• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cheeseburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Since getting my LTCH I've had to call the police a time or two both from home and from my car. Once they pull up the address or have time to check my name in their computer the next question always seems to be "are you armed?"

Have others found this to be true?

I figure there is a record of my LTCH in the computer that the officer on the phone checks as a matter of taking my call.

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    I guess it depends on why your calling or it might be an agency thing ... I've never been asked

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    with your name is in the CAD etc. dispatch lets the responding officer now you have a LTCH on file...... he ask for his protection and situation awarness.......same thing happens if you get pulled over for a traffic stop ......basicly if they run your name they are informed of your LTCH ..........:twocents:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I have heard that that information is now forwarded to officers on patrol.
    But as I am not LEO, nor did I stay at Holiday Inn Express last night, I cannot say for sure.

Someone with more intel will be along soon to help you sort it out.

:welcome: to INGO

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Maybe it's your screen name "cheeseburger" raises a red flag!! Change it to donut, see what happens!!!.............

Yeah! I went there!

JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    I wouldnt cal the police until the threat was "taken care of". IMO Police are a clean up crew to take pictures of and haul your dead body away after the BG has killed you and your family and stolen all your stuff...

InyDan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2011
    I was pulled over few speeding a few weeks ago, and the trooper asked my three times if I was armed.
    "Any weapons on you?"
    "No."
    "Any weapons in the vehicle?"
    "No."
    "So no weapons?"
    "Uh, no."

I was driving home from the airport, so I really didn't have any firearms, but he sure seemed doubtful when I said "no".

Let me off with a warning.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I wouldnt cal the police until the threat was "taken care of". IMO Police are a clean up crew to take pictures of and haul your dead body away after the BG has killed you and your family and stolen all your stuff...

First. If the cops can get there in time and take care of the problem, they might save you a LOT of heartache and money. Even in self-defence, you might have to prove it.

Second. If you call the cops 1st, and things go south, that will look better for your defense.

Third. Don't put claims like that out where anyone can see it. If YOU are now involved in a self-defense shooting, a lawyer could use that statement to sway a jury. Not saying it would work, but why give a lawyer more ammo to use at a trial?

If you think things like that don't happen, there are a few books out there to help. Grossman, and Ayoob are two right off the top of my head.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I do agree the police usually get there too late. But if you can avoid the hassle.

A weightlifter decided to come by and threaten harm at my Cave. He stayed out long enough for PD to show up. Was a lot easier than if they showed up after a shooting though.

Fishe39392

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Fort Wayne/Allen County made LTCH info available to LEOs since even before it went statewide a few months ago.
    They can determine you have an LTCH by running your name/info.
    I've been stopped twice in the last few months by 2 different agencies for being a "suspicious person" (once by IPFW Campus Police, and once by New Haven Police), and both times my LTCH info came back and they asked if I was armed.
    Ironically, both times were some of the very few times I wasn't carrying.

Lessons learned: apparently I'm suspicious by walking along minding my own business.

magiaaron

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    I have not been asked that question, but it seems like a reasonable thing to ask. I realize most criminals aren't going to respond in an affirmative, but for the honest citizens making the call, it does let the responding officer know that there is a potential good guy in the area that is armed. It might make him a little less quick to respond to the sight of an armed person.

As for protecting them, any information an officer can have about the situation they are going into is a good thing.

-Aaron

Top Bottom