Are There Any Indiana Suppressor Manufacturers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Seems like an aluminum can would lead a short and unhappy life on 5.7x28.
    Yep. IMO not a good choice. Even with just 22lr using aluminum limits what chemicals you can use for cleaning. There's a reason no one uses aluminum baffles anymore

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Yep. IMO not a good choice. Even with just 22lr using aluminum limits what chemicals you can use for cleaning. There's a reason no one uses aluminum baffles anymore
    Say what you want. Huntertown did it and my FA cans still run fine ten years later. You don’t need stainless to shoot higher pressures.

And if you’re chemically cleaning your 22 baffles, you’re missing the quiet performance of a sealed can.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Say what you want. Huntertown did it and my FA cans still run fine ten years later. You don’t need stainless to shoot higher pressures.

And if you’re chemically cleaning your 22 baffles, you’re missing the quiet performance of a sealed can.
    Sealed? This can can't be taken down to clean?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Put your aluminum baffles into the dip and let them soak over night and let me know if you find them the next day
    Ive soaked non automotive aluminum many times in my Safety Klean machine with no ill effects.
    Its a parts cleaner not an acid hot tank from days of old.

Edit, I just talked to that brother, he said at cleaning time he unscrews the can and drops both pieces in a coffee can full of Safety Kleen and it might sit for days before he finishes cleaning it.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Ive soaked non automotive aluminum many times in my Safety Klean machine with no ill effects.
    Its a parts cleaner not an acid hot tank from days of old.

Edit, I just talked to that brother, he said at cleaning time he unscrews the can and drops both pieces in a coffee can full of Safety Kleen and it might sit for days before he finishes cleaning it.
    Ok? What are you cleaning off the aluminum? Caked on lead?
    Edit: is suppressor parts what you're talking about or just automotive parts?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Ok? What are you cleaning off the aluminum? Caked on lead?
    Edit: is suppressor parts what you're talking about or just automotive parts?
    No auto parts, from whole suppressors to suppressor parts, gun parts, billet and forged aluminum. The oldest can we have is 40 + years old, 45 acp, endless lead bullets shot through it.
    Its nothing but ******** billet alumiun on the inside.
    It hasn't melted away.
    I did metal fabrication for quite a few years. I've never seen aluminum just melt away in a parts cleaner or by bore cleaner that we have used.

You haven't said what cleaners just melt aluminum away?

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Point I'm trying to make with my post is aluminum is a more reactive metal and there's more attention needed when using chemicals to clean it when comparing to 17-4. That's all. And I was being a little facetious with my dip comment. The dip will damage the aluminum if left long enough. I'm sure it'll completely eat them over a long enough timeline.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Point I'm trying to make with my post is aluminum is a more reactive metal and there's more attention needed when using chemicals to clean it when comparing to 17-4. That's all. And I was being a little facetious with my dip comment. The dip will damage the aluminum if left long enough. I'm sure it'll completely eat them over a long enough timeline.
    Back to my original point... I don't clean my cans. Even my 22 suppressors. If you're shooting 15,000 rounds through a rimfire can, barely enough to clog it up, then maybe, but I don't know anyone that shoots that volume that doesn't have an ultrasonic cleaner. Forget the chemicals, use an ultrasonic.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Sealed? This can can't be taken down to clean?
    Yes, it can be taken down. Soak it in hot water for 15 mins and take it apart. Better yet, use an ultrasonic cleaner.

People WAY over-stress the need to clean rimfire cans. Don't clean centerfire suppressors. Clean rimfire suppressors as absolutely needed, but not more than that. Suppressors sealed with funk are quieter.

Guns need to stay clean, cans run better dirty. Most suppressor owners don't understand this.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying @NyleRN doesn't have a legitimate concern about keeping cans clean. I'm only saying that suppressors sound better polluted than they do sparkling clean.

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Yes, it can be taken down. Soak it in hot water for 15 mins and take it apart. Better yet, use an ultrasonic cleaner.

People WAY over-stress the need to clean rimfire cans. Don't clean centerfire suppressors. Clean rimfire suppressors as absolutely needed, but not more than that. Suppressors sealed with funk are quieter.

Guns need to stay clean, cans run better dirty. Most suppressor owners don't understand this.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying @NyleRN doesn't have a legitimate concern about keeping cans clean. I'm only saying that suppressors sound better polluted than they do sparkling clean.
    Cleaning schedule is going to be up to the end user for sure. Mostly based on how much you value your time. The longer you go without cleaning your 22lr can the longer it'll take to clean it. I'm not one of those that say you need to get the baffles sparkling clean. Knocking most of the big stuff off is sufficient. Are these baffles skirted? If not, going 15k intervals will be a chore. You'll most certainly need a pusher. A dirty can is a quiet can. Sure. But by how much? 1db? 2 maybe? Can your ear discern 2 db when in the 115-117 range? Mine can't. Every manufacturer that has produced an aluminum baffled 22lr state to not use an ultrasonic cleaner. Now, if Travis wants to say that's ok for his and is willing to warranty it if anything goes astray then great. That's if he's still in business in say 5 years from now, which is something to think about also when buying new manufacturer's suppressors. I think the big thing here as when it comes to materials is to see what the market wants. Right now I'm seeing every new 5.7 rated suppressor being made from 17-4. I hope Travis does well with the business. If he enjoys it and makes money then let him. As to sealed rifle rated cans you have way different pressures exiting into the blast chamber. Plus you're not shooting lead projectiles. Most all carbon build up and erosion is on the blast baffle

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Can you get Travis to send this 22lr can to someone like Griffin for testing on the Pulse? Austin loves to demo others cans against his. If it does extremely well it would be basically free advertisement and possibly make others push the envelope for performance. Just a thought

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Can you get Travis to send this 22lr can to someone like Griffin for testing on the Pulse? Austin loves to demo others cans against his. If it does extremely well it would be basically free advertisement and possibly make others push the envelope for performance. Just a thought
    I have one I can send him, sure.

Top Bottom