• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    My grandfather is thinking about buying a type 99 Arisaka w/ bayonette and scabbord from a church friend. The rifle does have the intact mum and was the man's brother's WWII bring back. I haven't seen the rifle yet but Grandpa describes the condition as rough. Rusty and it appears someone did a half-a## strip and refinish on the stock. Assuming that this is a run of the mill type 99 bring back, in about 60% condition. What would be a fair price? The guy didn't give Grandpa a cash price so he asked my to be his advocate on this deal, but my knowledge of Arisakas couldn't fill a .22LR casing. I'm going to swing by and take a look tomorrow and should have some pics to post then.

Atlas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Honestly, the bayonet is most likely worth more then a rusty and bubba'd stock Arisaka. my offer would be $100 tops for both. Unless it's some sort of extremely rare marking or the paratrooper model or something else very unusual.

-side note- I really wish people would STOP "improving" classic military arms by messing with them :/ -end side note-

newdumdum9825

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Seymour, IN
    my sling on my arisaka is worth more than the rifle itself

mine is a bring back with matching sn, cleaning rod, intact mum, original stock, and original leather sling

my rifle is worth 325 but the sling itself is worth 500

buyer be aware is all i can really say

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Yeah, Jason...you've got to be careful. The early type 99s are great solid Mauser clones. They were manufactured from 1939 to 1945. In 1943, the various arsenals began a simplification to the manufacturing processes that gradually resulted in the "Substitute Type 99" or "Last Ditch Rifle". For a shooter, you want to avoid the "Last Ditch Rifles". As the war went south for Japan and materials got scarce, the rifles got progressively worse. The timeline for the manufacturing short cuts varied with manufacturer.

I have a book "Japanese Rifles of World War II" by Duncan McCollum. It does a great job of elaborating on the time line of the changes by manufacturer. If you could post pictures from the left side of the receiver, I could possibly give you an idea of the date of manufacture.

I have an early series Nagoya Type 99 with Mum and AA sights intact. I found a dust cover, and repro monopod/cleaning rod to make it correct.

AType99-20102.jpg

JapType99AASight.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom