Are we going to regret this white-washing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    People are stupid. lets get rid of this flag cause it represented slavery (which it did not since it is not the Confederate flag) But it is ok to have the American Flag flying that DID represent slavery for 100 or so years. The "Confederate flag" only represented that army for less then 4 years. IDIOTS there like gun grabbers not a ounce of logic among them.

Not following the logic. The confederate battle flag did represent oppression, whether slavery is included or not.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    First, the story:

National Cathedral Will Remove Confederate Flags From Stained Glass Windows : The Two-Way : NPR

Now I'm not a fan of the rebellion, but all this is too much for me.

Given how we look upon what we've lost because of the mercurial decision of old (e.g. put clothes onto nude painting, destroy old building, pave over historical locations), I can't help but think future generations will look unfavorably upon us for these deeds.

I've never been a fan of the Confederacy, the Confederate flag, or for some of what it stood. However, it is one of the most significant symbols in our country's history, and I do believe it has come to represent some things to people that have nothing to do with slavery and everything to do with being defiant toward excessive government authority. I've also felt that because of its history it would be highly offensive to many people, again, due to the slavery connection. I've never wanted to have anything to do with it because I'm pretty sure many friends and people I love and respect would find it offensive.

That said, I view this white washing as a serious attack on free speech. I've got DEEP concerns with that, and I've always been very wary of those who are militant about "tolerance," as from my experience, they are the least tolerant of people with differing points of view.

Just my 2 cents.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Yeah, this is starting to feel like Soviet-era sanitizing of history.

The flag is a symbol. It had a certain meaning when it was adopted. We get to decide the meaning of that symbol for our generation, and it doesn't necessarily have to have the same meaning. Future generations can decide the meaning of the symbol for themselves.

I for one feel insulted that the true confederate flag is never flown.

ibRvG45.png

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    It's not secret that the civil war was a states rights issue fronted by slavery. I don't see the Japanese, German, or Korean flags under social imprisonment by association granted that there are a lot less of them. It doesn't make sense that 150+ years later we are still talking about a historical flag. There's always something you can learn from history, but SJW liberals have an obsession of removing white history in a country that is founded by whites and 65% white...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It's not secret that the civil war was a states rights issue fronted by slavery. I don't see the Japanese, German, or Korean flags under social imprisonment by association granted that there are a lot less of them. It doesn't make sense that 150+ years later we are still talking about a historical flag. There's always something you can learn from history, but SJW liberals have an obsession of removing white history in a country that is founded by whites and 65% white...

Probably not the best way to say it....

Kut (doesn't see it that way)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yes, American History.... it's all OUR history.
    Slavery, civil war the confederacy. Blacks. Whites. Yes it's OUR history. And it doesn't seem too far a stretch to think SJWs seem to want the white parts they don't like erased.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Slavery, civil war the confederacy. Blacks. Whites. Yes it's OUR history. And it doesn't seem too far a stretch to think SJWs seem to want the white parts they don't like erased.

Which parts are the White parts?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Which parts are the White parts?

Kut. C'mon man, I'm tired of playing, guess what Kut's asking. Just say what's on your mind. You know the context. You know what we're talking about. If there's a white man associated with the confederacy, or a symbol of "whiteness" associated with something politically incorrect, the SJWs want to remove it. They're taking down statues, removing symbols and flags, everything that offends them, and it seems every "white" thing of the past offends them. I'm not saying those things exclusively belong to whites, if that's your angle.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Kut. C'mon man, I'm tired of playing, guess what Kut's asking. Just say what's on your mind. You know the context. You know what we're talking about. If there's a white man associated with the confederacy, or a symbol of "whiteness" associated with something politically incorrect, the SJWs want to remove it. They're taking down statues, removing symbols and flags, everything that offends them, and it seems every "white" thing of the past offends them. I'm not saying those things exclusively belong to whites, if that's your angle.

White people have apparently learned way too well from minority victimhood tactics. The things that are being removed aren't being removed because they are "White," they are being removed because they think it represents an unflattering part of our history... that isn't something that unique to any particular group.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    White people have apparently learned way too well from minority victimhood tactics. The things that are being removed aren't being removed because they are "White," they are being removed because they think it represents an unflattering part of our history... that isn't something that unique to any particular group.
    Kut's got a point here. Once they come after the Minnesota hot dish or other distinctively white things, then I'll side with Jamil.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Recap. You posted in response to the above, to which I responded the way I did. I don't feel victimized. I don't claim to be a victim of anything. I'm supporting a statement that I think touches on the sentiment that fuels the virtue signaling SJWs are so fond of. Watch a few of the SJW episodes of South Park. That's more to the point. It's not about victimhood. It's not my flag they're taking away. It's not my history that they're removing. It's about pointing out the nonsense of it.

Kut's got a point here. Once they come after the Minnesota hot dish or other distinctively white things, then I'll side with Jamil.

Context, man.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Recap. You posted in response to the above, to which I responded the way I did. I don't feel victimized. I don't claim to be a victim of anything. I'm supporting a statement that I think touches on the sentiment that fuels the virtue signaling SJWs are so fond of. Watch a few of the SJW episodes of South Park. That's more to the point. It's not about victimhood. It's not my flag they're taking away. It's not my history that they're removing. It's about pointing out the nonsense of it.

Context, man.

Do you not recall the *****ing and moaning in Washington or Oregon, about the MLK quote at the college that wasn't "inclusive" enough? Or Bill Cosby? I was reading a list with the best 100 tv shows ever, and The Cosby Show wasn't even listed. Guilty or not, prior to us learning about his raper tendencies, that show, hands down was one of the best ever, often cited in the top 10... but now, not even on the radar. So, Jamil, it's not just "white" history that's being reimagined, it just history in general.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Do you not recall the *****ing and moaning in Washington or Oregon, about the MLK quote at the college that wasn't "inclusive" enough? Or Bill Cosby? I was reading a list with the best 100 tv shows ever, and The Cosby Show wasn't even listed. Guilty or not, prior to us learning about his raper tendencies, that show, hands down was one of the best ever, often cited in the top 10... but now, not even on the radar. So, Jamil, it's not just "white" history that's being reimagined, it just history in general.

Maybe its just because he's a rapist no one wants to associate with or be associated with in any manner

Top Bottom