• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    INGOer BLOOVMAN talks about enhancements he's made to his Glock.

Anyone else do similar? What do you think about his chosen enhancements?

***LANGUAGE***

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-b69HlWT4Y[/ame]

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The sites can be a worth while upgrade. The trigger is a matter of personal preference. The rest of it, is well more cosmetic than useful in my opinion.

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    Wouldn't mind trying a trigger job on my Glock. I would like to see how it feels, maybe a winter project. The stippling would be great anything to improve grip.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    well....

I have the same sights on mine and I really like them.

I understand where he's going with the tape on the slide but I don't know that I care to do it, it seems like that may be a little to situational to really need to worry about.

I bought Talon Grips instead of destroying my slide with a soldering iron.

I had trigger work done on mine to remove takeup, bring the weight down about 1lb from stock, smooth out the trigger and reduce the reset. Done by NHT3.

All in all I think he's right on with modifications and why one should modify, I just have a lot of issues with permanently destroying part of my gun.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I usually change sights, and have tried Talon Grips before. But that's about it, I haven't found a need to replace anything else yet. But to each their own, that's why options exist. :yesway:

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    All in all I think he's right on with modifications and why one should modify, I just have a lot of issues with permanently destroying part of my gun.

The more you run your gun, the less you care...mainly because you destroy it anyway. You see the slide on Jeff's gun? That wasn't a modification. That was tens of thousands of rounds, drawstrokes and that gun hitting the ground repeatedly. Imagine how the frame looked before he took a soldering iron to it. Wasn't exactly A+

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Heck, all I tried to do was change the magazine release button to lefty for my wife. I couldn't even do that. Their screwdriver under the tension "spring" illustration is flawed.

Anyone know how to do this? :dunno:

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    The more you run your gun, the less you care...mainly because you destroy it anyway. You see the slide on Jeff's gun? That wasn't a modification. That was tens of thousands of rounds, drawstrokes and that gun hitting the ground repeatedly. Imagine how the frame looked before he took a soldering iron to it. Wasn't exactly A+

I don't disagree, and I can see how the "modification" could certainly be helpful, I imagine if mine were already at a point where I just didn't give two poops anymore I'd buy another and do something like that to it. I was taught to take care of your things, tools in particular, and I'm not sure where taking a soldering iron to the frame of a Glock fits into that spectrum. I certainly agree you make a tool work the best that you can, so perhaps that's what's best for him.

Like the stipleling having other less permanent options (Talon Grips) is there a "less permanent" option for creating that "lip" for your hand? There are tons of "accessories" for Glocks, I imagine all one would need to do is make an attachement that runs up the side a bit and maybe attaches to extended frame pins. I'm no Glock Armorer so I'm not even sure that's possible. Time to play with Google.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Like the stipleling having other less permanent options (Talon Grips)

If you didn't notice, talons grips and the stippling we do to our pistols have little in common. Other than the front strap, all the texture added by the talons is in all the places it is least needed when utilizing a proper grip.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    If you didn't notice, talons grips and the stippling we do to our pistols have little in common. Other than the front strap, all the texture added by the talons is in all the places it is least needed when utilizing a proper grip.

IF you install them "correctly". Which I did except mine ride a litt high..... :dunno:
    (I cannot find anything out there that simulates that lip on the front of the slide. I think I have a new product idea or really bad searching abilities.)

off topic a bit and rambling because it's 5am and I've been up for 3 hours
    I had been thinking about "altering" my grip tape a bit, the video has me nearly completely convinced to do so. I noticed while shooting my XDm that the grips were horrible for both hands. So, I got some grip tape, set it up, and it helped exactly none. I had an extra bit lying about so I put it under/in front of my trigger guard and along the off hand side of the slide. That had me shooting a 25rd 2in group at 10yd so I cannot help but think that helped me maintain proper grip and hand indexing. So perhaps it's a bit of laziness, I don't know, that keeps me from doing the same with my Glock or maybe it's just that I secretly want to carry my 1911. Regardless of my facetiousness I'm not going to be taking a soldering iron to my Glock frame this year.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    i stippled the grip on my glock this week. could not be happier with it.

but then again. i own my guns in order to become proficient with them in the case that i need to use it in my defense.

i had talon grips on my g38. all i can say for myself is that stippling and talon grips are in no way the same.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    My Glock 19 was perfect from the factory. I wouldn't mind a "-" connector, but even without it meets all my needs and can be replaced anywhere for ~$500.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    If you don't like the grip on the old frames, you can upgrade the frame of any glock under their warranty. It's only $100 and keeps you in warranty. Plus you get all of the advantages of the newest frame (finger grooves, adjustable grip thicknesses, beavertail add-on, stippling/RTF, reversable mag release, accessory rail, etc.).

They will also re-Tenifer the slide and frame for $60.

I'm pretty sure when you send it in they check and replace (including upgrading) any worn components in the gun, as well. And that's done for free.

Pretty reasonable IMO.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    If you don't like the grip on the old frames, you can upgrade the frame of any glock under their warranty. It's only $100 and keeps you in warranty. Plus you get all of the advantages of the newest frame (finger grooves, adjustable grip thicknesses, beavertail add-on, stippling/RTF, reversable mag release, accessory rail, etc.).

So it's only $100 to go from a Gen3 to a Gen4 frame? That's interesting, given that it was ~$150 to go from a Gen2 to a Gen3 frame just a few years ago.

They will also re-Tenifer the slide and frame for $60.

No they won't. They will refinish the slide (the black coating is NOT Tenifer; you can bead-blast the slide until it is silver, and the slide will still be corrosion- and abrasion-protected) for $60. The frame, being polymer, does not have a "finish" to begin with.

From Wikipedia:
    Glock Ges.m.b.H., an Austrian firearms manufacturer, utilizes the Tenifer process to protect the barrels and slides of the pistols they manufacture. The finish on a Glock pistol is the third and final hardening process. It is 0.05 mm (0.0020 in) thick and produces a 64 Rockwell C hardness rating via a 500 °C (932 °F) nitride bath. The final matte, non-glare finish meets or exceeds stainless steel specifications, is 85% more corrosion resistant than a hard chrome finish, and is 99.9% salt-water corrosion resistant. After the Tenifer process, a black Parkerized finish is applied and the slide is protected even if the finish were to wear off.

PaxRomana

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Pretty much all my Glocks wear Talons and night sights. I like the Talons vs stock grips. I've shot the hell out of my Glocks and, for me at least, the talon grips give me a better control of the gun. Don't know if I could bring myself to do that stipling job to my frames though. It makes sense but still...brutal :):

Top Bottom