• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    I know what most of you would say about getting guns from walmart....

But i was curious if the AR's are worth the money they are asking.

I'm not an educated AR person, however i will be getting one very soon....so i need to brush up on the mechanics of them.

I do support my local gun store.....but you have to go where the deals are these days to save money where ever you can.

Not saying i will get one from there but just seeing if you all think they are good for the price.

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    I see it a couple of ways.

First if they have exactly what you want and you did all your research on INGO or elsewhere online and never compared any other guns in a LGS and its a good price then go for it.

But if you go to your LGS and ask questions and play with ten different gun makes and models then walk out and go to Walmart to save $30.00 that is very crappy. The LGS will almost always have a higer price but that is because they have actual people that know what they are talking about. And they are stocking many different brands and models. Unlike Walmart who probably orders 50,000 of only three models (Colt, DPMS & Mossberg).

Just my :twocents:.

karatejoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Greenwood
    There is a guns shop on South side of indianapolis that sells base AR15 for $650.00.
    They can upgrade while you wait if you want to change anything. They are very knowledgable.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    The Walmart here has good prices on their ARs. DPMS and SIG. I think they had Bushmaster for awhile too. Just get the model number and research a bit. I still went with PSA over something off the shelf.

sprint395

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    My vote is to support the LGS over Walmart anytime. Most gun shops are going to be about 10% higher than Walmart. The difference is that you get support and a real person instead of a 18YO kid that has no interest/experience with the AR15 platform.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have to go with the LGS on this one. Wally has no real interest in guns or the lifestyle. It is just to get you into the store. It is the same thing as going to Gander Mountain only a bit cheaper. No knowledge in the staff.
    DPMS is not a brand I would suggest to a friend. I would gather all the bits and build one to keep a friend for a "New" DPMS. They are not the same quality they used to be.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There is a guns shop on South side of indianapolis that sells base AR15 for $650.00.
    They can upgrade while you wait if you want to change anything. They are very knowledgable.

That gun shop, in case anyone is interested, is Law Enforcement Firearms, and is located at 2619 Shelby St. (near Garfield Park). Their website: L. E. Firearms, Inc.

Very good folks in there.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    The answer to your question is YES... the AR15's at Walmart are worth the money for sure. Look at the brand names... research which one has the best customer service reviews.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I was in Bradis last week (Thanks Shooter) and saw a basic AR on the wall. I ddint look it over, couldn't tell you who made it, but the price tag definatly started with a "5".

Kentucky Ave in Camby. Well worth the drive, ask for MARK.

762minigun

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indianapolis SS BG
    No Fort Wayne Walmarts have AR's. :(

Neither do the Indy stores. :dunno: Don't feel bad they don't like us either...

The Colt 6920 Walmart carries is $1097

Only known Colt QC issue I know of currently is that some of the carrier gas key screws are not staked. Rifles have been purchased from other vendors with the same QC issue. Automatic center punch, and about 30 seconds fixes that issue.

The only local stocking dealer is Plainfield Shooting Supply. He is + or - $1.00 of Walmarts price.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Neither do the Indy stores. :dunno: Don't feel bad they don't like us either...

The Colt 6920 Walmart carries is $1097

Only known Colt QC issue I know of currently is that some of the carrier gas key screws are not staked. Rifles have been purchased from other vendors with the same QC issue. Automatic center punch, and about 30 seconds fixes that issue.

The only local stocking dealer is Plainfield Shooting Supply. He is + or - $1.00 of Walmarts price.

Buy it Bob then. They are honest hard working folks out there in Plainfield.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Nope, Indy stores don't seem to carry them. I was (unfortunately) shopping at Wally World this afternoon. I don't care about the usual arguments against the chain, I just find it to be an unpleasant place to shop. The Wal-Mart on Lafayette Road doesn't even carry ammo (that I could find).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Nope, Indy stores don't seem to carry them. I was (unfortunately) shopping at Wally World this afternoon. I don't care about the usual arguments against the chain, I just find it to be an unpleasant place to shop. The Wal-Mart on Lafayette Road doesn't even carry ammo (that I could find).

You must be close to us. Wife shops in the Laff. Rd store. Food and such. She prefers Miejers but they are getting pricey.
    That store does not even stay open 24 hrs. anymore. Too many Zombies. Use your imagination. Brownsburg has AR's. The have some ammo there as well.

vtxrecruiter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    West Indy
    JUST bought a Sig Magpul Enhanced M400 at the Greencastle WalMart, and it was WELL worth it. Came with a NICE soft case, and the price was right.
    Here is the rifle:
    1002798.jpg

jimbob488

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    MERRILLVILLE INDIANA
    ar

Hey
    The Valparaiso walmart has a few ar15 They had a colt at a great price. a dpms and an older bushmaster. Also had a windham weaponry. I saw them a week ago but i would imagine you could order one. Good prices

marinemom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Columbus
    I bought my AR at Walmart. It is a DPMS and it is a great gun that was a few hundred dollars cheaper than some of the gun stores close by.........

With that being said, I probably will NEVER buy another gun from Walmart because of the Jackass behind then counter. My husband and boys were with me when I went in to purchase it and he assumed I was doing a straw purchase for said hubby. I mean what lady in her right mind would buy such a big gun?

We went rounds and finally the manager came and over ruled him after speaking with me for a few minutes.

I should have walked out, but I wanted that gun! I asked the jackass if he wanted to go to the range with me, but he declined:)

I don't care if I am saving $$, next time it will be a gun shop or gun show purchase!

Top Bottom