• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So I made the mistake of going to the gun range today and while there I stared talking about cans with one of the guys working there. They have one there that I am going to get but waiting to hear back from my local chief. I started thinking that if I buy one I know I will buy more plus I have been eyeing a little SBR too. My question is this..

I contacted guntrustlawyer.com which the gun shop referred me too. They sent me a basic list of options and fees. Starting at $199 all the way to $2,500
    it lists a bunch of choices and says there are somethings the base will not cover, for example it says the base trust only allows 4 authorized users. See pictures for more detail.

I will more less be the only shooter. While I do not currently go shooting with my family I would like to be able for them to shoot the weapon while I am there, same for friends. Not sure how that works but I guess I could ask the lawyer. I have tried to google some of this but have come up empty.
    IMG_1232_zpsa13c9bd3.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    IMG_1233_zps3b1bd5c8.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    WOW, I never knew there were different levels, only knew of the 199.00 version. I have never read any posts about different levels/types. I would be interested to know this answer myself.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I would speak to a lawyer and have them answer your question. However, from my limited knowledge, it seems the professional package isn't a revocable living trust anymore, as a RLT does not provide asset protection from creditors. It seems to be a different type of trust, maybe a irrevocable living trust. But like I said, to know for sure, speak to a lawyer who has no dog in this fight.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Generally speaking, trusts can have different provisions, depending on what you want to achieve and what your risk tolerance is. It looks like that guy has parsed out all the options and assigned value to them. Free market at work.

Skimming the options, there is somewhat more work involved in preparing something with all the bells and whistles. It is up to the buyer to decide what options are necessary.

Hopefully, the guy that runs that site is licensed in Indiana or works with someone in this state to cover all the bases. Each state may have slightly different rules about how trusts are properly formed.

As stated up-thread, it is a good idea to talk to someone in your area about what your needs are and what the options are.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I spoke with Grant Liston today and he is handling the trust for me. He was very knowledgeable and great to talk with. He already has it in the mail! I will give an update when I get it all taken care of.

Mike Grasso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 5, 2014
    Westfield
    I had mine done locally here in Indianapolis.
    It pretty much is boilerplate, but I will say that physically talking to someone and even face to face is worth it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If you are present they don't have to be on your trust to handle your NFA item. Don't let that be the reason you get one. There are plenty of other great reasons!

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    If you are present they don't have to be on your trust to handle your NFA item. Don't let that be the reason you get one. There are plenty of other great reasons![/QUOT

No it was more just to make it easier for me. I did not add anyone outside of my household.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Received my trust in the mail yesterday. I am very happy with the turn around time, I think I spoke with grant Thursday about it. I recommend him highly.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I spoke with Grant Liston today and he is handling the trust for me. He was very knowledgeable and great to talk with. He already has it in the mail! I will give an update when I get it all taken care of.

+1 Grant. Don't go cheap on an NFA trust. He has answered emails from me months after he did the trust. He's a good guy, charges a fair price, and does incredibly fast work.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    All those different "levels" are part of the same trust. He's just making the language more comprehensive if you pay him more money. They're still all revocable living trusts, there's just more language and detail in the trusts that you're buying for more money that can more specifically tailor it to your needs/wants.

Think of it as buying a car. The base model is perfectly legal, runs just as good and gets you where you need to go, but the higher trim levels have more options and bells-and-whistles. It all comes down to what you need and want.

Go with Grant Liston though. He's a good guy and comes highly recommended around here.

Also, I don't like some of guntrustlawyer's scare-tactic advertising, like telling you that your wife will go to jail if she knows the combo to your safe and you have your SBR in there if it's not on a trust.

Top Bottom