• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    You care about your personal safety so you carry a gun…you shoot at the range...you read books and watch videos. That’s a great start. But honestly answer: What have you done to really prepare to have to fight for your life?

1) Fights happen close and fast: The security driving instructor Tony Scotti is fond of saying, “Why do we talk about miles per hour when car accidents happen in feet and last seconds?” It’s a good point and it drives (har har) home the fact that personal defense at interpersonal distance will most likely be measured in inches and milliseconds. Bad guys typically don’t rob, rape or attack you from a block away. They will be very close and if all your shooting practice is done with your arms fully extended, you might face a steep learning curve if your gunfight happens at contact distance. (TRAIN CLOSE QUARTERS SHOOTING)

2) Gun fights are fights: There is no shortage of clichés in gun culture. The “my pistol is to fight my way back to my rifle” one is near the top of the list. OK, setting aside the question of how accurately this applies to most gun owners who probably don’t have a rifle nearby, what if you need skills to be able to fight your way back to your pistol? Because even if that pistol is located on your belt it might be tough for you to access it while fighting for your life. When I read peoples’ posts about how they are ‘just going to get their gun out and…’ it makes me cringe. Do you know how difficult it is to draw a pistol when someone is trying to prevent you from doing it? (TRAIN EMPTY-HAND COMBATIVES)

3) In fights, people get hurt: You are defending yourself because someone is trying to harm you. Even if you win the fight don’t you think there’s a chance you may sustain some seriously injury? And in the event you are shot, stabbed or hit with a bat, how confident are you in your trauma medical skills? Could you save your own life or the life of a loved one while waiting for help to arrive? (TRAIN TRAUMA MEDICAL SKILLS)

4) Own the dark: You probably won’t get to choose the time or place of your fight and it could very well happen while the sun is on the other side of the planet. Low light and no-light defense situations are a reality that requires special tactics, skills and gear. Flashlights, when used properly, greatly increase your ability to fight in low light while simultaneously diminishing your attacker’s ability to fight. Having a light means you can also actually identify your target in the dark which happens to be one of the 4 firearm safety rules. (TRAIN LOW LIGHT)

5) Test what you think you know: Force on Force skill-based and scenario-based training provide you an opportunity to test what you think you can do. Talking about how you will perform is no substitute for setting aside your ego and actually performing under stress. After all, if you can't do it under stress, you can't do it. You will learn more about yourself and your self-defense capabilities in one day of scenario-based training than shooting another 1,000 rounds on the shooting range. (TRAIN FORCE ON FORCE)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you have never had to defend yourself these are all alien concepts. Folks think they know what to do or how things will happen but it never comes down with a plan or an order of events. This will be discussed and dissected as this thread develops. Awareness, attention to details etc. etc...................:popcorn:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Completely agree. I always advocate to students that carrying a firearm does not make one exempt from a need for hand to hand skills. All facets of training are supplimentary of each other. You should never just focus on one or the other. Your survival relies largely on your situational awareness and your preparedness to react.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    for those who have never been in an actual fight (doubt many here) of any kind, go play paintball a couple times. being shot at by .68 caliber marbles made out of paint and gelatin moving at 200mph can definately get your adrenaline going and can really mess with your ability to think the first couple of times you play. the game feels like it is going a million miles an hour. after a few times and you have become accustomed to the "stress" of being shot at by thinks that sting a little bit, everything will slow down, and you will actually be able to think, communicate, clear malfunctions, return fire and reload without hesitation. this is no substitute for training like shay would put on, but its something that can definately make you think. if paintfilled gelatin balls moving at 300fps can mess with your head that much, how would you react if someone was shooting 1200 fps balls of lead that were a lot louder?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We used to paintball a lot. You are right. A built up (Dual tank Master) full auto paint ball gun will knock the snot out of you. Get caught in a cross fire. No substitute for a real fire fight but it will give you a basic idea.

TheAutomator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    For the price of a legit paintball gun, paint, and gear, you can take a couple force on force classes and train with something similar to what you carry in an environment that is much more like a real fight.

2 and 3 are by far the biggest gaps I see in my training, and I hope to do something about each soon.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    for those who have never been in an actual fight (doubt many here) of any kind, go play paintball a couple times. being shot at by .68 caliber marbles made out of paint and gelatin moving at 200mph can definately get your adrenaline going and can really mess with your ability to think the first couple of times you play. the game feels like it is going a million miles an hour. after a few times and you have become accustomed to the "stress" of being shot at by thinks that sting a little bit, everything will slow down, and you will actually be able to think, communicate, clear malfunctions, return fire and reload without hesitation. this is no substitute for training like shay would put on, but its something that can definately make you think. if paintfilled gelatin balls moving at 300fps can mess with your head that much, how would you react if someone was shooting 1200 fps balls of lead that were a lot louder?

well, you're a LOT more conscious of your surroundings :D and the physiological effects are of no comparison really

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    i figured that kid, i was just saying that even with a non threatening firefight such as that, most people still freeze up their first time out. im also not saying to go buy a full setup on gear, go play walk on and use rentals. i never said it was a substitute for real FOF training, just said it was a good way to see how you react under stress/adrenaline in a safe environment.

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    i figured that kid, i was just saying that even with a non threatening firefight such as that, most people still freeze up their first time out. im also not saying to go buy a full setup on gear, go play walk on and use rentals. i never said it was a substitute for rear FOF training, just said it was a good way to see how you react under stress/adrenaline in a safe environment.
    I understand and there is a descent level realism to it because of the sting, but it really doesn't spark the same changes in your body that a real threat does was my point......the only training I've done that really starts those changes is live fire team training, such as live shoot houses, buddy team rushes, etc......when your team mates rounds whiz by you within a couple feet and the percussion of the round flutters your clothes and "rattles" your chest, your body perceives it as a threat and it begins those changes.....even then it is still a very slight change because you know your team mates aren't firing directly at you, but it still induces them......whereas airsoft, simunition, paintball, etc. induce adrenaline and heart rate from excitement and thus better preparing you physically, it's still quite different in my experience......but it's the best that's available right now without risking your own health/life anyway.....the only reason I never got into paintball myself was because they are too "toy like"....if the weapons were realistic such as simunition it be of considerably more training value IMO

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For the price of a legit paintball gun, paint, and gear, you can take a couple force on force classes and train with something similar to what you carry in an environment that is much more like a real fight.

2 and 3 are by far the biggest gaps I see in my training, and I hope to do something about each soon.

Yes, that is a good area for most to train in. I have trained in martial arts as a young man but it has been a good while. The training still rises to the surface in the face of danger. Believe it, once trained it is with you always if you trained seriously.
    No one truly wins a real fight. You will receive some damage in an altercation.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Well, Shay and I are natural antagonist's, but I couldn't agree more with his post. Do I like teaching and training with rifles? I sure do, but lets be honest, the skills and training Shay points out are the most likely to be needed in a "normal" reactive fight. Can we go beyond what is listed there? Sure we can, but lets not fool ourselves on what the truths really are.

Especially like some of the explanation on #2.

MangoTango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Paintball is good at showing you the mental fatigue of being in a fight and some of the stressors of constantly being pursued but in paintball you are expecting trouble and have your gun at the ready. A lot different then walking to your car after dinner with your family, being jumped and having to draw from concealment. Agree 100% with SHAY's OP.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Agree with you here! Got my butt lit up - hurt too!:D

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Keep in mind that paintball doesn't address a lot of areas important to personal defense.

People who have trained in scenarios with me know what I mean when I talk about decision making under stress. Your actions before, during and after the fight all have consequences and you can't just train for the 'during the fight' phase and think that you are prepared.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I've never been in a fire fight. Nor a hand to hand fight since High School many years ago (although there have been a few times that things could have escalated had i lost my temper). So I'm not going to pretend that I know anything about it. But it does seem to me that best protection is:
    1) constantly being aware of your surroundings and who is around you, that is, are they acting suspicious or do you just get that warning vibe from them?
    and
    2) stay out of areas or situations where danger might exist to begin with. Like bars with a bad rep or areas in town that are shady. Dark alleys at night might be another example.
    In short, use common sense to NOT be where the potential for danger is highest and if you must be then stay on full red alert!
    I have been in situations, as I'm sure we all have, where I have had my hand near or resting on my gun just in case.
    This is just my opinion on this and I certainly agree that hand-to-hand is a valuable and necessary skill. And I certainly understand that things happen beyond our control. But not all of us are young or in shape enough to take on even an average opponent.
    I'm just saying that the best way to win a fight is to use common sense to avoid getting in one in the first place.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I've never been in a fire fight. Nor a hand to hand fight since High School many years ago (although there have been a few times that things could have escalated had i lost my temper). So I'm not going to pretend that I know anything about it. But it does seem to me that best protection is:
    1) constantly being aware of your surroundings and who is around you, that is, are they acting suspicious or do you just get that warning vibe from them?
    and
    2) stay out of areas or situations where danger might exist to begin with. Like bars with a bad rep or areas in town that are shady. Dark alleys at night might be another example.
    In short, use common sense to NOT be where the potential for danger is highest and if you must be then stay on full red alert!
    I have been in situations, as I'm sure we all have, where I have had my hand near or resting on my gun just in case.
    This is just my opinion on this and I certainly agree that hand-to-hand is a valuable and necessary skill. And I certainly understand that things happen beyond our control. But not all of us are young or in shape enough to take on even an average opponent.
    I'm just saying that the best way to win a fight is to use common sense to avoid getting in one in the first place.

Avoidance, deterrence and deescalation are all very important. But if they fail, you need to be ready and able to fight. You won't get to pick the time or place.

Plisken

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Under the radar
    and
    Amen brother situational awareness. Avoid bad places and seedy areas, You win the fight by not being there.

Top Bottom