• ...and so much more!
  • Disgruntled0321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2019
    In a compound
    Armscor 1911 opinions needed.

Thinking about getting a 1911. Have a guy wanting to trade me an Armscor. I know they're entry level but are they any good? Is it something that if I wanted to later on add some better components would be worth it?
    Pic of the 1911 is attached. It already has some Wilson Combat parts in it. Thanks in advance. :draw:

Attachments

• received_462287537715847.jpg
      received_462287537715847.jpg
      164.2 KB · Views: 29
    Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Armscor has upped their game in recent years. They are still most certainly entry level but it used to be a crap shoot whether you got a runner or a PITA. Do you have the opportunity to shoot it before you buy it? If so, I’d recommend that you do. I’m always a bit leery about buying a modified gun as there are some that screw with them and when they introduce a problem, they have no problem just dumping that problem on someone else. Do you know and trust the seller?

As for the brand, I would not hesitate to buy one now if I were looking for an entry level 1911. I don’t think I’d buy one with any intention of modifying it though. They can be decent shooters but mods to an Armscor would most likely decrease the value to anyone else if you decided to sell it down the road. There are better choices out there for not too much more than the cost of an Armscor 1911, such as a used Springfield or Ruger.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    These are at best just shooters if you get one that actually will.
    Yes there are a lot of them out there but how much are they actually shot.
    Like 88 already stated, shoot it. Not just a mag or 2 either. Get it dirty and see how it runs.

If you are wanting to test your basic smithing skills this would be a great way to do it in case you screwed the pooch. No "HUGE" loss. But do not expect any increase in value from the mods. Having been down this road more than a few times no way I make that turn again. If it is your 1st 1911 and you can get it right and it is a runner then yes.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thinking about getting a 1911. Have a guy wanting to trade me an Armscor. I know they're entry level but are they any good? Is it something that if I wanted to later on add some better components would be worth it?
    Pic of the 1911 is attached. It already has some Wilson Combat parts in it. Thanks in advance. :draw:

Test fire it with your ammo. If it functions, then it's good.

Adding new parts will depend on the specific gun. Armscor products tend to vary more in terms of tolerances and how parts are fit than some of the more expensive gun, but ultimately it will depend on the specific gun. Most parts will require fitting by a competent individual anyway, regardless of the brand of 1911 or the brand the aftermarket parts.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Armscor has upped their game in recent years. . . .

That appears to be true. I got to handle and dry fire a new 10mm with the full length rail last night. It was a heavy beast, but it was fit much better than any Rock Island or Citadel I've ever owned (or handled). The best part was the trigger. I've never felt a trigger on an Armscor product that broke like that without some work. It was maybe 4 lbs, but it had a very clean break. Time will tell if the parts are sufficiently hard to either stay the same or improve over time as normal wear polishes them, but it's a remarkable starting point.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That appears to be true. I got to handle and dry fire a new 10mm with the full length rail last night. It was a heavy beast, but it was fit much better than any Rock Island or Citadel I've ever owned (or handled). The best part was the trigger. I've never felt a trigger on an Armscor product that broke like that without some work. It was maybe 4 lbs, but it had a very clean break. Time will tell if the parts are sufficiently hard to either stay the same or improve over time as normal wear polishes them, but it's a remarkable starting point.

Interesting.

Disgruntled0321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2019
    In a compound
    After looking into it I decided to not get the Armscor. Instead I decided to go a different route. I went with a 1911 that was a name I knew well and had a good reputation for quality. Did I spend more for it sure but itll be worth it. I wont have to worry about if I made a mistake by trying to go cheap! I'm gonna start a new thread and seek out everyone's experience and opinion with what I decided to go with. Thanks everyone!

Top Bottom