• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    This is a very good article that I found in the digital copy of American HandGunner. Link to article: Are Your Words Killing Your Gun Rights? | American Handgunner

Here is a short summary of the key words (in red) we should be using. But I urge you to read the article as the author does a +1000 on really talking about the key words.

Don't say you are Pro-Gun even if someone ask you. Instead say you are PRO-RIGHTS. (ie. In favor of all the Bill of Rights). If you are pro-rights then what does that make someone who is anti-guns? ANTI-RIGHTs! Hum.. now that does not sound very good hu? :D

"Assault weapons" we all know there is no such thing as "assault" is a human behavior (ie. I can assault Dross and Clif45, but an object can NOT assault anyone). So if someone ask you if you own any "assault weapons" you should do 1 of 2 things:

Ask them "when you say assault weapons what do you mean"? This will cause most anti-guns to look at you with a blank stare. After all what is an "assault weapon"? :dunno:

Or you can answer with "I own household firearms, the kind you find in the avg. American household." After all is not your WASR-10, your AR-15, your SKS available in just about every gun shop and thus in just about every gun owner's hand in America?

If the anti-gunner tells you s/he does not own a gun then tell them "Well that is dangerous" and let them "think" on that for a while. :D

Also if someone should ask you if you favor gun-control you should answer that you favor crime-control. You see gun-control is nothing more than the "legal" attempt to ban guns. In crime control it's implied that guns must be used to stop the criminals. How? Well we allow LEOs to use guns to stop the criminal so since LEOs = good, then how can gun = bad if it's in the LEO's toolbox?

Also you do NOT own a handgun, you own a SIDEARM. Handguns the media has made the public to believe they are black, evil guns. A sidearm however the public still has the nostalgic image of the revolvers of the western sheriff, the 1911s of WW II, etc.

Lastly if someone sees you with your gun and they are looking at you nervous. You should approach them and tell them. "I see you are nervous about my sidearm. You hate guns don't you." When they reply, put your hand on their shoulder and tell them "It's not good to hate." :laugh:

---
    Have a good night all!

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I own Weapons, they are dangerous deadly items that are meant to harm other living things for food and protection. I practice with them regularly enough to be proficient with them.

The most dangerous words to our rights are:

APATHY and IGNORANCE

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    :yesway:[[/QUOTE]QUOTE]The most dangerous words to our rights are:

APATHY and IGNORANCE
    I tried to rep you for this, but it said I had to spread it around first.

Solidgun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    In certain situations, the words may make all the difference, but if someone is stubborn and unwilling to see reason, they will hear self-defense as terrorism.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I own Weapons, they are dangerous deadly items that are meant to harm other living things for food and protection. I practice with them regularly enough to be proficient with them.

APATHY and IGNORANCE

I was taught growing up Firearms are just the Tools that make oneself a Weapon... :popcorn:

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Lastly if someone sees you with your gun and they are looking at you nervous. You should approach them and tell them. "I see you are nervous about my sidearm. You hate guns don't you." When they reply, put your hand on their shoulder and tell them "It's not good to hate." :laugh:

---
    Have a good night all!

this was the best part right here.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I was taught growing up Firearms are just the Tools that make oneself a Weapon... :popcorn:

IMO those are separate ideas. When we are talking about a warrior mentality, tactics, survival then I absolutely agree with you. I would consider myself armed even without a gun or knife.

But when we are talking terminology or specifics then I think it is appropriate to call a gun a weapon if that is the intended purpose. I wouldn't consider a paper punching plinker a weapon.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    IMO those are separate ideas. When we are talking about a warrior mentality, tactics, survival then I absolutely agree with you. I would consider myself armed even without a gun or knife.

But when we are talking terminology or specifics then I think it is appropriate to call a gun a weapon if that is the intended purpose. I wouldn't consider a paper punching plinker a weapon.

True.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

APATHY and IGNORANCE

Everyone in the world owns "weapons." Everyone "owns" feet, hands, elbows, knees, etc. Most people in the more developed societies own far more sophisticated weapons: frying pans, kitchen knives, hatchets, cars.

Anything can be a weapon. And anything which is used as a weapon can be used as either a defensive weapon or an offensive weapon.

Any time you say "I own a weapon," the Kool Aid Drinkers (KAD) hear, in their delusional minds "I own something which I want to use against humans."

I like to remind people that a few years ago, a woman was killed by being beaten by two teens. One was armed with a potato in a sock, and the other was armed with a banjo.

Never eat mashed potatoes while listening to bluegrass music. You are immersing yourself in weaponry.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

But, do you buy a firearm with the intention of using it to shoot someone? If so, then I guess you are buying a weapon. I personally have bought all of my firearms to either target shoot, or to defend myself and my family.

If I am forced to, I will use my plinking firearms to defend myself or my family. I would also grab a banjo if I had to.

If I was shopping for a [firearm|banjo], my criteria would be along the lines of: "do I like it, will it to what it was designed to do without a lot of hassle and maintenance, is it a good value?" I would not pick a [firearm|banjo] on the basis of "how effective is this at killing someone?"

Both have been used in crimes, as has nearly item ever picked up by a human.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Everyone in the world owns "weapons." Everyone "owns" feet, hands, elbows, knees, etc. Most people in the more developed societies own far more sophisticated weapons: frying pans, kitchen knives, hatchets, cars.

Um, ok. I don't really disagree with you there, see my discussion with Jeremy.

Anything can be a weapon. And anything which is used as a weapon can be used as either a defensive weapon or an offensive weapon.

Again, correct.

Any time you say "I own a weapon," the Kool Aid Drinkers (KAD) hear, in their delusional minds "I own something which I WILL use against humans if I have to."

FIFY. I don't care how anyone views what I say. That is just being PC.

I like to remind people that a few years ago, a woman was killed by being beaten by two teens. One was armed with a potato in a sock, and the other was armed with a banjo.

God, this reminds me of "That 70's Show"

Never eat mashed potatoes while listening to bluegrass music. You are immersing yourself in weaponry.

I immerse myself with weaponry at all times.

But, do you buy a firearm with the intention of using it to shoot someone? If so, then I guess you are buying a weapon. I personally have bought all of my firearms to either target shoot, or to defend myself and my family.

Congrats, you own weapons you plan on using against living things if necessary!

If I am forced to, I will use my plinking firearms to defend myself or my family. I would also grab a banjo if I had to.

Then they would be weapons-I don't see the issue here...:dunno:

If I was shopping for a [firearm|banjo], my criteria would be along the lines of: "do I like it, will it to what it was designed to do without a lot of hassle and maintenance, is it a good value?" I would not pick a [firearm|banjo] on the basis of "how effective is this at killing someone?"

Both have been used in crimes, as has nearly item ever picked up by a human.

Ok, I don't see how using something in a crime has anything to do with its purpose as a weapon. A weapon has no character. A weapon has no morality beyond that of whoever wields it.

Here is an example: I have an AK. It is not actually an AK47 because it is not full auto nor is it the exact model besides that. It is closer to an AKM. I call it an AK47 because people recognize what it is based on that. On the same lines, is it an "assault weapon"? Well the laws of several states consider it one so the .gov says it is. I personally don't have a problem with it being called an assault weapon so sure, I own assault weapons. The main reason I own them is to protect my family and as such I use them as weapons.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Thanks for the heads up on that article. Words do matter. Control the terms and you exert some control over the debate. I refuse to use the language of the antis.

"High capacity magazines," is another term I refuse to use. They're just "standard" or "factory" capacity mags as far as I'm concerned and that's what I call them.

A couple of others: "Saturday night special" & "Cop killer bullets."

Choose your words carefully. Here's the list referenced at the end of the article:

http://www.gunlaws.com/politicallycorrect.htm

Last edited:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Excuse me while I load my Saturday night special Assault rifle with armor piercing cop killers. Man, it sure does take awhile to load these high cap mags for all of my weapons and pistols!

Now how many school children did I just kill? How many of our rights were just taken away?

Actions speak louder than words ever will.

cbop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Winamac
    "Assault weapons" we all know there is no such thing as "assault" is a human behavior (ie. I can assault Dross and Clif45, but an object can NOT assault anyone). So if someone ask you if you own any "assault weapons" you should do 1 of 2 things:

Ask them "when you say assault weapons what do you mean"? This will cause most anti-guns to look at you with a blank stare. After all what is an "assault weapon"? :dunno:

Or you can answer with "I own household firearms, the kind you find in the avg. American household." After all is not your WASR-10, your AR-15, your SKS available in just about every gun shop and thus in just about every gun owner's hand in America?

I prefer the response, "No, I have a defense rifle" or "defense weapon". Lets take the 'assault' aspect away from them. If we can do that, they will sound ridiculous talking about 'a defense weapon ban'

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Here is a short summary of the key words (in red) we should be using. But I urge you to read the article as the author does a +1000 on really talking about the key words.

Don't say you are Pro-Gun even if someone ask you. Instead say you are PRO-RIGHTS. (ie. In favor of all the Bill of Rights). If you are pro-rights then what does that make someone who is anti-guns? ANTI-RIGHTs! Hum.. now that does not sound very good hu? :D

This is the same thing as calling the disabled "differently abled," the short "vertical challenged," sluts "sexually charitable," etc. Why do we play games with words and pretend that changes anything? "Yeah, I'm pro-rights: the right to ban guns!" Let's not mince words.

The same criticism applies to other terms.

By the way, I think "pro-gun" is a stupid term. I am not "for guns." These are just metal tools. How can I be for or against them? Imagine a "pro ball peen hammer" lobby or a "pro flathead screwdriver" forum.

Da Bing

Top Bottom