• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Peter Potamus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    The only thing Gibbon has to fear is the huge cost of defending himself in countless, frivolous lawsuits. They can't get him on a violation of any laws but they can force Armslist off the Net in other ways.

stocks52

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    Warsaw
    I require that a buyer be a resident of Indiana and have a carry license. I am selling pistols...or trying to at least.

stocks52

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    Warsaw
    I am selling a Taurus 709 Slim and a holster...it's a carry weapon. I just feel better about the deal if they have a carry license. I have turned down many offers without a carry license.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Why a carry license? What if they have no intention of carrying the gun? The law requires that your buyer be an Indiana resident. It is silent on them having a license to carry.

If the OP is not a dealer then he has no way of conducting a check. The LTCH requirement offers some comfort that the person isn't restricted. It's a common request. Some of us insist on a bill of sale as well.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Why a carry license? What if they have no intention of carrying the gun? The law requires that your buyer be an Indiana resident. It is silent on them having a license to carry.

The requirement acts as an implicit background check. Not necessary, but certainly nice indemnification of liability to have in one's back pocket, should the need arise.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    alice_prof.jpg

Must...not...get...sucked...in...

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.7%
    22   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    If I sell or buy a gun on armslist or ingo. I request to see a driver license, ltch and a signed bos. I no on any of those I pass. To me that is due diligence

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    A person who is selling an item may require whatever he wants. If you don't want to comply then you don't get the item. Seems pretty simple to me.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well, I would not purchase a firearm from anyone that requires that I show my LTCH. I personally feel that the BATF has enough rules / laws in place that I certainly don't need to add more. Yeah, I have a lifetime LTCH AND an FFL-03 (Curio and Relic collector). I have several friends and family members that don't have or want to carry a handgun, but do keep one in their home for protection. Should they be eliminated from the list of persons you would sell to because they don't have a license to carry? Both my sisters have handguns in their home - both in their 80's.

Federal law just states that a seller must not sell to someone they know or have a reasonable reason to believe that the person is not legal to possess a firearm. They do require that the person reside in the same state and be of age 18. (FFL dealer 21 for handgun). If you abide by the law (which I do) you have ZERO liability after the sale. So if a person shows you a Indiana DL that proves residence and age, and if I don't have any reason to believe they are not legal to possess a firearm, I will sell to them (if I ever sell a firearm). If someone demands more from me when buying, I will put my cash back in my pocket and buy elsewhere. I staunchly support the right to own and possess firearms for legal persons. I will not make it more difficult then it already is for many people!

Last edited:

Peter Potamus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Well, I would not purchase a firearm from anyone that requires that I show my LTCH. I personally feel that the BATF has enough rules / laws in place that I certainly don't need to add more. Yeah, I have a lifetime LTCH AND an FFL-03 (Curio and Relic collector). I have several friends and family members that don't have or want to carry a handgun, but do keep one in their home for protection. Should they be eliminated from the list of persons you would sell to because they don't have a license to carry? Both my sisters have handguns in their home - both in their 80's.

Federal law just states that a seller must not sell to someone they know or have a reasonable reason to believe that the person is not legal to possess a firearm. They do require that the person reside in the same state and be of age 18. (FFL dealer 19 for handgun). If you abide by the law (which I do) you have ZERO liability after the sale. So if a person shows you a Indiana DL that proves residence and age, and if I don't have any reason to believe they are not legal to possess a firearm, I will sell to them (if I ever sell a firearm). If someone demands more from me when buying, I will put my cash back in my pocket and buy elsewhere. I staunchly support the right to own and possess firearms for legal persons. I will not make it more difficult then it already is for many people!

Excellent. I find that few have any real clue what the codified law is regarding FTF sales and their responsibility. You have stated it well in your post.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I use it in much the same way. Although, I will also accept a Common Access Card signifying current military service.

I knew a recruiter in Seymour, that would take a Felon, to Ky., and have him enlist, and then transfer him, or her, to the INARNG....

I have been Ret., for almost 8 years, and this happened B4 that, but I wouldn't trust that .....

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    These two posts are spot on. I've walked away from deals where I arrived to buy something with cash in my hand solely out of principle. The last one I walked away from, the guy didn't preface his requirements before we met. I got there and he had a camera. He wanted pictures of me, my INDL, and my LTCH. Hell no. Just on principle. In addition, If you're an individual, I don't want you to have my information recorded. Who are you, to me, from joe bob the serial killer? I have no way of knowing, and I'm not letting you record a damn thing.

But as a seller, you can request whatever you want. I support that. But I'm also not going to do business with anyone that requires anything that I legally don't have to do and am not comfortable with.

A person who is selling an item may require whatever he wants. If you don't want to comply then you don't get the item. Seems pretty simple to me.

I completely agree with the post below. It's already an infringement on our constitutional rights the way things are. To require me to pay money to exercise a constitutional right is an atrocity in and of itself. As a seller, to go a step further and require more than is legally required, is to not be a supporter of the 2nd Amendment. And those people who do that, I do not wish to do business with. Even though I have a valid INDL and LTCH, I'll walk away from a deal just on principle.

Federal law just states that a seller must not sell to someone they know or have a reasonable reason to believe that the person is not legal to possess a firearm. They do require that the person reside in the same state and be of age 18. (FFL dealer 19 for handgun). If you abide by the law (which I do) you have ZERO liability after the sale. So if a person shows you a Indiana DL that proves residence and age, and if I don't have any reason to believe they are not legal to possess a firearm, I will sell to them (if I ever sell a firearm). If someone demands more from me when buying, I will put my cash back in my pocket and buy elsewhere. I staunchly support the right to own and possess firearms for legal persons. I will not make it more difficult then it already is for many people!

Top Bottom