• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    In a tense situation as such and what appears to be low light how would one be able to tell the difference between an airsoft and a real thing. I would have felt like my life was in danger.

homer12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Good for the GG at being responsible, but really how could he tell the BG had a pellet gun until he was hit with one. He should have at least drawn his .45 and the BG would have run for the hills and **** himself. :draw:

Don't carry unless you're willing to use it, but good on him for educating his GF.

usaf64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    I carry a gun so that I can be safe from not only death, but serious bodily harm. I pellet to the eyeball could blind a person. 20 of them aimed at a person's face might take out both eyes. Also, a "luckily-placed' shot could end up in someone's brain. To forestall these possibilities, I'm afraid I'd have to stop this unwarranted attack as soon as was practicable. I don't think I could tell the difference between a pellet gun and a "real" gun while being shot at. I also don't think I would take the time to make the determination.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'm guessing the guy just couldn't bring himself to use his gun or hesitated until the guy was taking off, and this is his after-the-fact explanation.

Just speculation on my part but it seems to fit the situation and I just can't imagine that he sorted out the difference between a regular firearm and a pellet gun under the stress of the moment.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    I'm guessing the guy just couldn't bring himself to use his gun or hesitated until the guy was taking off, and this is his after-the-fact explanation.

Just speculation on my part but it seems to fit the situation and I just can't imagine that he sorted out the difference between a regular firearm and a pellet gun under the stress of the moment.

Completely agree

superdave_611

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Part of me says he did the right thing. He would have been tried and convicted by the liberal media before ink on the police report was dry. On the other hand, the actions of the shooter from the beginning to the end of the incident (not to mention his rap sheet) indicates the world would be better off had Mohammed put a slug in his forehead. In the end, I'm glad Mohammed isn't in the same boat as George Zimmerman.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Pellet and airsoft are way different. The guy would not be bleeding from the head and neck if he was shot with a plastic airsoft bb. I have been shot with the muzzle contacting the back of my head before, and it only left a welt. Paintballs hurt worse than airsoft. A pellet gun is deadly. But pellets are pretty slow to load and shoot. Maybe it was a BB gun. If the guy stood there and let someone load up 20 pellets one by one and shoot him, he has problems. If someone points a gun at you, BB or firearm, it's a good idea to at least draw. Lose your eye? Or do they have semi-auto gas pellet guns? I didn't think they did.

Last edited:

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I'm glad that the GG isn't in any worse shape than he is. I'm not completely convinced that he didn't just freeze in fear of what was happening as opposed to deciding not to draw his gun. It does appear that he goes for his gun, but I'm just not sure he was prepared to draw on the guy. FWIW, I'm not dogging on the guy; the BG came out of nowhere and it happened very quickly. I'd LOVE to hear what Shay has to say about this, as I feel like that is kind of his area of expertise, or any other of the guys on here involved with training. I just know that the decision/mental aspect of the situation would be right up Shay's alley.

Also, did anyone catch that the perp's mother turned him in after seeing the video? Awesome; good for her! Nice to see a parent that isn't blinded when something like this happens.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I'm glad that the GG isn't in any worse shape than he is. I'm not completely convinced that he didn't just freeze in fear of what was happening as opposed to deciding not to draw his gun. It does appear that he goes for his gun, but I'm just not sure he was prepared to draw on the guy. FWIW, I'm not dogging on the guy; the BG came out of nowhere and it happened very quickly. I'd LOVE to hear what Shay has to say about this, as I feel like that is kind of his area of expertise, or any other of the guys on here involved with training. I just know that the decision/mental aspect of the situation would be right up Shay's alley.

Despite having a gun, the victim wasn't mentally ready to fight. I agree that his reaction as seen in the video suggests that he was not prepared to be aggressive in any way. His hands remain in his pockets during the first phase of the attack and all of his movements are relatively slow and passive. It's just my opinion, but I don't think he made a conscience decision not to draw his gun.

Decision making under stress is THE most undertrained aspect of personal defense. It's good that people carry guns. It's good that people practice shooting tiny groups. It's good that a few gun owners take live fire classes. But none of these things expand your ability to make good decisions under stress in any appreciable way.

When do you get your gun out? When do you put your gun away? Do you shoot? How many times do you shoot? What do you do before, during and after the fight to make yourself safer?

Being good at answering these questions under stress will have a much bigger impact on your personal safety than shooting tiny groups at the range.

nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    It was an air soft gun.

The guy probably didn't feel his life was in danger, using deadly force would have probably not been justified.

I would have run at him and shoved his toy up his....

Wha... What?? If the victim had been a cop and the cop fired upon and killed the perp I be willing to bet donuts to the dollar it would have been called justified by pretty much everyone.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I respect the fact that the man kept did not risk hitting bystanders by firing back, and respect that neither did he put himself in the position for being prosecuted / scrutinized over whether he was justified. I think it shows a lot of self-control and I am not sure what I would have done, or how I would react after being shot. But I have to admit that my main question after reading the article is not whether or not I would have as much self-restraint as the victim did, but whether or not I will be able to shoot my attacker before he shoots me? My first question is, will I react fast enough?? I think it emphasizes a very important point, i.e. if you are going to carry, you need to be aware of your surroundings at all times, you need to be ready.

Last edited:

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Despite having a gun, the victim wasn't mentally ready to fight. I agree that his reaction as seen in the video suggests that he was not prepared to be aggressive in any way. His hands remain in his pockets during the first phase of the attack and all of his movements are relatively slow and passive. It's just my opinion, but I don't think he made a conscience decision not to draw his gun.

Decision making under stress is THE most undertrained aspect of personal defense. It's good that people carry guns. It's good that people practice shooting tiny groups. It's good that a few gun owners take live fire classes. But none of these things expand your ability to make good decisions under stress in any appreciable way.

When do you get your gun out? When do you put your gun away? Do you shoot? How many times do you shoot? What do you do before, during and after the fight to make yourself safer?

Being good at answering these questions under stress will have a much bigger impact on your personal safety than shooting tiny groups at the range.

Thanks for the insight!

justknapping

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Nashville
    Wha... What?? If the victim had been a cop and the cop fired upon and killed the perp I be willing to bet donuts to the dollar it would have been called justified by pretty much everyone.

There is probably a lot of truth in your statement but I personally gotta say if he had shot the attacker dead at the sight of the gun pointed at him it would be difficult to not justify it. As many have pointed out low light and it looks like a real gun... can't get more justified than that imho.

satchmo72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    I think this is a great case to study for situational awareness and to understand how we would react to it if the same circumstance presented itself. I know it has me thinking.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    :twocents:.........If/when I get to that point......somebody's leave'n......and not the conventional way,neither.......
    :cool:

2093-5.gif

Top Bottom