• ...and so much more!
  • Bacon0101

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2024
    Franklin, IN
    Depends on the day and length of travel. This morning I am waiting on my daughter and about to make the 3-4 mile trip to drop her off at school.

Small handgun on belt, Swiss Army knife, wallet, keys, utility flashlight, phone, watch

Vehicle: depends but both have a small tool box, jumper cables, weather resistant blanket, first aid/trauma kits, extra jacket/wind breaker, rain coat spare firearm locked in a safe.

Traveling: depends but if it’s any distance sturdy shoes, some snacks/food or maybe even a couple MREs if it is a long trip, bottled water, rain gear, shotgun

Edit: a backpack. I pretty much always have a backpack because I might want to take my laptop. If you want to carry a rain coat, some power bars and some bottles of water I would have a backpack. In my computer bag I stash a pair of lightweight wool socks, extra underwear, toothbrush and some anti seizure medication that I have to take.
    I like the creature comforts you include. One thing a lot of people forget about is their feet. Extra socks and comfortable, sturdy shoes can make a huge difference. I never leave the house in slides or flip flops. I want laced shoes or boots on my feet so I know I don’t slip if I have to react quickly. Thank you for your insight.

Bacon0101

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2024
    Franklin, IN
    I don't carry a bug out bag. Mine is a get home bag containing things that will help me get home if an emergency arises when I am not home.
    Just glad you are thinking ahead and are prepared to get where you want to be. I may add this to my vehicle. Would you elaborate on what type of items you have in your GHB?

Bacon0101

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2024
    Franklin, IN
    Not directed at me, but I can speak to this as well.

Given the choice, I'll take a service-size or traditional "compact" auto in most situations, but revolvers do have their place. I carry one when I can't or don't want to be encumbered by something larger, or as a backup to a duty gun.

I have big hands. Most of the micro-compact autos don't work well for me, but I can grip and shoot a J-Frame pretty well. The long, heavy trigger is an added measure of safety in a pocket holster compared the light/short pull of many of the striker-fired semis on the market today. There's also no slide to get jammed out of battery or hung up on the inside of a pocket.

It's not the right tool for every situation, but it's a good choice for some.
    100% agree. I feel firearms are like shoes. Each one has its occasion. I like to carry a revolver in the summer under light clothing. Thank you for your add to the post and information.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    What made you choose to carry a revolver? Function, comforter, familiarity? I carry a snub nose revolver on occasion but I don’t like not having the capacity. I only carry the one revolver because I know I am accurate with it and it’s dependable.
    I have slide guns as well, but I feel most comfortable with a revolver. I believe most of the time, not much more than a few rounds are exchanged in a gun fight anyways, but yeah it could be more.

Also, I can shoot a Snub through a jacket pocket, not so much a semi-auto. I can also, if an attacker got in a struggle with me, and I could deploy my gun, I could shove it in their gut and pull the trigger a couple of times...chances are with a slide gun, its gonna push it out of battery.

These are just a couple of reasons I like revolvers.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have slide guns as well, but I feel most comfortable with a revolver. I believe most of the time, not much more than a few rounds are exchanged in a gun fight anyways, but yeah it could be more.

Also, I can shoot a Snub through a jacket pocket, not so much a semi-auto. I can also, if an attacker got in a struggle with me, and I could deploy my gun, I could shove it in their gut and pull the trigger a couple of times...chances are with a slide gun, its gonna push it out of battery.

I keep hearing this “ I can shoot a revolver through a jacket pocket” business. All I can think is that how many times am I going to be shooting a gun through a jacket pocket? And honestly, I can shoot any semi auto through a jacket pocket once, at least, and many of them will work OK several times. Realistically speaking, if I have to deploy my weapon, I’m not deploying it through a jacket pocket. I want it out where I can use it without any restrictions. Further, I don’t want some little snubnose .38. My pocket gun is a .380, it’s my back up which is going to have about as much effect as a snub nose .38 My main EDC is a 10mm. On the unfortunate chance I have to deploy my weapon to stop a threat, I want to be able to stop it with as few rounds as possible, by putting big angry holes in it, and I have 16 rounds of that, plus an extra 15 available to me.

I mean, you do you, but having had a considerable amount of force on force training, and quite a bit of self defense combat training, I just can’t see many situations where firing some thing through a jacket pocket is the preferred situation. Yes, there may be a few isolated times when that may be the case, but those are far outweighed by the other times.

Bacon0101

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2024
    Franklin, IN

Thanks for the reply. A couple of strong arguments for a revolver over a semi-auto. Exchange function and action over round capacity. Guess the extra rounds are worth it if it is jammed up.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    You Sir are a role model! I also travel 40 miles one way for work but I have not walked any routes yet. I have driven alternate routes and have them mapped in my GPS. Your kingdom is your fortress and having it prepared is detrimental to survival. Thank you for your post. I hope other read it and get a few pointers from it.
    Yeah, if being practical and prepared is your mindset, you would be wise to absorb everything you can from shibumi. He's legendary and legit.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I keep hearing this “ I can shoot a revolver through a jacket pocket” business. All I can think is that how many times am I going to be shooting a gun through a jacket pocket? And honestly, I can shoot any semi auto through a jacket pocket once, at least, and many of them will work OK several times. Realistically speaking, if I have to deploy my weapon, I’m not deploying it through a jacket pocket. I want it out where I can use it without any restrictions. Further, I don’t want some little snubnose .38. My pocket gun is a .380, it’s my back up which is going to have about as much effect as a snub nose .38 My main EDC is a 10mm. On the unfortunate chance I have to deploy my weapon to stop a threat, I want to be able to stop it with as few rounds as possible, by putting big angry holes in it, and I have 16 rounds of that, plus an extra 15 available to me.

I mean, you do you, but having had a considerable amount of force on force training, and quite a bit of self defense combat training, I just can’t see many situations where firing some thing through a jacket pocket is the preferred situation. Yes, there may be a few isolated times when that may be the case, but those are far outweighed by the other times.
    Well, then I guess you have to do what you think you need to do. Yes, I have fired mine through an old jacked I had, and at very close range, like standing in line to check out at a gas station, I was able to dump all six rounds into the black zone on a B-27 target...about 6-8 feet. Many times, in cold weather, I am carrying a snub in my jacket pocket, and am standing there with my hand fully wrapped around that revolver...I don't care what videos you might have watched or whatever, but I actually tried it, and up close it works. The whole time nobody would even realize I actually have the gun in hand, ready to go.

Now, I have a G29, but don't carry it very often. Nothing wrong with a 10mm, but you need to be very careful about how "thick" your opponent is. Your round goes through some skinny dude, and hits the next person in front of him, and you are most certainly screwed. Besides, a .380 Auto is not the equivalent of a decent .38 Special SD round.

Lastly, I spent four years in the Marine Corps, and am not totally ignorant when it comes to combat training. Like you said, "you do you", and I will, and not feel the least bit under gunned doing it my way.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Thanks for the reply. A couple of strong arguments for a revolver over a semi-auto. Exchange function and action over round capacity. Guess the extra rounds are worth it if it is jammed up.
    It's all a personal preference. A person can get killed carrying 300+ rounds of rifle ammo on them...wrong place, wrong time.

You will figure out what works best for your daily life. When I was younger, I used to carry as heavy as possible, so maybe your a younger guy but, I will guarantee that as you age, all that gear becomes much more difficult to lug around. Believe me.

At 59, I am a shell of my former 20 year old self, when I was in the military...I could not last a more than a day there anymore, so I have "throttled back" a bit in what kind of firepower I carry around on a daily basis.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Well, then I guess you have to do what you think you need to do. Yes, I have fired mine through an old jacked I had, and at very close range, like standing in line to check out at a gas station, I was able to dump all six rounds into the black zone on a B-27 target...about 6-8 feet. Many times, in cold weather, I am carrying a snub in my jacket pocket, and am standing there with my hand fully wrapped around that revolver...I don't care what videos you might have watched or whatever, but I actually tried it, and up close it works. The whole time nobody would even realize I actually have the gun in hand, ready to go.

Now, I have a G29, but don't carry it very often. Nothing wrong with a 10mm, but you need to be very careful about how "thick" your opponent is. Your round goes through some skinny dude, and hits the next person in front of him, and you are most certainly screwed. Besides, a .380 Auto is not the equivalent of a decent .38 Special SD round.

Lastly, I spent four years in the Marine Corps, and am not totally ignorant when it comes to combat training. Like you said, "you do you", and I will, and not feel the least bit under gunned doing it my way.
    I don’t know where you pulled the video comment, but I’m a little more experienced than an internet commando.

The question wasn’t whether you can do it or not, I know you can. The question is out of all of the times you may need to deploy a weapon, what percentage of those will be through a jacket pocket? I mean, where are you people going where shooting through a jacket pocket is a reasonable choice on a regular basis?

If that’s what you want to do, great. But it’s a very poor justification for carrying a revolver. Please note: I’m not saying don’t carry a revolver. If that makes you happy, then great. But the need to shoot from a jacket pocket is probably among the weakest arguments for carrying a revolver over a semiauto there is, for the reason I discussed above. And as I said, all guns will fire at least once out of this coveted jacket pocket. My Bond Arms 10mm derringer will fire both barrels out of that jacket pocket if I want. I just want to know why I keep hearing about the “jacket pocket” and just how many self defense shootings actually occur from a jacket pocket. I’m sure some have happened, I just can’t think of any out of the hundreds I’ve heard of.

Likewise, there are times I will only have a .380 with me for various reasons, which basically gives me the same bullet and energy as a .38 out of a snubby but conceals a lot better, because the only reason I’m carrying that light of a weapon is because concealment trumps effectiveness. If that’s all I can carry at the moment, so be it. There will be times I can’t even carry that, but when I can, I’m going to carry something that works a lot better because the whole point is to end the situation as quickly as possible with the least threat to me.

Last edited:

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I don’t know where you pulled the video comment, but I’m a little more experienced than an internet commando.

The question wasn’t whether you can do it or not, I know you can. The question is out of all of the times you may need to deploy a weapon, what percentage of those will be through a jacket pocket? I mean, where are you people going where shooting through a jacket pocket is a reasonable choice on a regular basis?

If that’s what you want to do, great. But it’s a very poor justification for carrying a revolver. Please note: I’m not saying don’t carry a revolver. If that makes you happy, then great. But the need to shoot from a jacket pocket is probably among the weakest arguments for carrying a revolver over a semiauto there is, for the reason I discussed above. And as I said, all guns will fire at least once out of this coveted jacket pocket. My Bond Arms 10mm derringer will fire both barrels out of that jacket pocket if I want. I just want to know why I keep hearing about the “jacket pocket” and just how many self defense shootings actually occur from a jacket pocket. I’m sure some have happened, I just can’t think of any out of the hundreds I’ve heard of.

Likewise, there are times I will only have a .380 with me for various reasons, which basically gives me the same bullet and energy as a .38 out of a snubby but conceals a lot better, because the only reason I’m carrying that light of a weapon is because concealment trumps effectiveness. If that’s all I can carry at the moment, so be it. There will be times I can’t even carry that, but when I can, I’m going to carry something that works a lot better because the whole point is to end the situation as quickly as possible with the least threat to me.
    You focused in on the "jacket pocket", so I answered that. I did list other reasons why as well, but it was like you took offense to the shooting through the jacket pocket. It was and is just one of many reasons why, most of the time, I carry a revolver like a J-frame or something similar.

Am I hoping I can try it out, other than on the range, just to see if it works? Nope. I proved to myself it can be done, when I saw some dude on a video do it, but all I ended up doing at the end of the test, was tossing out an old Carhartt jacked, with a smokey blown out pocket.

As far as the .380 Auto is concerned, I have one and only one, a G42. Do I carry it at times? Yup, carried it all this last weekend, due to a trip out of state, and it is flatter than a snub, so pocket carry was easier. Are both calibers similar in chamber pressure and velocity, yes again, but the .38 Special +P does the same with a heavier bullet.

Just as I said before, we make our choices and take the results. I like the simple and reliable nature of a revolver, enough that I choose it, many times, over a semi-auto. I certainly have plenty of them to choose from, if I wanted. But, to sideline my personal reasons to choose a certain gun to carry, even if you don't like one of them, is not the way to go. I did not start out saying your choice of a 10mm Auto was a poor one, due to the possibility of over penetration, nor would I do that...your choice is not my business.

Peace.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    You focused in on the "jacket pocket", so I answered that. I did list other reasons why as well, but it was like you took offense to the shooting through the jacket pocket. It was and is just one of many reasons why, most of the time, I carry a revolver like a J-frame or something similar.

Am I hoping I can try it out, other than on the range, just to see if it works? Nope. I proved to myself it can be done, when I saw some dude on a video do it, but all I ended up doing at the end of the test, was tossing out an old Carhartt jacked, with a smokey blown out pocket.

As far as the .380 Auto is concerned, I have one and only one, a G42. Do I carry it at times? Yup, carried it all this last weekend, due to a trip out of state, and it is flatter than a snub, so pocket carry was easier. Are both calibers similar in chamber pressure and velocity, yes again, but the .38 Special +P does the same with a heavier bullet.

Just as I said before, we make our choices and take the results. I like the simple and reliable nature of a revolver, enough that I choose it, many times, over a semi-auto. I certainly have plenty of them to choose from, if I wanted. But, to sideline my personal reasons to choose a certain gun to carry, even if you don't like one of them, is not the way to go. I did not start out saying your choice of a 10mm Auto was a poor one, due to the possibility of over penetration, nor would I do that...your choice is not my business.

Peace.
    I think you may think that I am focusing on you specifically. Although we have been engaging in this particular conversation, I’m not focusing on you.

My rant is on the “need to fire through a jacket pocket” justification that I have heard hundreds of times from a whole lot of people. Taking you out of the equation, just assume that I’m not talking to you specifically here, I want to know for how many people being able to fire out of a jacket pocket is the main justification they have for carrying a revolver over some other kind of weapon. Because it must be a very significant factor since I’ve heard it so often.

As for your comment about over penetration, with modern hollow point self-defense ammo, this is not a significant concern. Yes, the ammo that I carry for grizzly bear country, would most likely go straight through a person, but that’s not what I carry when I am out and about. Further, if I’m in a self-defense shooting, ending the threat quickly with as few shots as possible is far less likely to cause a stray bullets to fly around endangering other people. Because I don’t care how good anyone is on the range, in a real self-defense combat shooting, very few of us can reliably hit center of mass, even at 7 yards.

Top Bottom