Are you adding any specific preps for Ebola?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    How about a thread dedicated to ebola-specific personal preps since the other two Ebola threads are focused on news and US policy on ebola?

Have you added to, improved or changed any of your personal preps?

ClydeB

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Southern Hoosier
    How about a thread dedicated to ebola-specific personal preps since the other two Ebola threads are focused on news and US policy on ebola?

Have you added to, improved or changed any of your personal preps?

Still have all the items I bought for the H1N1 flu scare a few years back. The only thing I have recently added is the Sam's club multipack of disinfectant wipes. Mades it handy to keep a container of them in the garage, car, office, etc.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Well, since ebola is mostly fatal, and it's not practical to treat infected people on my property, I think my best bet is to put up "trespassers will be shot" signs and enforce them. i work in an industry that deals with plasma based products every day….don't imagine that we're not concerned. The precautions we take to ensure the purity of our products are comprehensive, but nothing compared to what is needed to stop this disease if it gets epidemic in the U.S…..

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    Was discussing this in another forum. I posted this link there as I thought it had some good high points.

Ask Tess: What is the difference between N95 and N100 respirator masks? | Ready Nutrition

Ebola is a very concerning health issue going on in the world and one that I believe we should have a preparedness plan for. There are differences in the respirator masks on the market and knowing the difference between them can help keep you and your family safer.
    When the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) specified there be requirements for different respirator filters, they created three divisions for the filters with differing specifications: N series, R series and P series. Using masks with air-purifying respirators protects by filtering particles out of the air the user is breathing. There are seven classes of filters for NIOSH-approved filtering facepiece respirators available at this time.

• N95 – Filters at least 95% of airborne particles. Not resistant to oil.
    • Surgical N95 – A NIOSH-approved N95 respirator that has also been cleared by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a surgical mask.
    • N99 – Filters at least 99% of airborne particles. Not resistant to oil.
    • N100 – Filters at least 99.97% of airborne particles. Not resistant to oil.
    • R95 – Filters at least 95% of airborne particles. Somewhat resistant to oil.
    • P95 – Filters at least 95% of airborne particles. Strongly resistant to oil.
    • P99 – Filters at least 99% of airborne particles. Strongly resistant to oil.
    • P100 – Filters at least 99.97% of airborne particles. Strongly resistant to oil.
    The difference between the N-series, R-series and P-series of masks has to do with whether or not the mask will be worn in an environment where oils and their vapors can be inhaled. In short, N-series filters are not resistant to oil, R-series filters are resistant to oil, and P-series filters are oil proof.

The respirator filter ratings (95, 99, 100) refer to the percentage efficiency at removing particulates from breathing air. 95, 99 and 100 series filters are 95%, 99% and 100% efficient, respectively.

N95 respirators made by different companies were found to have different filtration efficiencies for the most penetrating particle size (0.1 to 0.3 micron), but all were at least 95% efficient at that size. Above the most penetrating particle size the filtration efficiency increases with size; it reaches approximately 99.5% or higher at about 0.75 micron. Tests with bacteria of size and shape similar to Mycobacterium tuberculosis also showed filtration efficiencies of 99.5% or higher.

In the case of preparing for Ebola, keep in mind that the Ebola virus strands can be as small as .02 microns in diameter, which are smaller than 3 microns. That said, the virus can permeate the filtered masks by a carrier such as (water molecules, bodily fluids, etc.). The best bet in assuring your family’s safety against Ebola is with N100 or P100 mask. Further, investing in other pandemic supplies would also be worthwhile.

• Have a one month supply of emergency foods that require no refrigeration.
    • Store 1 gallon of water per person per day, in clean plastic containers. Avoid using containers that will decompose or break, such as milk cartons or glass bottles.
    • Tyvek protective suit and shoe covers
    • Protective eye wear
    • plastic sheeting
      ir
    • Supply of nonprescription drugs
    • Pain relievers
    • Cold medicines
    • Decongestants
    • Stomach remedies
    • Duct tape
    • Anti-diarrheal medication
    • Essential oils
    • Vitamins that have immune boosting enhancers (such as elderberry,
    • Fluids with electrolytes (such as sports drinks)
    • Bleach or disinfectant
    • Tissues
    • Garbage bags to collect soiled clothing and bedding before they are washed.
    • A thermometer
    • Latex gloves
    • Impermeable shoe covers
    • Disposable cleaning gloves (in quantity)
    • Soap
    • Hand wipes
    • Alcohol-based hand sanitizers or homemade hand sanitizer supplies
    • An extra supply of your regular prescription drugs and medical supplies.
    • N100 respirator masks(in quantity)
    As with most disasters, a pandemic will require a solid, well-thought plan for surviving as well as require long term social distancing measures that will further require you to be prepared for a long term disaster of 1-2 months or longer. Therefore, keep your needs in mind and prepare accordingly. I hope this helps, and best of luck on your pandemic preparedness kits.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    In the case of preparing for Ebola, keep in mind that the Ebola virus strands can be as small as .02 microns in diameter....

Do you have a source for that?
    Everything that I'm finding puts the ebola strand at around .10 micron in diameter and about .97 microns long

Has anyone prepped an area of their home specifically for dealing with sick family members?

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Was discussing this in another forum. I posted this link there as I thought it had some good high points.

Ask Tess: What is the difference between N95 and N100 respirator masks? | Ready Nutrition

Ebola is a very concerning health issue going on in the world and one that I believe we should have a preparedness plan for. There are differences in the respirator masks on the market and knowing the difference between them can help keep you and your family safer.
    When the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) specified there be requirements for different respirator filters, they created three divisions for the filters with differing specifications: N series, R series and P series. Using masks with air-purifying respirators protects by filtering particles out of the air the user is breathing. There are seven classes of filters for NIOSH-approved filtering facepiece respirators available at this time.

• N95 – Filters at least 95% of airborne particles. Not resistant to oil.
    • Surgical N95 – A NIOSH-approved N95 respirator that has also been cleared by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a surgical mask.
    • N99 – Filters at least 99% of airborne particles. Not resistant to oil.
    • N100 – Filters at least 99.97% of airborne particles. Not resistant to oil.
    • R95 – Filters at least 95% of airborne particles. Somewhat resistant to oil.
    • P95 – Filters at least 95% of airborne particles. Strongly resistant to oil.
    • P99 – Filters at least 99% of airborne particles. Strongly resistant to oil.
    • P100 – Filters at least 99.97% of airborne particles. Strongly resistant to oil.
    The difference between the N-series, R-series and P-series of masks has to do with whether or not the mask will be worn in an environment where oils and their vapors can be inhaled. In short, N-series filters are not resistant to oil, R-series filters are resistant to oil, and P-series filters are oil proof.

The respirator filter ratings (95, 99, 100) refer to the percentage efficiency at removing particulates from breathing air. 95, 99 and 100 series filters are 95%, 99% and 100% efficient, respectively.

N95 respirators made by different companies were found to have different filtration efficiencies for the most penetrating particle size (0.1 to 0.3 micron), but all were at least 95% efficient at that size. Above the most penetrating particle size the filtration efficiency increases with size; it reaches approximately 99.5% or higher at about 0.75 micron. Tests with bacteria of size and shape similar to Mycobacterium tuberculosis also showed filtration efficiencies of 99.5% or higher.

In the case of preparing for Ebola, keep in mind that the Ebola virus strands can be as small as .02 microns in diameter, which are smaller than 3 microns. That said, the virus can permeate the filtered masks by a carrier such as (water molecules, bodily fluids, etc.). The best bet in assuring your family’s safety against Ebola is with N100 or P100 mask. Further, investing in other pandemic supplies would also be worthwhile.

As with most disasters, a pandemic will require a solid, well-thought plan for surviving as well as require long term social distancing measures that will further require you to be prepared for a long term disaster of 1-2 months or longer. Therefore, keep your needs in mind and prepare accordingly. I hope this helps, and best of luck on your pandemic preparedness kits.

While that is a neat list and some nifty info , all the supplies in the world won't amount to JACK SQUAT without proper training .

BEFORE anyone goes out and buys all that stuff , I'd say their money would be better spent if they would go to their nearest Army/Navy surplus and buy a copy of a CTT book , soldiers common task training .

Specifically , LEARN the section about MOPP gear and NBC decontamination , then you'll have an idea what all is involved in treating this stuff .

Keep in mind folks , even " professionals " get it wrong and with this stuff one screw up could be the last for you and everybody around you .

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another think to keep in mind... alcohol based hand sanitizer and wipes are useless against both ebola and that nasty enterovirus 68 thats going around. Soap and water or bleach are the only things that kill those buggers.

Scary thought since as doctors and nurses go room to room in hospitals those foams are typically the only way they clean their hands right now.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    Another think to keep in mind... alcohol based hand sanitizer and wipes are useless against both ebola and that nasty enterovirus 68 thats going around. Soap and water or bleach are the only things that kill those buggers.

Scary thought since as doctors and nurses go room to room in hospitals those foams are typically the only way they clean their hands right now.

It does seem strange that the CDC recommends "hand sanitizers" when the FDA says only use hand sanitizers that are specifically labelled for bacteria and virus.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    While that is a neat list and some nifty info , all the supplies in the world won't amount to JACK SQUAT without proper training .

BEFORE anyone goes out and buys all that stuff , I'd say their money would be better spent if they would go to their nearest Army/Navy surplus and buy a copy of a CTT book , soldiers common task training .

Specifically , LEARN the section about MOPP gear and NBC decontamination , then you'll have an idea what all is involved in treating this stuff .

Keep in mind folks , even " professionals " get it wrong and with this stuff one screw up could be the last for you and everybody around you .

Here's the MOPP gear info online for free if anyone is interested.

031-503-1040 - Protect Yourself From NBC Injury/Contamination With Joint Service Lightweight Integrated Suit Technology (JSLI...

And here's the info for removing contaminated gear and putting on new gear.

031-503-1042 - Protect Yourself From NBC Injury/Contamination When Changing Mission Oriented Protective Posture Using Joint S...

There's a lot involved. The suits are pretty expensive. (I'm screwed Lol)

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Talked about this with my wife last night. I'm the more paranoid of the two of us, so after the initial "you're just being paranoid" we decided to just stock up on more of the longer-lasting pantry-type stuff. As much for the predicted harsh winter as ebola.

In the vernacular, moderate more preparation for a bug-in event (either voluntary or mother-nature-related). Not getting into ppe. That's when my more cynical side kicks in. The focus will be on avoiding getting infected. If one of us gets infected, we're pretty much screwed no matter what.

docapos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    mooresville area
    Anyone buying respirators ie. n-95, n-100 also need to realize that they need to be professionally "fit tested", meaning a person goes through a process of putting on an isolation hood when a flavored mist is pumped in to ensure against leaks. Even after fit testing some peoples face will not allow for proper fit and need other(air pack) respirators.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Most people dont freak out when the common flu kills WAY more people each year than Ebola ever killed.Ebola has yet to kill anyone in the US and few (few compared to the yearly deaths caused by the flu in the US) people in Africa. :dunno:

The annual human flu in the U.S. "results in approximately 36,000 deaths and more than 200,000 hospitalizations each year.

Im also WAY more worried by cigarettes than I am by Ebola.
    • More than 480,000 deaths annually (including deaths from secondhand smoke)

I dont have any prep against Ebola.I do whoever try not to sit next to a smoker. :dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Bleach. A lot of bleach. Disinfectant wipes and such
    Also stepped up on shelf items. Not so concerned with shelf life. Will rotate out effectively. If transmitted buy touch masks are not an issue. At least now.

Top Bottom