• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Congressman Andre Carson (D-Indiana) says a healthy debate is needed.

"I hope so. We certainly need to. He just made the purchase at a sporting goods store," Carson said. "We need to not only protect our 2nd Amendment rights, but we need to look critically at those people who have access to handguns."

:poop: :puke:

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    I think we need MORE guns. I wonder if that guy would've been as likely to open fire into a crowd if he had good reason to believe that everyone was armed. Maybe, maybe not. The fact that not everyone was armed certainly didnt deter him.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    The commentary on CNN tonight was interesting. Their conclusion was that guns weren't to blame, nor was fiery political rhetoric to blame. Their expert's conclusion was that the man was mentally ill and that had the parents gotten him treatment the incident was completely preventable. He went on to say that under Arizona law the University that threw him out also could have demanded a mental evaluation and that might have led to him being diagnosed and getting some treatment.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The commentary on CNN tonight was interesting. Their conclusion was that guns weren't to blame, nor was fiery political rhetoric to blame. Their expert's conclusion was that the man was mentally ill and that had the parents gotten him treatment the incident was completely preventable. He went on to say that under Arizona law the University that threw him out also could have demanded a mental evaluation and that might have led to him being diagnosed and getting some treatment.
    I was reading somewhere earlier that it's easy for someone to get another committed in AZ, for observation. Too many people dropped the ball on this one and now we have a bad situation. I can't believe that the guys parents were that clueless. I can believe the community college, they probably didn't want to hurt his feelings by pointing out that he was a whack job.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    Can I honestly give my opinion about gun control? This is going to be long.

I grew up in a realy bad neighborhood of New York City. EVERY weekend, someone was getting murdered in the streets. It happened so much, people didn't care anymore. Criminals had access to illegal fire arms, ranging from handguns, all the way to grenades and full auto AK47's. More innocent people were killed than the actual intended targets.

I was determined to make a difference, so right out of high school, I signed up for the USMC. That didn't go so well for me because of my knees, but I didn't dread guns. I respected them.

My entire life, I studdied martial arts. I recieved my first black belt in Goju Ryu at the age of 17. I was trained to disarm a gun weilding assailant at distances greater than 5 feet. At one point, I was able to close the distance of 7 feet and disarm the target before he fired the first round. (350 ms, almost the average human reaction time.) When it came to the real life scenario, it did exactly that. I was 22 when I was held at gun point for my money or my life. I was more affraid of him being upset that I only had 10 dollars cash and shooting me anyway. I broke his arm at the elbow and his leg at the knee. If this would have happened yesterday, I would be dead. I'm about to be 33 years old this month and I'm a decade above my prime.

I've lived in Indiana for about 6 months, and I have yet to witness a violent crime in a state that allows "anyone" to own a gun. Back, 7 months, before I made my descision to move, a local drug dealer was shot in the butt practically on my door step. What did he do? 8:30 am two days later, he lit up the block with a fully automatic weapon. Children were walking to school. Luckily no children died, but the owner of the house, a registered RN, was gunned down by the NYPD because he came to his door with his gun. Legal or illegal, the tension was high and it could have been anyone knocking at his door.

I moved to Indiana, without knowledge that this state allowed it's citizens to own firearms. You would expect the crime rate to be high here, especially with the economy in shambles and people loosing their jobs left and right. It's quite the contrary. The majority of the people in America are civilized, albeit a crime of passion, or an argument that couldn't be settled in words, no one wants to kill another. And if they do, a firearm is not the only weapon available. I've seen kids get beaten to death by other kids with baseball bats. Hit and runs, home made explosives, a loose brick, the list goes on for eternity.

I don't want to own a gun for protection, like most of you, I want to collect them. I want to shoot at targets, go hunting, and have a good time doing it. I want to come on these forums, see pictures, get reviews of firearms, so that I may make an educated descision about my next purchase. Not with the intent on drawing it on anyone, but if the situation does arrise, it's better to have and not need...

With all that said, who regulates the illegal acquisition of firearms? It's obvious they are not doing a good job. What if all hell breaks loose and you have to protect your family and land? I'd rather be given the right to legally hold a firearm, and be responsible about it, than to obtain a firearm illegally and feel as if I'm above the law. Owning a gun comes with great responsibility, but it's not the only killing device. I'm sure that crime would have happened regardless if the person had a gun or access to one.

When the intent to kill engulfs someone, ANY KILLING DEVICE WILL SUFFICE.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I was reading somewhere earlier that it's easy for someone to get another committed in AZ, for observation. Too many people dropped the ball on this one and now we have a bad situation. I can't believe that the guys parents were that clueless. I can believe the community college, they probably didn't want to hurt his feelings by pointing out that he was a whack job.

The parents are claiming that they had no clue that there might be a problem but some of the news services are showing a picture of some sort of shrine on their back porch. The photo showed a skull surrounded by rotting pieces of fruit.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    There is a simple fix to this debate.

People who hate/fear guns cannot have them.

All others can.

There, now guns are controlled by the right people.

I second that notion. I would bet my last dollar, that if NYC was a gun carrying city, crime would shoot down. But unfortunately, crime and penalty drives an economy. That in itself is another story, but it doesn't belong here.

I vote yay, for responsible gun ownership. As many and as diverse as you can afford. (With ammo to match. lol)

Top Bottom