• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Saw this article today. The logic is pretty easy to punch apart. Let's punch it apart anyways.

Why the 'Citizen Militia' Theory Is the Worst Pro-Gun Argument Ever - Mark Nuckols
    If America experienced a widespread political uprising today, it would bear little resemblance to Lexington and Concord in 1775, with well-disciplined minutemen assembling on the town square to defend liberty against the redcoats. It would more likely be a larger scale reenactment of the "Bleeding Kansas" revolt of 1854 to 1861, when small bands of armed zealots unleashed an orgy of inter-communal violence, unbounded by any laws of war or human decency.

Armed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Michiana
    ^ agreed
    I would love to post my opinion here but id hate to get banned so soon after joining ingo, as ive read my views concerning this are not to be discussed here...

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    He also states in the article that the militia would not stand a chance against our modern military. What he fails to understand is, our military has sworn an oath not to follow any "unlawful orders". Attacking our citizens would fall into that. Our military members follow orders, but they are are just like us, and have most of the same views we have on the subject.

^ agreed
    I would love to post my opinion here but id hate to get banned so soon after joining ingo, as ive read my views concerning this are not to be discussed here...

Depends, are your opinions anti-gun, anti-2nd Amendment, anti-freedom? If so, then your opinions probably won't be welcome. If not, then come on man, have an opinion. Add some "Quality Posts"! It only takes 50!

Armed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Michiana
    My opinions include 'edited for content' and that is not to be discussed, per the rules! So, as I stated, I'll remain silent on the subject...
    Starting now...

Last edited:

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Yep, Ban-Hammer...

:laugh:

You sir are the

4c09c69b0476bf29448506fe703aac5c_zpsfb331dde.jpg

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Well diciplined minutemen? You mean rag-tag farmers and townsfolk who had only shot firearms for food? Our guys back then knew nothing but defeated the British Empire. That tells me a lot.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Well diciplined minutemen? You mean rag-tag farmers and townsfolk who had only shot firearms for food? Our guys back then knew nothing but defeated the British Empire. That tells me a lot.

Necessity is the mother of invention, and this is not limited to fashioning gadgets. Don't ever forget that.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Why civil war? Why not secession? Enough states split from the union and maybe the federal government will start to shrink. If not, they can exercise their rule over those states that choose not to be in control of their own.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Why do all these writers assume the following?
    1. Colonial militiamen were disciplined.
    2. Our standing military is invincable.
    3. Our government is anything other than inept.
    4. Our soldiers would willingly take part in disarmament.
    5. That gunowners are foaming at the mouth to unleash a bloodbath.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    I do slightly wish our side would stop pointing out that the second amendment is the last resort against OUR government. Of course it is. We know that. The founders knew that.

But everyone on the left just 'knows' our government would never turn. We've been brainwashed since grade school that America is a magic, perfect land where that could never happen.

I think we should focus more on the argument for the citizens being armed to fight off a foreign enemy. We were attacked just a decade ago. The threat is always still there. We should stress the importance of an armed citizenry being more likely to DEFEND our government and our country since it is, in my opinion, even more likely.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    That is what really floors me. A lot of people live in this Utopian world where our government would never do them any harm. It has been so incremental that they don't even notice how deep the .gov is in our pockets and our lives. Give this economy and debt situation a few years to start causing people some serious grief and they may start waking up a little.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

The "Magick of America" is not in who we are or where we are, but rather in the massive set of checks and balances on ALL levels our founding fathers put into place.

Within the Federal government we have three (3) branches balancing each other out.

Within our nation we have Federal government and State governments balancing each other out.

Within the Constitution we have a Federal method of changing the Constitution AND a State method of changing the Constitution.

Within the two (2) houses of the Legislature we have one (1) House of Representatives that is extremely reactive to popular demand and one (1) Senate that is extremely slow to react to popular demand.

As a lasting balance of power we have "We, the People..." who may affect change through internal methods (voting, ballot initiatives, lobbying, etc) and external methods (the fear of physical resistance.)

Often times it should be the fear alone that impedes power grabs by anyone at any level of power. Fear of impeachment. Fear of lawsuits. Fear of being elected out of office. Fear of violence.

In this context it isn't the action that is important but rather fear of the action, as the fear itself will limit (in theory) illegal and unconstitutional activity.

This is why fear is a good thing. As an analogy investors should always be a little afraid of loosing their money, as this fear causes them to think carefully about where they invest. However, when the government begins a policy of bailouts the investors fear is removed and in so doing can cause an otherwise cautious investor to make unwise investment decisions. As companies begin to absorb money from investors that are no longer afraid the companies themselves begin to behave with reckless abandon as they are unafraid of loss - they have become too big to fail.

A people completely unafraid of the law and enforcement thereof can lead to anarchy. A government completely unafraid of the governed can lead to tyranny.

That was our founding fathers greatest blessing. To instill in everyone a little bit of fear so as to avoid tipping over a great nation.

Regards,

Doug

Armed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Michiana
    Why civil war? Why not secession? Enough states split from the union and maybe the federal government will start to shrink. If not, they can exercise their rule over those states that choose not to be in control of their own.

Secession isn't an option for me. we are the ones who want to uphold the constitution of the usa, if anything, the left should leave, as they are the ones who do not believe in the our founding principals. we are the real americans and I wouldn't have it any other way!

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    Secession isn't an option for me. we are the ones who want to uphold the constitution of the usa, if anything, the left should leave, as they are the ones who do not believe in the our founding principals. we are the real americans and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Were it to happen, I wouldn't see it so much as secession, but rather it would be free states casting off the tyrannical states. We would be the USA, and they would become whatever the crap they want to.

Top Bottom