• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeff242

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    Police seek suspects in Center Grove home invasion - Local News - Indianapolis, IN | NBC News

Police are actively looking for two armed suspects in an overnight Center Grove home invasion and robbery.

A woman told dispatchers she and her husband were tied up by robbers in their Kensington Grove home, across Morgantown Road from Center Grove High School.
    Sharon O'Garra reported armed robbers broke into their house in the 5000 block of Chancery Blvd. and confronted her and her husband, Hugh, at gunpoint. The two men bound the couple with zip ties and asked them to show where valuables were kept.

They took valuables and jewelry Sharon was wearing, and fled in a car waiting outside the home, according to investigators.
    Sharon went to a neighbor's home to call 911 shortly after 2:20 a.m.

Police are searching the neighborhood for clues.

Johnson County Sheriff Doug Cox said the crime does not appear to be random, as the thieves may have targeted the home by following the couple home and waiting to break in through a basement window.

The couple's home alarm was not turned on.

Investigators ask that anybody in the Kensington Grove neighborhood and at Center Grove schools to check their surveillance video, and to call the Johnson County Sheriff's office with any information. The Sheriff's number is (317) 736-9155. The investigations division number is (317) 346-4604.

jeff242

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    Besides wanting to spread the word, stories like this make me curious as to what other INGOers use for overall home defense. Firearms and training are a given, but what else? Security systems? Camera systems? Sequestered federal agents? :n00b:

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    Grab the kids and wife and run for the baement.

Ok for real; this is scary. They are damn lucky she was not raped/killed and he had to watch. This type of stuff is why I own guns. The fact that this happened in my hood in a nice housing edition hits close to home.

I cant say I would want this to happen to me. But if it did I can say this much; Shots would be fired. A lot of them. Who knows the homies might get me, I might be dead. But I would not go down with out a fight. How much you want to bet this guy wish's he had a gun, or buys one now. This is assuming he did not have one.

Possible NSW.This video is funny but it also has a lot of solid advice. Anthony Cumia from the O&A show XM202.

[video=youtube;BTE4pIAjDDc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTE4pIAjDDc[/video]

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    THIS VIDEO IS NSW, BAD WORDS> BE WARNED.

ITS ALSO FUNNY AS HELL>>>>NSW

[video=youtube;dKs_EYvtpKU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKs_EYvtpKU[/video]

jeff242

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    indydrew1 said:
    I cant say I would want this to happen to me. But if it did I can say this much; Shots would be fired.

I don't know if it was in that article, but in the TV news report, they stated that the perps woke the dude up with a gun to his face, so there's not really an opportunity to open fire in that case, even if your firearm was in your proximity. Self defense training might help, but that's about it.

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    A good dog or two would have been a great first alert and then maybe the bad guys would have been met with a 44 mag in their face.

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    A good dog or two would have been a great first alert and then maybe the bad guys would have been met with a 44 mag in their face.

Very good point. You cant turn the dog off. Well you can but thats not cool at all, don't go there. Why do they have an alarm and it's turned off when they are in bed. And waking up to a strange homie with a gun in your face is a reallllllly bad day.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Besides wanting to spread the word, stories like this make me curious as to what other INGOers use for overall home defense. Firearms and training are a given, but what else? Security systems? Camera systems? Sequestered federal agents? :n00b:
    Yes, yes, and no.

Tons of info out there on how to better secure a home. Nothing is foolproof, but you can certainly up your odds with additional layers. Just to name a few ideas: Lighting, cameras, alarms, hardened doors and windows, dog(s), fences, bushes, good neighbors, and a plan.

For me, this is yet another reminder that criminals can strike anywhere. Be Prepared.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Because its less likely to happen there. And of course no one cares when this happens in the hood. So your point is taken.

As someone stated on another post, why would anyone break into a poor house to steal stuff. I swear some people think a nice trimmed yard and house makes them safe. I get so tired of hearing "this is just a nice area how could something like this happen". You are right about the media not caring about break ins in the hoods, well unless there are bodies.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Good illustration of why carrying at home is a good idea. Other INGOers have posted their home invasion experiences that also illustrate there often is not enough time to retrieve a gun - even from only across aroom.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If you have an alarm you must turn it on dumb asses!
    so it says they probably were chosen. I bet if they had any sort of sense of situational awareness this could have been prevented.

to the guy above who said he was gonna start slinging lead like machine gun Kelly. All I have to say is. Hahahahahahahahaha. Go play some more video games.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Good illustration of why carrying at home is a good idea. Other INGOers have posted their home invasion experiences that also illustrate there often is not enough time to retrieve a gun - even from only across aroom.
    I carry the whole time I'm at home. Its a very vulnerable location. Also I have a couple of newly installed items that are independent of our alarm system that will let me know if someone is in my house. Then I have several plans that I have practiced with my family.
    nothing is for sure but I have given us the best chance for success and survival.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I swear some people think a nice trimmed yard and house makes them safe. I get so tired of hearing "this is just a nice area how could something like this happen".

Whenever I hear a comment like that I imagine a pretty girl saying something like this..."I never really worry about getting raped...I am an honor student, captain of the cheerleading squad, and a finalist in the Miss Indiana pageant...No one would ever rape me...I am just too pretty, smart and successful."

I kind of preach that we are at our most vulnerable while at home. Many people mow the yard in swim trunks. No shirt, music thru the headphones, eyes to the ground and gun in the house. Criminals DO realize this. I have heard of a couple of home invasions where the man was grabbed while he was mowing the lawn, taking out the garbage, getting the mail, etc...I now live my life like it's 1783 in Southern Indiana and that there is a Shawnee behind every tree wanting to kill me, my family, and get what's in my cabin.

It's sad but all it took was one foiled attempted home invasion to turn me into the "paranoid dude down the street that mows with the big ass Smith on his hip."

Last edited:

jzwhts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Mooresville
    Upscale neiborhood equals upscale stuff to take! Carry at home--I read somewhere "100% of all home invasions happen at home." Definitely something to think about.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    That's what makes it news, well that and they are 'elderly'. Few home invasions make the news unless its particularly gruesome, kids or the elderly are involved, etc.

I'm almost scared to ask, but how many do we not hear about for everyone we do?

djhuckle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    I figured upscale means they think they're safe enough to leave their car unlocked in the the driveway and probably leave their house unlocked because it's a "safe" neighborhood. hahaha Locks are there for a reason you suburbanites!!! Also, don't leave garage remote in your car, whether it's locked or not. And lock the door from the garage to the house.

Or not.

Lights are not to show off your house, they scare the bad guys to the dark houses and shrubs near the house are nice hiding places too.

I actually saw a good spam posting on Facebook just yesterday - keep your car keys near your bedside and hit the panic alarm if you suspect anything. Probably make the badguys crap their pants if they are halfway in your window. Make sure you don't shoot bad guys in the back and especially if they are running away.

Of course none of this is legal advice.

Don't get caught slippin'!!!

Urban Dictionary: slippin

Keep it real biotches!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom