• ...and so much more!
  • Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    Just came across this..

SFC Walter Taylor was in Afghanistan on his 4th tour. While doing his job of clearing roadside bombs/IEDs made a split second decision, killed a suspicious person, turned out to be a known female doctor. Was injured by an RPG blast and is now facing a possible dishonorable discharge. If that happens, he would lose all his benefits.

Support this!

Donation page: Support SFC Walter Taylor -- Indiegogo

Official page: https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=407113582661313&refid=20&_ft_=fbid.371825599549649

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Just came across this..

SFC Walter Taylor was in Afghanistan on his 4th tour. While doing his job of clearing roadside bombs/IEDs made a split second decision, killed a suspicious person, turned out to be a known female doctor. Was injured by an RPG blast and is now facing a possible dishonorable discharge. If that happens, he would lose all his benefits.

Which is why I would folks to be very cautious about joining the military. I'm sure it is great in peace time. However, when you have full on wars, you have a move to make the military more like police, with police rules and regulations. They train you to kill, kill, kill, and they wonder why stuff like this happens.

This is somewhat related to the Border Patrol agent policy that came out. From what I've read, if they are off-duty and an active shooter situation unfolds, they are run and hide, and only take out the shooter if they have no escape. So you take a human being, train them on stopping people doing harm, then request that if they are off-duty, not to use their training and equipment to possibly save lives. Some entities are so worried about image and lawsuits, stuff like this ends up happening.

Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    Which is why I would folks to be very cautious about joining the military. I'm sure it is great in peace time. However, when you have full on wars, you have a move to make the military more like police, with police rules and regulations. They train you to kill, kill, kill, and they wonder why stuff like this happens.

This is somewhat related to the Border Patrol agent policy that came out. From what I've read, if they are off-duty and an active shooter situation unfolds, they are run and hide, and only take out the shooter if they have no escape. So you take a human being, train them on stopping people doing harm, then request that if they are off-duty, not to use their training and equipment to possibly save lives. Some entities are so worried about image and lawsuits, stuff like this ends up happening.

Well said. It's just bs how fast the government will eff you over..and it's not like this guy knew it was a female civilian and gunned her down for kicks. I mean I wasn't there but it sounds like he made a judgement call and turned out to be a mistake but given what he's been through, can you blame him?

I really hope everything works out for him in the end.:patriot:

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN

Spoken exactly like someone who has never served. Those of us who have/do don't decide to do so only during peaceful times. Unfortunately this Soldier is in a bad situation and hopefully it works out in his favor. I definately don't agree with military personnel being judged by soccer moms for what they've faced under enemy fire on foreign lands.

Thatguythere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Monrovia,In
    I hate hearing about things like this. I often think about when I was in Iraq. I remember being told we would have to request permission to return fire. So dumb. I feel for this guy.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    The U.S. Gov. has a very long history of screwing over it's own heros. I don't figure they're going to stop now. How awful would it be to be serving over there and not only have to worry about the enemy taking you out but also having to second guess every decision you make because you're worried what the consequences from your own command will be if you screw up even a little in a split second situation. Sad.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Well, there was a LT in the Marine Corps that was recently busted for a like incident, however, his record has been vindicated and he was recently promoted. This is in the Jun 25 article of the Marine Corps Times. I was not able to find the link to that story, however, even congress is wanting to change the ROE and punishments for it, as pointed out in this article. However, I doubt congress in any sort of rush to get this done
    Shifting guidelines prompt calls for ROE reform - Marine Corps News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Marine Corps Times
    However, this article is from April, and like I have said, there is a newer one, but might not be able to be available to everyone yet (I have a subscription to the Army Times, so I can read the direct articles, sorry that I can not post them on here.

Goes to show, yes, they are messed up, but something is being done about it, and if he has been vindicated, then it shows that if you are in the right, it might happen in this case as well. Since I do not know all the circumstance in this Army SFC case, I will be quiet on it, but lets hope that they found out it was BS and kick that case already

Top Bottom