• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Just my :twocents: but any time we did any training like this when I was in. Including moving through civilian areas, we had empty mags. Only one person was usually armed with ammo. And that was for a sidearm. They could have been doing nothing more thana tactical roadmarch. Some people really get panicked about nothing. It could have been nothing!
    I'm not saying it was or wasn't. Just the story is pretty vague and jumps to alot of conclusions.

P.s. no we wont hear the missiles coming...

You're going to need more of this if you want to hang around here:

reynolds-foil.jpg

I already purchased 300 shares of stock. :):

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Have you ever READ Germany's pre-war constitution? It was about as adequate as ours, as far as recognizing citizens' rights. The NAZIs just ignored it, and passed laws which negated it.

When a government is in charge of determining which restrictions it will abide by, and which it will over rule, the outcome is predictable.

Yes, I did. Saw nothing in there equivalent to 2A though, maybe I missed it though.

EDIT: This is my 300th post, not a plinker any more!

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    After reading some of the comments about the original post, it would seem that there are many here that have never served in the military in any capacity. The powers that be anticipated that the next conflict would involve cities, and have altered training to meet the demands. How else can we expect to have our military preform with any effectiveness if they do not train accordingly? Every one of us TRAINS at a range of some sort, but chances are that the training we go through ourselves will not be put to use on that range, but on a city street, or in a Subway(if you live in Evansville). Training is as realistic as we can make it, but not necessarily in the exact setting of its intended application.
    As far as troops actually following unlawful orders, I am sure that there are some that will follow through. As far as my actual experience, many times, from several commands, was it reiterated to me that unlawful orders were not to be followed (especially when passed down from the executive level), and that while respect would be given to the title, our allegiance was, and always will be, God, Corps, Country, in that order.

underwm4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    While up in Alaska we trained by walking down roads, around golf courses, old nike missile sites or where ever we could. Other times we'd do offensive driving while driving around the base or surrounding roads. Just because we had magazines didn't mean that we had ammo. Also while doing the training its not like they told us to engage or pretend that civilians were hostile. I agree with 45fan and we did try to do training the most realistic that we could. I also saw many unlawful orders be rejected while overseas too.

nimrodder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Indy
    MN equivalent to Camp Atterbury, IN is Camp Ripley (by Little Falls). Last month I went there to attend a CIED course given by ex military EOD types. I've been in the Guard for 19 years and believe me we are not trying to take over the world LOL. Its just a roadmarch.

powerstrokin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Indiana
    Oh I do believe the guys in the stories were just doing regular ol' training, marching, PT, etc. No problems there.

BUT. We can never know the true intentions of leadership. Maybe it's not something anyone is ever going to know. That shouldn't stop people from asking questions, though. Which I think was the intent of where this thread went.

Yeah it's a messed up world we live in, no doubt. The military teaches us to be very vigilant (read: Paranoid) and I think it would be irresponsible for the citizens (non military etc.) not to be too. Especially with everything that keeps happing lately. (Over the last oh, 100 years I mean) More and more crack downs, stripped freedoms, etc.

The folks who see this story and let their imaginations run rampant may be a small minority. I wouldn't blow them off though. You never know.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    i dont think the average rational person has a problem with our troops, or their training locally really. its all the other sneaky under handed crap that the government has been doing that makes it uncomfortable or makes me question things when i see a picture like that. like stated before its not our guard troops, its just an accumulative affect of things. too many pictures of militarized police, homeland security, fbi, swat, TSA stories, too many stories of police entering the wrong house and killing pets and destroying property without so much as "sorry" too many sightings of black suburbans and helicopters speeding and flying around. and all the while our government can not agree on anything until it comes to legislation to strip our liberties away or enact some piece of trash like NDAA and then those bastards and *****es suddenly can get along. sorry for the rant.

in the threads about our soldiers pissing on the bodies of the enemy, taking pictures with the bodies........ i've been attacked and called some pretty cool names because my stance was "these are our troops, fighting for us, i support them no matter what"

i was never able to serve, but i tried to get in but couldnt.

since there were still some folks who were insinuating that folks in this thread hate the military i just wanted to make my stance clear, hopefully i did

jake

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Just to make this clear - in case someone hasn't made the point earlier - State National Guard units belong to the State first, then to the Federal government. Although the majority of the funding for equipment and maintenance has come increasingly from the federal side, the states still have veto power over federalization of their Guard units, as Governor Bayh demonstrated when Indiana refused to release some requested Guard units for Gulf War I.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    The folks who see this story and let their imaginations run rampant may be a small minority. I wouldn't blow them off though. You never know.
    The author of the article cited in the OP is the one with a rampant imagination. OK, I too am now guilty of helping perpetuate this thread.

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    I live about 20 miles from the new homeland security headquarters at Jennings county right off of hwy 50 if you get in that area check it out sometime for a real eyeopener.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Way back when I was in , actually it was Gulf round one .

Anyway , my unit leased a building in Park Fletcher . We didn't march , train , hump or whatever around the immediate vicinity .

Later at Tyndall we didn't march around although , one time we did have a PT test on the Legion mall grounds .

What's the deal , Minnesota doesn't have an Atterbury equivalent ?
    Camp Ripley, makes Attebury look like a pre school....

Top Bottom