• ...and so much more!
  • singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I remember another incident several years ago in Florida, that league bought chest protectors and made it required equipment. Words can't express my feelings for the grief the family must feel. I can't image what that poor kid (pitcher) is feeling right now.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I heard a similar story a few years ago that happened here in Indiana. A player squared to the pitcher to bunt and was hit in the chest. They said he started to take his base and dropped right at home plate. Luckily he was brought back to life.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    What a tragedy.:(

I will certainly be making Xander wear a chest protector here in a year or two when the kids really start connecting with the ball.

Prayers sent to the family.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    What a freak accident. This is too painful to talk about. Prayers are all there is now.
    Protective gear should be made mandatory in all little league sports nationwide.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Blunt force trauma, from baseballs, fists, ejection from vehicles, can be life threatening . Also from falls. One has to be careful. Notice what I didn't mention.:(

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Don't forget face masks. Most leagues require them for batting helmets, but most don't for infielders. After seeing the pitcher for my daughters 8U team take a line drive just below the eye last week, I think it foolish not to wear one. At least for pitchers, and at 1st and 3rd.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Very sad.

When something like this happens, I think about making a sarcastic comment about how we need to make baseball illegal... parodying the anti-gun way of thinking. And then I come to my senses and realize I shouldn't take advantage of such an event.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    It's sad and I send my condolences.

After reading all these stories I'm wondering how these kids were taught to bunt. I sincerely hope they are physically squaring their bodies and moving their back foot around to bunt. If so they are simply asking to get hit.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Ummm isn't Bunting not allowed in that little league age group. When I was in Little League (a very long time ago), Bunting was not allowed till the senior leagues for 15-18 year olds. WTF was this boy doing trying to bunt?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    It's sad and I send my condolences.

After reading all these stories I'm wondering how these kids were taught to bunt. I sincerely hope they are physically squaring their bodies and moving their back foot around to bunt. If so they are simply asking to get hit.

You have to pivot and turn your shoulders or you won't have leverage to use the bat properly.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    First let me say that I feel bad for everyone involved. Now I dont have children, so maybe my view point is a little skewed, but this happens yearly. Now while I do not disagree with the use of protective gear, I have an issue with requiring it. All it does is coddle kids into growing up to be sissy professionals that make millions of dollars but cry when they bruise.

Part of the problem with the yearly deaths is the bats. Pony leagues (13+) around here are using composite bats. Bats similar to those used on the college level. Now I have played baseball/slow pitch softball every year for the last 20 years. I can barely react to a softball hit by a composite bat sometimes, yet a 13 year old is expected to react to a baseball on a slightly smaller field. There is your problem.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    You have to pivot and turn your shoulders or you won't have leverage to use the bat properly.

I sat in my living room and "bunted" about 10 times, and the my chest never squared up to the pitcher. I was at a 45 degree angle at most.

I bunt just like Ichiro here, except I rotate my hips a bit more and it ALWAYS worked for me. I've never had to square around, and never been taught to do so.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbUdAEEIhb4&feature=related[/ame]

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I sat in my living room and "bunted" about 10 times, and the my chest never squared up to the pitcher. I was at a 45 degree angle at most.

I bunt just like Ichiro here, except I rotate my hips a bit more and it ALWAYS worked for me. I've never had to square around, and never been taught to do so.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbUdAEEIhb4&feature=related

Ok. When I say squared I mean turning some. Ive never seen anyone bunt without turning to the pitcher. If you look closely you can see Ichiro's left shoulder is closer to homeplate than his right. This would expose his chest also.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    Ok. When I say squared I mean turning some. Ive never seen anyone bunt without turning to the pitcher. If you look closely you can see Ichiro's left shoulder is closer to homeplate than his right. This would expose his chest also.

But a ball that strikes his chest at that angle is not direct and would not deliver enough force to kill him. That's what I'm saying.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    But a ball that strikes his chest at that angle is not direct and would not deliver enough force to kill him. That's what I'm saying.

Do you know that for a fact? Maybe we can get CSI to go to the little league diamond and figured out the angles.

The point is kids will be bunting at some point. They will get the sign from their coach and their only focus will be to use the form they've been taught and bunt. All it takes is a high and inside pitch and they will be hit. These are kids and not pros, they will turn their bodies for leverage.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom