• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Was that one originally a milsurp that was re-barreled, or is it a true Mauser sporting rifle? I like the set trigger!
    It was a G33/40. They were mountain guns that had lightning cuts. They were very popular guns to turn into light sporting rifles. This one was made by my Grandfather. He was a tool and die maker that could produce beautiful rifles. He even carved and checkered the stock.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It was a G33/40. They were mountain guns that had lightning cuts. They were very popular guns to turn into light sporting rifles. This one was made by my Grandfather. He was a tool and die maker that could produce beautiful rifles. He even carved and checkered the stock.

Oh wow... that's awesome! :yesway:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Oh baloney... I was talking about this rifle and said that if I could mount a scope without screwing up the crest I wouldn't mind! :):

S&K among others makes a scout scope mount for your rifle. No drilling/tapping - uses the mount points for the rear sight and a long eye relief scope.

S & K Scope Mounts Home Page - rifle scope, scope mounts, Insta-Mount, SKulptured Mounts

Being stocked all the way to the muzzle, your rifle may have started life as a modelo 1909 cavalry carbine. Barrel length would be about 21.75 inches if so

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    S&K among others makes a scout scope mount for your rifle. No drilling/tapping - uses the mount points for the rear sight and a long eye relief scope.

S & K Scope Mounts Home Page - rifle scope, scope mounts, Insta-Mount, SKulptured Mounts

Being stocked all the way to the muzzle, your rifle may have started life as a modelo 1909 cavalry carbine. Barrel length would be about 21.75 inches if so

Yep, I'm familiar with the S&K mounts. I've got them on a Yugo M48A and a Mosin M38. They work great, but it would be nice to have a longer range scope. But for now I'm just gonna use the irons.

This is longer than the cavalry carbine. This isn't a milsurp stock though.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I just tried the trigger for the first time a few minutes ago. The Gunbroker ad said it was 2.75 lbs. and maybe it's my old milsurp trigger-conditioned finger, but it feels every bit that light or lighter. Feels like a hair trigger to me! :):

kmoffett71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2015
    Plainfield
    I want to learn more about riffles. Can you recommend a way to do it in a financially smart way? There are some riffles I can rent at the gun range I go to, but they are limited I want to learn about many. I don't have this issue with handguns.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I want to learn more about riffles. Can you recommend a way to do it in a financially smart way? There are some riffles I can rent at the gun range I go to, but they are limited I want to learn about many. I don't have this issue with handguns.

I can really only speak about military surplus rifles for the most part. Mosins are still reasonable as an entry into milsurp stuff. Turkish Mausers aren't much more. Enfields are a little more, but I still see them in the $275 - 300 range. But my best answer is, go through this subforum (Long Guns) and just read. I'm not sure what type you're interested in but there's plenty of good info right here on :ingo:.

kmoffett71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2015
    Plainfield
    I don't have a type DoggyDaddy. The only riffle I have shot was when I was 16, many many years ago, and it was just a .22 semi auto...nothing really. I would just like to check some out and shoot some to see what I am interested in, and what I like. I'd like to take my son too and let him see what he likes. I guess I need to find a trainer really

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't have a type DoggyDaddy. The only riffle I have shot was when I was 16, many many years ago, and it was just a .22 semi auto...nothing really. I would just like to check some out and shoot some to see what I am interested in, and what I like. I'd like to take my son too and let him see what he likes. I guess I need to find a trainer really
    Well, reading here will help with that too. You can see what other people are interested in and why, and maybe find something to at least steer you into a certain direction to start.

There's also this... https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n-ingo-shoot-september-13-@proteq-brazil.html

:)

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Model 1938. Mine was made in 1942.

Very nice, well like DD said the Swedish and Argentine Mausers are some of the nicest produced Mausers.. Their actions are clean the attention to detail is over the top.. Does yours have the Stock Disk???

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Very nice, well like DD said the Swedish and Argentine Mausers are some of the nicest produced Mausers.. Their actions are clean the attention to detail is over the top.. Does yours have the Stock Disk???

Yep. Out of all the old military rifles I once had, the Swede is the only one I have left. It's been a long time since I last shot it. When I was younger it really shocked me at just how well I shot it. Somehow all the metal still looks almost new. I guess that is why I never got rid of it.:)

Top Bottom