Are You A Early Bird Or Night Owl? Which Is Better?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Fun discussion about what types we are. Will be especially useful for those of us that know each other. :)

As far as human studies I put little stock in them. A few studies showing night owls are a certain way can be contradicted by studies showing them the opposite.

Being in manufacturing where we use tools like 5 Why, 8D, etc. we can at times (not all the time) determine a root cause. The human body has way to many variables that can be quantified to really say unequivocally that "A" causes "B" and so on.

There are studies out there that say if you don't get up early and eat a good breakfast and are overweight, that is the cause. Could be. Might not be.

And as we all know, we can find anything on the internet to support our beliefs, right? Bon Jour!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Always been an early bird and a light, fitful sleeper. I worked 3-11's for a couple of years because it was the only shift available, and it was miserable. Going to sleep at 1-2 and still waking up between 5 and 6 because that's what I do. Forget about midnights. I got no sleep at all when I worked midnights because I can't sleep during the day, even with comforters tacked up over my windows.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't think my natural pattern fits into a 24 hour day. My body would sleep for 9 - 10 hours, then go for 16 - 20. I've become more of a morning person, but have no problem working productively well into the AM hours if I know I can sleep the next day.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I [STRIKE]work[/STRIKE] at work from about 2:00 pm to 1:00-3:30 am. I come home and go to sleep. I wake up when I wake up. I prefer the evenings. But my days off are usually regualr hours. Up about 8:00ish and in bed by midnite or 1:00. That's only a few hours difference. My wife is a nite owl also. BUT............ as we get older, a long day of normal life and we're done by 11:00 pm.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    My last 2 jobs were nights. I worked 3 - 11 for 12 years. Then, 1 year on days. Next job was 15 years of 1745 to 0600. Retired 2 years now. Usually go to bed around 1 am. If I get out of the house within an hour of waking up, I'm good to go. If I putter around in my office, or start watching TV, it's about 3 pm before I get my energy burst.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    For me it's always about the job, if it's early I'm early. I catch up sleep when I get the chance or go to bed early.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm another early bird, always have been, and like the others have said I'm most productive in the morning and seldom do too much in the evening. The other members of the family are all night owls, so I have observed the differences quite extensively and think that study is utter b.s. The night owls are worthless when they first get up, my daughter considers waking up a "process" that takes hours. Each type just has different periods when they are most alert.

I will say that it seems to me that it is probably better to be a night owl. I assume it is because they are the majority, but just about any kind of entertainment such as sports, TV, etc. starts at a time more suited to night owls than early birds. There really isn't much to do at 4:00 am, and it is difficult to get much accomplished without making any noise, which the night owls don't care for, so my most productive period of the day is usually wasted.

Fortunately, I am also introverted, so I like being by myself in the morning. I have often wondered if there is a connection between being introverted and an early bird?

Kinda the same with me. That's my "me time"... coffee and INGO when not working. Coffee, work and INGO when working from home (no INGO at work unless I want to use my phone, and that's just too much of a pain in the butt). :):

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I haven't figured out what's behind this yet, but I am an "occasional" insomniac. Maybe stress from work and the lack of time to wind down sufficiently before going to bed? Don't know. There are some nights that I just can't seem to fall asleep, even though I feel like I am more than tired enough to. Then other nights I'll sleep like a baby for 10 hours. Typically, I tend to sleep well when the previous night was restless, maybe from utter exhaustion.

I also found that I really DO NOT like sleep aids like melatonin and some of the other products that are out there. Although they really do work well, what I found is that they are slightly habit forming, even though they advertise that they are not. If I take that stuff for even just one night, the next night will be impossible to fall asleep without it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have always been a late nighter. In my youth 3-4 hours would get me by, about every 5-6 days I crashed and slept 6-7. My wife worked 3rd. It was great. After 11pm the house is now quiet and I can do what I want. There is just no advantage to being a earlier riser at this point. I sleep best 7 to 11:30 am. i grab a nap when I need it later in the day.

Top Bottom