• ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    And what if he just kept coming until he grabbed your gun (or tried to)? You already said that he did something you weren't expecting. How would you have reacted? Have you practiced it? That's where training comes in. "i didnt know what to do" is what you said and that should raise giant alarm bells in your head.

I'm not trying to second-guess what you did; I wasn't there. But you did ask for suggestions.

ETA: I'm also not necessarily referring to gun handling skills. Check out the force-on-force classes available in our Tactics and Training section. I also recommend (to everyone) that you take martial arts classes. Actual martial arts, not "pretend to kick me for five minutes and I'll give you a pretty-colored belt".

Great advice, a real self defense class. In JR high I took a self defense/kick boxing class. it made my school days easier. And has helped me in real life too.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Scutter, I take pride on my situational awareness. I had noticed the guy approaching but i thought he was just going to get in line behind me like the other people had, what i did not expect was for him to just keep moving foreward and come to stand RIGHT next to me. If the lady at the counter had acted differently or seemed scared i would have responded differently, but the the way she asked "does he have a gun?" she didnt seem scared only curious. once the guy was next to me i wasnt sure what to do. if he had persisted in talking crap about my gun i would have politely said that i am well withen my rights to carry, or if he had reached for i would have pushed him away. what would you suggest i do as far as training for this kind of situation?
    Distance is your friend, my friend. Distance.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Great advice, a real self defense class. In JR high I took a self defense/kick boxing class. it made my school days easier. And has helped me in real life too.

Even a simple self-defense class for an hour every Saturday will help. You don't have to go full MMA or anything. Plus, it's a great way to stay in shape. After years of Okinawan karate, it makes me cringe when I hear people say "I'm going to Chicago but I don't want to be away from my gun! What do I do?!?!" :n00b:

Your gun is only one small part and it's not (nor should it be) the cornerstone of your personal defense.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Even a simple self-defense class for an hour every Saturday will help. You don't have to go full MMA or anything. Plus, it's a great way to stay in shape. After years of Okinawan karate, it makes me cringe when I hear people say "I'm going to Chicago but I don't want to be away from my gun! What do I do?!?!" :n00b:

Your gun is only one small part and it's not (nor should it be) the cornerstone of your personal defense.

Hat is not the only clothes you wear when you go out. A gun is just a hat. You have other clothes to wear, and a hat is just extra protection. I am trained and able to defend myself person on person. But if i need a little extra, thats where the will gun come in.

ryang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    I highly recommend that you get yourself to some tactical training, especially if you plan to continue to open carry. It sounds like your situational awareness was severely lacking. It also sounded like you had absolutely no idea what to do about someone who was suddenly on top of your carry-side. Those two things are eventually going to add up to a Bad Day.

You're about to be hit with a LOT of comments, and you're not going to like some of them. Better brace yourself. :):

Probably the best responce you are going to get

+1

Roichlem

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    Columbus
    Thank you everyone for the advice, it was what i was looking for.

Scutter, i think im going to look into these force-on-force classes. I know i can shoot well but like you said there were alarm bells going off in my head that i did not know what to do if he would have tried to take my gun. im very confident in my actually shooting but i didnt want to actually hurt the guy, he was just causing a scene and it made me nervous.

then again, i think i might just judy chop 'em.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    OP, you may not have asked for this type of advice but I am right handed and carry cross draw on my left hip 99% of the time. Among other reasons such as ease of draw when in a vehicle with a seat belt on and sometimes a painful right shoulder that makes a high ride holster to try to draw from and clear difficult is the retention angle. I think about retention a lot, especially in any kind of line with people behind me. I carry in a Serpa and feel that it would be hard for someone behind me to grab and pull it out. I also would have a better chance to pin someone's arm to my side and use my right fist against them. I think I would have a hard time countering a grab from my right rear if I carried strong side. Anyway you might consider this type of carry. Good luck and great to have another licensee in our free state.

Top Bottom