• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Well I spent the past hour googling them and looking on youtube.

Setting aside the gLock snobs, it seems the Asian military mags are actually KCI aka Khan Korean magazines.

It also seems they have some fit and finish issues, but they work very well.

Anyone here have any extended use experiences with the 17 or 33 round Asian/Korean/KCI/Kahn magazines?

How about with the newer 17 rd drop free versions? As opposed to what I only saw in the past, the non drop free.

At $10-$14 each I never really gave them much thought since new factory mags are $19.

However CDNN has them for $5.99 for the 17 rd and $9.99 for the 33 rounders.

If nothing else I will order one of each just to try them out... I'm just wondering if I should buy half a dozen of the 17rounders... at that price... why not?

Reminds me of my Chip Mccormick shooting star 1911 magazines. They run very well and I use them at the range almost exclusively, saving the wear on my Wilson Combats I use for self defense on the rare occasion I carry the TRP. Would I use the shooting stars for self defense? Yes, but I'd rather go with the higher quality wilsons when I have the chance.

So whats the verdict Hooisers?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have a case of Korean made KCI G19 magazines. Some are still in their packages, but those that have been used have been flawless. I've also lent one of them to friend who used it in a couple IDPA matches without problems.

These are all about 2 years old. I paid $10 each.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have a case of Korean made KCI G19 magazines. Some are still in their packages, but those that have been used have been flawless. I've also lent one of them to friend who used it in a couple IDPA matches without problems.

These are all about 2 years old. I paid $10 each.
    :rockwoot:

Thanks. I'm finally going to break down and buy myself a gLock... after shooting a bunch of cool G17's recently, I've been bit by the gLock bug.. or at least the G17 bug anyway. :):

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I've used both the 40 and 9mm model K mags in Kel Tec S2Ks w/o a single malfunction. Can't speak to the 33 rd 9er but the 31 rd 40 was a very, very tight fit. The mag springs are very stiff and the mags hard to load the first time or so. CTD has a pair of KCI G17 17 rd mags w/ mag pouch for $9.97.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    some fit, some don't
    some drop free, some don't
    some floor plates pop off, some don't

it's a crap shoot

And thats probably why they are $5.99 now..... :dunno:

On Glock talk the general consensus is that they are great range mags, mostly due to the low cost and they sometimes set up action drills for the shooter.

My only expierence was using a G17 KCI mag in my G19 for a fellow shooter at the range. His G17 had issues with the mag alot and he asked me to try it in my G19... I had a few issues with the KCI, put in a loaded Glock factory mag and no problems at all, he chucked the mag and it become a ground target.

Bottom line is if they work, they work, if not their junk. At $5.99 ea they may be worth the effort for some extra range mags to some, but I will stick to the factory Glock mags. I dont even trust the Scherer (sp.?) 31/33 round mags, only the factory Glock G18 33 rnd mags.

YMMV,

:popcorn:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Anyone here have any extended use experiences with the 17 or 33 round Asian/Korean/KCI/Kahn magazines?

How about with the newer 17 rd drop free versions? As opposed to what I only saw in the past, the non drop free.

I've had ~10 each of the G19 and G17 mags in service for a little over a year. Mine are FML (i.e. "drop-free"), but early production – either unmarked or with a "KCI" floorplate; these have also been sold under the "Khan" and "Victory" brands. They were very difficult to load to capacity for the first couple hundred rounds; much squeaking and scraping was heard, and I got some plastic shavings until the followers and mag bodies got broken in. After that, follower movement was much smoother and loading became easier. I used the Khan mags interchangeably with OEM at matches, classes and range trips, and all went well until recently, when I started to have repeated failures to lock open on empty and a couple failures to feed in my G17 and G34. I function checked all the Korean mags, and found the followers to move extremely easily (i.e. weak springs), and one mag even failed the lockback test. Stripping the mags revealed that the springs in all of them had compressed such that the end was flush or even below flush with the bottom of the mag body. :eek: I trashed all the springs and replaced them with Wolff +5%. Will be re-testing today.

However CDNN has them for $5.99 for the 17 rd and $9.99 for the 33 rounders.

Cheaper Than Dirt has the Korean G17 and G19 mags for $9.99/2 and you get a free mag pouch. :D Jus' sayin.

On a related note, only the G19 mags can be truly considered "Asian military," since the G19 is issued to South Korea's Blue House security detail (basically their equivalent of the Secret Service). The G17, 18, 22 and 23 mags, not so much. But hey, it makes them sound "exotic," and CDNN is all about sensationalism in advertising.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Cheaper Than Dirt has the Korean G17 and G19 mags for $9.99/2 and you get a free mag pouch. :D Jus' sayin.

That's where I got mine for my LWD 9mm conversion barrel for my G22. They've worked great so far, thanks for the heads up ont eh junk springs. I"ll go ahead and put some +power springs on teh next order....

Doug K

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I've had ~10 each of the G19 and G17 mags in service for a little over a year. Mine are FML (i.e. "drop-free"), but early production – either unmarked or with a "KCI" floorplate; these have also been sold under the "Khan" and "Victory" brands. They were very difficult to load to capacity for the first couple hundred rounds; much squeaking and scraping was heard, and I got some plastic shavings until the followers and mag bodies got broken in. After that, follower movement was much smoother and loading became easier. I used the Khan mags interchangeably with OEM at matches, classes and range trips, and all went well until recently, when I started to have repeated failures to lock open on empty and a couple failures to feed in my G17 and G34. I function checked all the Korean mags, and found the followers to move extremely easily (i.e. weak springs), and one mag even failed the lockback test. Stripping the mags revealed that the springs in all of them had compressed such that the end was flush or even below flush with the bottom of the mag body. :eek: I trashed all the springs and replaced them with Wolff +5%. Will be re-testing today.

Thanks for the review and the headsup on CTD, I need to order a LWD barrel as well (for reloads), two birds w/ one stone!

scowens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I got a couple for my G17. Worked flawlessly for several months. Last IDPA, I had two slide locks with bullets still in the mag. PIcked them up after the match and banged them (didn't shoot them, thou), and the bullets popped up. The OEM mags, have worked 100%.
    I'm gonna look into those Wolf springs, mentioned above....

My :twocents:

Steve

Glocker1986

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    I bought 2 of them to try out and beacuse I had 2 orange glock floor plates that were sitting around. Both were flawless through the first 500 rounds each. 1 still works fine but rounds get stuck in the other. I may try ordering a new spring the next time I order parts but I probable wont buy any more of the mags themselves.

M2A2

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Jasper county
    dont cheap out! get the real deal.. no korean crap.. why take a chance... call cdnn and get the read deal. I have heard of too many problems..no thxs.

Top Bottom