• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    i didnt know if any one did this and thought it would be really interesting to. as for me i have NO experience out in the field except for hunting but as for the edible vegetation i dont have the slightest clue what is good or bad. i have some books and guides but still dont feel confident. if i could find some people that did this it would be a huge learning curve for me as well as everyone else to hone there skills even more. im not asking for an invite if anyone would take me out, im just wondering if anyone does this.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I am in the same way, I'm pretty sure I can pick out some healthy plants but not sure I would bet my life on it.

I have researched some diff classes and most are to high for me. Some local ones I found are $400-500 range for 2 days. If I'm going to spend money on a class it would be from here. Class-Schedules It's $350 but my kids can join in for free so all three of us get to learn.

It would be nice if some local guys would get together and go over what they know as a group. That way everyone could improve their skills.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It sounds like someone that is prime to be a Boy Scout leader. No better place to learn what you are looking to learn. Plus you can pass it on to a new generation while in the field. Or assistant BS leader.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Why not try the survival part minus the food concerns first.

Take easily prepared food and I for one don't plan on "roughing it" or "living off the land" if I can help it. Add in some navigation or other survival skill builder first. I would say try to master the shelter, fire, water part before you worry about the foraging for food part.

Huniting you said you had some experience with so thats not that big of a learning curve.

Baby steps.. Just the effort counts in my opinion..

I agree that some "classes" are expensive but what does learning the hard way cost? If you can't pay someone for their experience then educate yourself.

I have tried to make time for one of WETSU's training classes but haven't been able to coordinate, I know they aren't cheap but I hear nothing bad about them and alot of great things about his real situation training.

Find a partner or build your own group, have emergency comms setup with a "come get me" person setup, let people know where your going to be, try just a primitive camp site at a local camp park.

Just my thoughts, best of luck..

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Why not try the survival part minus the food concerns first.

Take easily prepared food and I for one don't plan on "roughing it" or "living off the land" if I can help it. Add in some navigation or other survival skill builder first. I would say try to master the shelter, fire, water part before you worry about the foraging for food part.

Huniting you said you had some experience with so thats not that big of a learning curve.

Baby steps.. Just the effort counts in my opinion..

I agree that some "classes" are expensive but what does learning the hard way cost? If you can't pay someone for their experience then educate yourself.

I have tried to make time for one of WETSU's training classes but haven't been able to coordinate, I know they aren't cheap but I hear nothing bad about them and alot of great things about his real situation training.

Find a partner or build your own group, have emergency comms setup with a "come get me" person setup, let people know where your going to be, try just a primitive camp site at a local camp park.

Just my thoughts, best of luck..
    :+1: Very well said.

You do have a very good idea OP. Try organizing an event here on INGO and I am sure you will have several people interested. It would probably be a diverse group that would all have their own knowledge to share and would be a great experience.
    There would be plenty of benefits to events like this. Plus it is nice to meet fellow INGOers and who knows, depending on the locations of the people attending you may meet a SHTF buddy or two!

dlbrown75

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    9   1   1
    May 2, 2011
    Newcastle, IN
    I live in east central and would be willing to participate in a weekend survival trip. Like bug out bag only and see what gets done from there. If no one else wants to plan everyone interested pm me and ill organize it.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    i didnt know if any one did this and thought it would be really interesting to. as for me i have NO experience out in the field except for hunting but as for the edible vegetation i dont have the slightest clue what is good or bad. i have some books and guides but still dont feel confident. if i could find some people that did this it would be a huge learning curve for me as well as everyone else to hone there skills even more. im not asking for an invite if anyone would take me out, im just wondering if anyone does this.

Umm, the Boy Scouts. If you have any scout-age relatives, get them into it, and volunteer as an assistant scoutmaster.

If you just want information, go to the scout store and look through their books. They have DOZENS that deal with the things you mentioned, and everything else concerned with survival/outdoorsmanship.

(edit: guess I should have read the entire thread before posting.)

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    WETSU, is out for a few hours.

I have offered several times here to have group training rucks, overnights etc. Only one guy ever took me up on it.

My experience is that many will say "I'm in" but few ever carry through with it.

WETSU's class is good, I took the winter survival one. EDC gear only, which for me was my messenger bag. Two days, cold down to single digits. Shelters, Navigation, Fire, Water, Medical etc.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm back. Yes, I do teach various weekend survival classes, from very bare bones, "walk into the woods with whats in your pockets" to a Bug Out Class where you can bring your BOB and really wring it out. Every class covers shelter construction, fire building, wilderness first aid, food gathering, water treatment, land nav, signals and dozens of other tidbits.

I am teaching the Bug Out 101 class here in NE Indiana on Novemebr 19-20. It is about a 30 hour course, all weekend, on the ground, living and doing. Cost is $400. Every class I teach I ask if the students got their moeny's worth and if not they get a refund. I have never had anyone take me up on it.

Let me now if you would like to jump into this class.

Russ

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Just throwing this out there but you could simulate your own survival outing. Go to a nearby state park and take off a couple miles in the woods and attempt to setup camp. Then the next time attempt to setup camp and then shelter for a short stay. Then the next trip add in an overnight trip and build on that. I personally found out that I could survive for the short term but really prefer my bed and warm house any day of the week:D

Top Bottom