• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Now that I over being butt hurt...The same arguments being made against the RIA can be made against every manufacturer,they all put out lemons.
    I've seen people on this site bi%^H and moan about almost every manufacturer.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...sion/229284-worst-new-gun-you-have-owned.html

Ruger and S&W made me one, I will never buy a semi-auto from either of these two companies, with the exception of a MK series .22 from Ruger.
    As for their customer service (RIA), from everything I've ever read their CS is one of the best out there.

I have had bad experiences with some mid-range guns out of the box. Springfield to name one. Colts as well. Thing is, once put right they run for a much longer time than an RIA. I tend to repair my guns even if new. I hate to send them off and wait....wait....wait. Hey, I heard that somewhere recently....:dunno:

The butt hurt thing was more for being labelled a gun snob and as I read back it was not you so apology's. But seriously, not everything is in a link or in print somewhere. Gets my hair up sometimes. Guess I am old school.

As to RIA's CS, that to is something that varies. Depends on who you talk to. I have heard some poor things along with the good. Again, I know people who have had to deal with upset customers over RIA's. That is not in a link anywhere.

I have had great CS from Springfield and Ruger but there are folks that disagree with me. That is not in a link anywhere either.

mugable

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Go for it. I have 1500ish rounds through mine (9mm) at this point and I've had no problems with it aside from one failure to fire with some ancient ammo my uncle dug out of his attic.
    I should say though I will soon be selling it to a friend because I'd like to get a 1911 in .45. I've had my eye on that Ruger sr1911 for some time. Maybe I'll go with another RIA. Who knows.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Go for it. I have 1500ish rounds through mine (9mm) at this point and I've had no problems with it aside from one failure to fire with some ancient ammo my uncle dug out of his attic.
    I should say though I will soon be selling it to a friend because I'd like to get a 1911 in .45. I've had my eye on that Ruger sr1911 for some time. Maybe I'll go with another RIA. Who knows.

Get the Ruger...........:):

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I have a RIA 9mm GI model.
    I understand the criticism. It is a 50/50, however my 9mm is flawless. Perfect fit unlike many I've seen. I've ran through 700ish rds with not a single malfunction; steel ammo, brass, HP, anything... I trust it.. but I don't trust them all.

PMPORTER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If it does not cost at least $700.00 it can't be any good right ?? B.S. RIA makes a quality 1911. I own the RIA standard GI model and a Springer loaded. The RIA runs just as good if not better then the Springer. For the price they can not be beat. Buy it and enjoy !

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If it does not cost at least $700.00 it can't be any good right ?? B.S. RIA makes a quality 1911. I own the RIA standard GI model and a Springer loaded. The RIA runs just as good if not better then the Springer. For the price they can not be beat. Buy it and enjoy !

Quality is in the eyes of the beholder. You are one of the lucky 50% that got a player and not a poser. You know, posing as a 1911.
    I have never seen one (and I have experienced a few...seen many) that would outrun a springer. Well, maybe the springer I bought new that was screwed out of the box. AS already mentioned, every manf. runs off a lemon but RIA has way to many.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Had quite a few of them.

Had a 9mm I had to sell due to economic issues. It was decent enough and after a LOT of massaging (and a new extractor that WASN'T tuned to rimmed .38 Super), it ran okay with shallow mouth hollow points and flat pointed/truncated cone. If you ran round nose through it, it ran and ran. Not superbly accurate (about 5" at 25 yards benched).

The .45s... Well, I had one that I ran for 7000, give or take 100, rounds, two barrels (the original stripped the rifling out at 2000 rounds roughly, put in an EZ fit Kart as a project) and about every part in it replaced with new, off the shelf parts after they broke left and right. The hammer pin went out of round, the extractor hook broke (yeay CHEAP MIM), the barrel bore wore out, the bushing cracked at 100 rounds (one of the few places MIM, even good MIM, should not be placed), firing pin mushroomed at 500ish rounds, FP stop cracked after 10 dry fires around round 2000, etc.. etc... People kept telling me, hey, why not send it to Armscorp? Naw. Wasn't the point of the exercise. The frame to slide fit went to hell after 1000 rounds, floppy floppy sloppy.

Had another that ran okay, but I lightly used it.

Their officer size guns: have yet to see one run reliably. The one I had began peening slide rails at round 100. New gun, resprung properly, but just not hardened correctly.

Side notes: A company that makes a commander sized 1911 that uses a bull barrel isn't being "custom", they do it for a reason (so they don't have to spend time trying to time a barrel on a shorter 1911, which is difficult at times).

Their small parts kinda suck, no ifs ands or buts. If it lasts, great. If not, it breaks. This isn't a MIM vs. Forged situation, more like a crap MIM vs. good MIM situation. I have no qualms with MIM in my guns, as long as it's done correctly and not in certain areas (like the barrel bushing or LINK).

I wish, WISH, they would release their bare slides/frames for sale again. Made a nice-ish commander that I gave to my dad after vetting it with an Armscorp frame. For a starter gun or beginning builder, they were a decent frame for a good price.

Cast frame/Forged frame: I'm on the fence. Yes, I will hear of people that say cast is okay, and "look at so and so company, they use cast and they are fine". I'm not disparaging that. I will disparage, however, CHEAP and IMPROPER casting that RIA has produced often. I worked at a shop for a year and at a range for 8 now: A lot of garbage RIAs have shown up. Problem is, they suffer the Hi Point syndrome in terms of shooting: Most RIA owners buy it, shoot a few rounds, then into the glove box or underwear drawer. Some actually shoot them though.

The cast frame is fine for low recoil .45 over time, 9mm certainly! A 9mm Rock would be an excellent build up gun provided it's not a junk model and you want to spend lots o money with parts/fitting. I think they need their heads examined making a cast frame (crappy QC at that) with a 10mm cartridge, especially with the resurgence of hotrodding the round.

Better than a Kimber/Colt/Double Star/etc... no. Believe me, there is a HUGE difference. A decent beginner 1911 for later buildup? Marginal, unless you have it in a weird model that is usually expensive going another route (9mm for example, idiots want 1 grand for a beater Springer Milspec or Colt in 9mm, pass). But as a gun, they are "meh". There are better DEFENSIVE arms out there and better SPORTING arms out there for the same money.

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    I have a RIA Tactical. It shoots just fine.​

It eats my reloads with no problems. NEVER had any problems with it, it does very nice groups. I would say almost 3k rounds down the pipe. At this point I would get another, I cant bad mouth something that has worked very well IMHO. I must be blessed with the luck of the gun gods. oh, I did change the grips, but that is all (so far). Anyone wanting to try the cheap, cheap 1911 , just let me know, I wont get butt hurt if you dont like it. Many have tried it, none said it was junk, yet. YES YOU CAN SPEND MORE MONEY ON A BETTER 1. I'm just have fun with it.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Quality is in the eyes of the beholder. You are one of the lucky 50% that got a player and not a poser. You know, posing as a 1911.
    I have never seen one (and I have experienced a few...seen many) that would outrun a springer. Well, maybe the springer I bought new that was screwed out of the box. AS already mentioned, every manf. runs off a lemon but RIA has way to many.

I agree with everything you have said.
    I took the RIA gamble and won. I took another gamble an won it on gunbroker for $288+ $20 shipping BNIB.
    Fit and finish is by no means quality... but the function is just as good as any of my Sig's and custom Berettas.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County

Sounds like quality control issues from here as I have read many of the same things that you and others talk about. I don't own one but I have heard basically all of the things that you have covered. Quality control can make or break.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a RIA Tactical. It shoots just fine.​

It eats my reloads with no problems. NEVER had any problems with it, it does very nice groups. I would say almost 3k rounds down the pipe. At this point I would get another, I cant bad mouth something that has worked very well IMHO. I must be blessed with the luck of the gun gods. oh, I did change the grips, but that is all (so far). Anyone wanting to try the cheap, cheap 1911 , just let me know, I wont get butt hurt if you dont like it. Many have tried it, none said it was junk, yet. YES YOU CAN SPEND MORE MONEY ON A BETTER 1. I'm just have fun with it.

The tactical is a higher end RIA than the crap shoot $325 base model.

I have shot a friends RIA Tactical and it did its job until just past the 3K mark. The barrel went mush. He is looking at making it a Sunday afternoon project gun. That involves the tools (I have everything) some beer/brats and a good TV with the playoffs running.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Is there some kinda curse on Hoosier shooters? I frequent several shooting boards and this place has to have the most frequent gun problems of them all.

99% of firearms problems are user induced.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    The range where I go, gave me some good advise years ago.
    When you are thinking of buying a gun, go to the store and carefully compare it to another gun of like style.
    Check out as many like styles as possible, preferably in low, medium and high price ranges.
    If you think the low end gun, is even close in quality to the medium or high end gun, then go for it.
    I have used this over the years, and have not purchased a low end gun since. A gun is different than buying a ball point pen.
    Just my 2 cents.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    This thread really suprised me. I have no opinion on RIA myself, but I had been researching them recently and was reading almost all good. From INGO to 1911 forums, and several reviews. Almost 100% recommendations to buy. A guy I work with has one and likes his, and bought it because guys he knew liked theirs. I definitly understand getting burned and not liking something. It happened to me with Kel-Tech. Any gun can break. I have sent back Sig, Ruger, Kahr and don't laugh, Taurus. For me, if I don't like it, I won't buy it. I like to hear everyone's opinions, then make my choice. If this thread were the only place I was getting opinions, I would probably shy away from RIA.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Close friend of mine has a RIA mil-spec 1911. Works just fine. For a starter 1911 on a budget it's good to go in my book. Personally I will stick to my Springfield. However, I only carry Glock and Kahr as EDC.

I liked my first one enough that I bought a couple more of them. I didn't get as good as the first one I bought. It went close to 3K before it puked on me. When I tore it down is when I realized just exactly what I had.
    I think IF IF you get one that functions properly AND AND don't shoot many rounds through it that it would be fine for the money.
    Personally I'm afraid of the "IFs ANDs and BUTs" because that's NOT why I buy guns.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Is there some kinda curse on Hoosier shooters? I frequent several shooting boards and this place has to have the most frequent gun problems of them all.

99% of firearms problems are user induced.

User induced as in what, shooting them. Everything runs 100% in the safe. I don't understand your statistic.

Dosent the RIA 1911 tac use a proprietary front sight dovetail cut?

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I own a Kimber full size 1911 and an RIA full size. Have shot both guns many times. Both function 100%. Kimber cost over $1000.00, RIA was little under $500.00. Kimber has better finish, but as to function, both work perfect and have shot every .45 I put in them. I would trust my life to either one.

Top Bottom