• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Other than the normal armor packing SUV, has anyone seriously considered getting a military surplus armored vehicle?

I have a buddy who has a WWII half-track that is pretty cool..he may or may not have a Ma Duce on the ring mount :ar15:

If I could find a Saracen in good shape, I would love to have it.

If you got the $, you can get some good stuff:

Armor Page 1

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Most of those vehicles require too much maintenance to be useful in situations where fuel may be scarce and parts may be nonexistent. Also, most WWII armored vehicles were not designed with big people in mind. If you're over about 5'6" tall, you might have trouble.

Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    In a few years you can probably start finding those Navistar International MRAPs :D They'll do 85 MPH (or so I'm told).

LAND_MaxxPro_Dash_and%20Plus_lg.jpg

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Other than the normal armor packing SUV, has anyone seriously considered getting a military surplus armored vehicle?

I have a buddy who has a WWII half-track that is pretty cool..he may or may not have a Ma Duce on the ring mount :ar15:

Armor Page 1

You ever see what an A10, Blackhawk, Apache, Cobra, (insert your favorite armor-killing wasp here) will do to an armored vehicle? Or 10 pound sticky charge to the tracks? A couple Raufoss rounds and anything you can buy on the market today is done. All that's left inside is crispy critters.

No SHTF value at all. Slow, require huge parts train and lots of PM, can't get rounds to shoot from it, and all the bad guy has to do is wait for you to bake out of it.

Yeah, this one not so much.

Armor = coffin.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    You ever see what an A10, Blackhawk, Apache, Cobra, (insert your favorite armor-killing wasp here) will do to an armored vehicle? Or 10 pound sticky charge to the tracks? A couple Raufoss rounds and anything you can buy on the market today is done. All that's left inside is crispy critters.

No SHTF value at all. Slow, require huge parts train and lots of PM, can't get rounds to shoot from it, and all the bad guy has to do is wait for you to bake out of it.

Yeah, this one not so much.

Armor = coffin.

I agree that it is a lot to maintain. However, on the armor aspect, I am not really worried about air to ground missiles or military tank killers. I am more worried about bubba down the road with a 12ga.

I am not really in the market for an armored vehicle, I am just saying. :twocents:

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    If it comes to armor, I will put a 1/2" plate in the gap between my truck bed and cab. I will be spending a lot more time hauling ass than driving towards the danger.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

Armor Page 1

I always thought the White Scout car was pretty neat looking when I was nto WW2 armor and vehicles. Not the most practical but a neat looking vehicle. I like that the restorer has the two period MG's mounted on it, de-milled though they may be!

I can't recall the designation for it OTTOMH, but there was a later war vehicle that was also kind of interesting. It was a "utility" vehhicle based on the M-8 Greyhound armored car. Basically it was the same chassis with the turret and 37mm gun removed, open topped and a rign or pintel mounted M-2.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    One of my dad's best friends is that guy in C-ville. He doesn't give test drives, but you can go and look at all his stuff If you got the money he will probably let you take it around. He's got amphib vehicles and all kindsa stuff laying around out there.
    I would personally try and get my hand on a Fox or an 1025 Hummer, both can be armored to all hell and they are FAST if you tweak the throttle cables and have some work done in the gearing department. My crew had the fastest Hummer in Iraq in 05, we tracked in on the BFT and it said we were going 94mph!

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    But in all reality, if I wanted an armored vehicle when SHTF, I will probably end up "acquiring" one. And if the guys don't want to give it to me, well, I may or may not have a long, OD green tube with a red button and instructions printed on the side lol

Andyland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    I like the Ferret MKII scout car, or the Saracen for family outings. Liked the Humber pig, had the money in the checking account, wife was willing, had to do the mature thing and not buy it. :-(

Top Bottom