benelli. Beretta is a gentleman's gun, and it is pretty. A Benelli is a work horse and won't let you down. And the list goes on, Beretta guys say Benelli's are awful on recoil or overrated. And Benelli guys call Berttas boat anchors and say they don't work. Berettas being gas guns run differently, like a 1911 and it's need for tight tolerances and for the most part to be fairly clean to function well. But if you have those things it will run amazing and there is a reason that people love them. And a Glock is like a Benelli, it may not be as soft shooting on the recoil (apply whatever you want on performance or anything else here) and a Beretta snob will look down on it for whatever reason. But, it will run filthy dirty with it being inertia driven over the gas system, the tolerance don't have to be tight (1911 reference) to make sure it's of quality, it doesn't have as many parts. And above all you can drop it in a swap and pull it out and it still runs fine! Heck you can even paddle your boat with it...

Each is appreciated and demands a huge market share as well as the fact that they still have their niches. If I get an autoloader give me a Benelli, if I get a over and under, well until recently you didn't have a choice, but from shooting some Beretta's I think I would have to go with one of those. This parallels me with I want to carry a Glock but have a huge want for a 1911 to play with at the range! This comparison could go on forever but 1911's and Glocks will battle on forever. Both are awesome for different reasons and should be appreciated as such no matter which side of the fence you sit. I personally own, Glock and Benelli more heavily than those on the other side of the fence. But I have also watched Beretta after Beretta crap out or have to be cleaned every 700-800 rounds (this was after days of hunting) but still after days of hunting the Benelli next to it run 6,000 that day no problem... So for that reason I am biased. On the Glock 1911 side, I don't have as much experience to go on, but I see a 1911 in my future for the range/to have if nothing else!

One more reason and for me it is at the top of the list. I love to modify a 1911. I buy them for the specific reason of modifying. It is to me very enjoyable and I learn more with everyone I do. Find a sweet G-I with exceptional frame to slide fit and gut it. Start from scratch and make it your own. I love it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    On the whole, I wish my Glocks were as reliable as my 1911s. I like some of the vids Yeager put out, but his 1911 video is useless BS. You can get very reliable 1911s for under a grand. My Sig has been perfect from day one, whether using the Sig mags or my normal WC carry mags. It was a $900 pistol that came with front strap checkering, night sights, extended slide release and thumb safety, mag well, beavertail grip safety and NP3 finish. It's been a great gun from round one. But, the key thing is that this gun was absolutely reliable right out of the box. And, it does not eject brass into my face like most of my Glocks like to do.

I've had issues with Glocks ranging from the BTF issue mentioned above, failure to cycle cleanly until after the 150 round mark (NP3 G19), mags that don't drop free (G29), trigger that failed to reset consistently (G29), occasional stove pipe (G20). My G23, G27 and G21 have been good IIRC. Not to mention, each carry Glock has needed trigger work and money spent on night sights. I'm not knocking Glocks at all though. I love the things, but am realistic regarding the 'Glock Perfection'.

Can you find a reliable 1911 for under a grand? Absolutely!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Meh, one of my 1911A1s was made in 1924. After a reconditioning and a new mag it's never missed a beat, was my EDC for years. Don't know when the oldest Glock was manufactured so we'll just have to see how they work when they're 90.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    If you want reliability, shoot a revolver :rockwoot:

On a serious note though I've seen videos of all kinds of 1911s shooting flawlessly and malfunctioning and both at the same rate as glocks with the same said observations. Recall that many soldiers praised the 1911 for its reliability in combat and the Austrians have said the same about their glocks so it really does just come down to preference.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Lovemachine, if you want a killer deal on what must be the only unreliable 1911 on the planet, have I got a gun for you.

I'll take it! PM sent.

i have personally experienced more malfunctions from revolvers then autos.

Other then that I really don't have an opinion. :dunno: I have had malfunctions out of Glocks and 1911s. This is my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. 1911 malfunctions most typically involve bad ammo/reloads, bad or improper magazines, or extractor not being tensioned properly. Polymer guns tend to be more prone to "limp wristing".

I never recommend 1911s to new handgun owners. I currently have a safe full of poly pistols including Glock, M&P, PPQ, XDm. I keep a Sig next to my bed. I carry 1911 or a Jframe. Not sure what that all means. All of those guns are as reliable as my Glock.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'll take it! PM sent.

Other then that I really don't have an opinion. :dunno: I have had malfunctions out of Glocks and 1911s. This is my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. 1911 malfunctions most typically involve bad ammo/reloads, bad or improper magazines, or extractor not being tensioned properly. Polymer guns tend to be more prone to "limp wristing"

2nds if this deal falls through......:)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Same here, and at much lower round counts. I've broken a Taurus and had an issue with a Ruger out of the box. I've reloaded some ammo with inconsistent burn that left powder under the extractor star causing lock up.

Top Bottom