• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I am honestly very surprised it is still in 7.7, but at least you know now. I hope it turns out to be a great shooter. I really like shooting my Type 99, just wish it was possible to buy cheap factory ammo.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Here's to hoping! Part of me hopes it's chambered in the 7.7mm, but another part of me is hoping it's in something a bit more common. However it seems the most common rechamberings are in .308 or 30-06, neither of which do wonders for the accuracy with the 7.7mm barrel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have a sporterized t-99/ 7.7 rechambered in 308. Barrel and action are great but accuracy is horrible. This was my fathers deer gun from Pennsylvania.

The barrel "set back" is interesting. In the late 1950s and early 1960s, Arisakas were cheap, and $15.00 would buy a nice one with aircraft sights and monopod. For an extra $10.00, gunsmiths would cut off barrel threads and produce a rifle that would chamber the popular .300 savage case, but still needed the 7.7 diameter bullet for accuracy. I still have an altered one sitting around somewhere.

For folks that don't reload, they lose out on some of the awesomeness that is the .30-06 or .308 based rechambers, or folks just give up on these great rifles because "ammo costs to much". Lee can custom make (for only a few dollars plus shipping) a custom sized expander ball for your die set and allow you to wring out some awesome accuracy out of the rechambers using your standard dies.

I had a 7.7mm-06 Ari once and I could get some really decent grouping with .311" components after having my dies modded. I sold it to a friend who wanted it really badly who lived out west, along with the dies, and it still kills elk today (guy keeps sending me pictures of ones he killed with a focus on the rifle and the same smirk on his face he had when he first shot it...just to make the separation cruel enough...). He lets me hunt on his land every other year, so I can't complain. :D He hounds me for my Swede I hunt with out there, but too bad homie, you're not getting it!

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    I am honestly very surprised it is still in 7.7, but at least you know now. I hope it turns out to be a great shooter. I really like shooting my Type 99, just wish it was possible to buy cheap factory ammo.

I was a bit surprised after the point you made as well, but the gunsmith confirmed that it's within SAAMI spec for the 7.7x58. We'll see how it shoots (short range.. only 25yd indoor range) this weekend.

Have to pick up a box of horrifically marked up ammo in my way home today.

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Well... Good news and bad news. The rifle is all cleaned up after the stay at the gunsmith. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately when we went to function test, it would not chamber a 7.7mm round, by about as much as the barrel is set back. Not sure exactly how it happened, but the the casting was elongated enough to match the 7.7mm.

He was very apologetic about the mix-up, and is recasting, comping the work, a box of ammo on what it ends up being chambered in, as well as the next range trip.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well... Good news and bad news. The rifle is all cleaned up after the stay at the gunsmith. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately when we went to function test, it would not chamber a 7.7mm round, by about as much as the barrel is set back. Not sure exactly how it happened, but the the casting was elongated enough to match the 7.7mm.

He was very apologetic about the mix-up, and is recasting, comping the work, a box of ammo on what it ends up being chambered in, as well as the next range trip.

It'll be interesting to see what it ends up being. Since 30-06 is longer still than 7.7, it might be 308.

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    It'll be interesting to see what it ends up being. Since 30-06 is longer still than 7.7, it might be 308.
    I think that given it is rechambered, I'm hoping for .308 just for ammo availability. I'm not a reloader and don't have the facilities at the moment, so factory ammo is needed.

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Gunsmith finally confirmed (he's been quite busy) that the rifle is indeed 300 Savage. I picked up a box to shoot through this weekend. If I like it enough, it may stay; but I'm leaning towards trading towards something with a bit more common ammo.

It would be different if it were still in 7.7, or if it was a full rebarrel. Anywho, we'll see how it shoots, and go from there.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    300 Savage, Indy1919A4 called it. Let us know how it shoots. :yesway:

I agree with DD that 308 would have been a nice caliber for that rifle (as long as it's accurate). I have two Arisaka's both in 7.7. One is sporterized and one is all original.

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Well update... Shot a box, and traded towards a Mossberg MVP Patrol in .308. The Arisaka shot ok at 25 yards (indoor range), but given the very small price discrepancy between 300 Savage and 7.7mm; I couldn't really justify hanging onto it.

One friend floated the idea of rebarreling in a more popular caliber and building a fun range toy; but I'll leave that decision to the next caretaker.

Top Bottom