• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    Many times people on INGO debate whether they carry their firearm while they are drinking/going out to bars. Seems that many people say that they choose not to carry if they have more than a beer or two. My question is, does this idea carry over to when you are at home drinking? Obviously, I dont think anyone is getting hammered waving a loaded gun around but if you're having a few drinks with buddies at the house, or while you're grilling out, do you sacrifice protecting yourself and family to have a few drinks?

There are many variables that will shape peoples answers to the question. I don't want to hear people say, "I don't drink, so this isn't a problem for me." I want to hear about the people who enjoy a few beers/drinks while mowing the lawn and have a couple more with dinner.

Last edited by a moderator:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    If you arm yourself because some bad guy might attack you, then you should NEVER drink to such an extent that your shooting would be affected. Why be vigilant in one area, only to drop your guard in another?

I have nothing against getting drunk. But if security is a concern, grab a buddy to stand on guard duty.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I carry regardless of where I am drinking. Back in college I never carried while drinking because I would get sloppy drunk and who knows what would've happened, but that was college. I don't drink like that anymore so I don't have any worries about carrying and drinking.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    I don't drink to often any more, and when I do I usually don't drink much. I guess since I started carrying, I consider myself to be "on duty" to protect myself and my loved ones 24/7.

Really better that way, anyway. You never know when the significant other is going to break down on the side of the road and need a ride, or what have you. I promise that "I can't pick you up because I'm drunk" is not the proper response to that call. :laugh:

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    To each his own......while consuming any amount of alcohol I choose not to carry. Imagine how that would come after you in court if you had a BAC anything above 0.0% and had to use your firearm. While criminally you might be exonerated, I choose not to gamble with my life (or life as I know it) even in civil court.

As I said, just personal preference. I know a beer or two, or a glass of wine/port or two, will not effect me to any great extent....but I don't want it on ANY court papers that I was "having a drink or two" and then had to use my sidearm.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    I have nothing against getting drunk. But if security is a concern, grab a buddy to stand on guard duty.
    So would this be a Designated Shooter instead of having a Designated Driver:dunno:

but i agree if it is a concern for safety i would stay within limits of still having the better judgement/aiming ability

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I will drink one beer, pint size, not the talls, with my dinner when we go out. After that it's straight H2O. A man's got to know his limitations.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    To each his own......while consuming any amount of alcohol I choose not to carry. Imagine how that would come after you in court if you had a BAC anything above 0.0% and had to use your firearm. While criminally you might be exonerated, I choose not to gamble with my life (or life as I know it) even in civil court.

As I said, just personal preference. I know a beer or two, or a glass of wine/port or two, will not effect me to any great extent....but I don't want it on ANY court papers that I was "having a drink or two" and then had to use my sidearm.

lmfao...imagine how much youd get flamed in heaven for getting killed cuz u werent carrying your gun cuz u were drinking....

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Post #2 summed it up.

I also don't hide knives, car keys, baseball bats, or anything else when I decide to hoist a few. So then why would I hide my firearm. If drinking turns you into an idiot then by all means have someone lock you in a padded room until you sober up.

gunsrfun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    People make bad decisions sober. So long as you can live with what you do when you drink that's on you. It's your life and I'm not your mother.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    I carry regardless of where I am drinking. Back in college I never carried while drinking because I would get sloppy drunk and who knows what would've happened, but that was college. I don't drink like that anymore so I don't have any worries about carrying and drinking.

My thoughts exactly. When you drink responsibly it shouldnt be an issue.

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I dont drink in bars (due to the price), and i rarely get plastered at home. But, i would think a good criminal would prey on folks who are under the influence, due to loss of quick coordinated function. Which would lead to me thinking that i would still carry if i were to go out and enjoy pops to excess. I like to think that i am old enough and mature enough to be maintain appropriate responsibility.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Don't drink in public; just don't like the idea. Rarely drink at home; doesn't have enough benefits to warrant it. *shrug* So when I drink, its usually a single drink with dinner or while watching a movie or something, and only at home. So there is generally a gun nearby, but not on me.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Some people shouldn't drink. Some people shouldn't carry. And some people definitely shouldn't drink and carry. I drink. I carry. Been doing it for 30 years, no issues. The only time I don't carry, is when it's prohibited. Some of our favorite vacation spots are in States where carrying in a bar is prohibited. When we're there, I follow the law. As far as criminals targeting people when they are drinking, that may be true, but criminals are basically lazy. I'm 6'3 and 285 pounds. There are easier looking targets out there. Ymmv.

Top Bottom