• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    There's been a lot of talk of arthritis lately. So instead of commenting in every thread I thought I would just start a thread here.

I suffer from extreme arthritis myself. (actually more than one type) I've been suffering from arthritis since my 20s and have tried all the latest drugs. They cost a ton of $$$ and didn't do squat. Unless you count some of them making me quite ill. While sitting at the Oncologist's office with the wife, a 90 something woman saw how bad my hands were. She told me to try drunken raisins. I researched this for a few days and decided to give it a try. Now you can laugh all you want, but they worked for me. If they don't work for you, you'll only be out about $20. So what's to lose. You'll need:

Bottle of Gordon's London Dry Gin (cheapest that will work as it's made with natural ingredients)
    Golden raisins (must be golden not regular)
    a small glass jar (Mine is a 3" cube I picked up at Wally world for $1. I now have two. One to eat from and one for starting new ones)
    cheese cloth (find this in the craft section. If you ask, I'll be glad to send you a piece for free)
    something to hold the cheese cloth on the jar (I use a hair tie)

Take the small glass jar and put 1/2" of golden raisins in it. Add gin so the raisins are covered and a bit extra as they're going to expand and absorb the gin. Soak for a week with cheese cloth over the jar (not a lid), place in refrigerator. Then start eating 9-10 a day. I rinse mine off and just pop them in my mouth. Most people see results quickly but it may take up to 6-8 weeks according to the sites I read. I saw results start in about a week.

I've been eating them for about 3 months now. The inflammation has reduced about 1/3 to 1/2 of what it was. This also means the pain is less. Flexibility has improved by 2 -3 times depending on the damage to the area we're talking about. Some of my joints are gone. Those aren't as swollen and hurt a lot less now though.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, this is not medical advice. It's just a folk remedy that was told to me. I spent some time looking into it and gave it a try. It worked for me. Discuss it with your doctor if you want. Mine doesn't believe in that sort of thing, like most doctors. She did however say it wouldn't screw with my other meds and couldn't see where it could harm me.

Last edited:

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I cut up a cucumber and put it into Gordon's gin (didn't want to ruin the better stuff). Works. Tastes great like Hendricks. Then I did it with Tanqueray. Soak 2 days, remove cuke slices. Didn't eat the cuke, but have great tasting gin. Haven't tried it for arthritis, thumb joint, knees, but it's not a major problem yet. Don't mean to hijack this thread. I passed your recipe on to my wife who has more issues then I do. Thanks for the info.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Will Tanqueray work? I've got a huge bottle that I've had for years, and I don't drink gin. (Got it because I had a "friend" who did.)

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Will Tanqueray work? I've got a huge bottle that I've had for years, and I don't drink gin. (Got it because I had a "friend" who did.)

I'm not sure. I don't drink. The gin is flavored with juniper berries, orris root, cardamom, and coriander. These are what's thought to do the magic along with the antioxidants in the raisins.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    Steve B. Do you let the raisins soak up the gin in a cool dry place for a week or more and then put them in the refrigerator after this?? Most websites say do it this way, but it looks like you may put them in the fridge straight away and let them soak in the fridge for a week prior to eating. I am going to give it a try either way.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I don't have arthritis, but it sounds like it would be, at least, worth a try for anyone who does. Try 'em for a couple months, see if they help!

OR...

Just pop a handful of raisins and drink a 1.75 ltr. bottle of gin a day! Won't lessen the arthritis, but it'll make ya so ya don't care! :laugh:

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    Steve B. Should the grapes swell up much when they have been sitting in the gin for a week? I expected them to swell up more like a grape due to absorbing fluid from the gin, but mine are not really doing much here. I took them out of the fridge yesterday to see if them being a bit warmer for a while would help. Just checking what you see.

Top Bottom