• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Why are lefties celebrating this obvious holiday of white Christian cis-gender supremacy at any rate? They should be off in the woods feasting with the local Native Americans apologizing for stealing their lands and livelihood!

:):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Or keep politics out of family get-togethers completely.

Reminds me, we're at about that time of year for the media think-pieces on "how to deal with your racist republican uncle at thanksgiving"

I think family discussions about politics is the only way out. But it has to be the cond of discussion I described in another thread.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    My 87yr old grandpa and grandma are the only " Conservatives" at Thanksgiving. My grandpa spends almost every waking hour watching FOX, outside of golf, football, and Nascar. Politics just never comes up at family gatherings, why would it? Enjoy each other and learn that politics stays out of family gatherings. It's sad that this is a foreign concept to some, even if everyone gathered agrees with each other. There is so much more to share in this wonderful world than politics...ugh.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The average definition of midpoint in the political sphere is slid so far in one direction that discussions are kept innocuous. It's like flying on instruments.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My 87yr old grandpa and grandma are the only " Conservatives" at Thanksgiving. My grandpa spends almost every waking hour watching FOX, outside of golf, football, and Nascar. Politics just never comes up at family gatherings, why would it? Enjoy each other and learn that politics stays out of family gatherings. It's sad that this is a foreign concept to some, even if everyone gathered agrees with each other. There is so much more to share in this wonderful world than politics...ugh.
    I don’t think every family should discuss political differences at get-togethers. Your situation doesn’t sound like it would be helpful. If a conversation can’t be had that makes both sides understand each other at least a little better, then it should be avoided.

I’m saying that if family get-togethers are the only opportunity for people to talk to people far outside of their own ideological bubble, and there is trust already in the relationship, and there is a willingness to engage in good faith to learn about the other, that brings people closer together. And then that’s that many fewer people living in a bubble.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Most in my family are pretty conservative and 2A supporters but we do have that one couple. BIL and his wife with her being absolutley nuts, they live in Minnesota and Florida so not like we see them a lot. When they are around I speak nothing about politics, when they are not around the rest of us talk all we want and are all on the same page. Jim.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Families like that could learn from each other. Maybe there is some signal in what your BIL believes. Maybe you can help them add your signal to theirs. Maybe they can help you quash some noise, and maybe you can help them quash some of theirs.

Signal=beliefs that are true.
    Noise=beliefs based on ideological dogma.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Why are lefties celebrating this obvious holiday of white Christian cis-gender supremacy at any rate? They should be off in the woods feasting with the local Native Americans apologizing for stealing their lands and livelihood!

Funny you mention that:

The Huffington Post, in what’s probably going to go down as the stupidest idea in American history, put out a post calling for the outright skipping of some serious Thanksgiving traditions — like travel, like turkey — as a means, get this, of saving the planet from environmental damage.

Holy crap, Batman.

“You may want to consider skipping the turkey altogether — and, more importantly, the travel,” HuffPost tweeted, with a link to its posted opinion piece, “The Environmental Impact Of Your Thanksgiving Dinner.”

I’m sorry — but does anyone this side of Loonsville give a rat’s you-know-what about the “environmental impact” of Thanksgiving?

Talk about buzzkill.

More..

A recent report from National Geographic and the Climate Action Tracker found that we are far from reaching our 2020 goal of lower emissions,” the HuffPost piece opens, before making this dubious mental jump: “With that in mind, one wonders: How much damage are we doing with our epic Thanksgiving meal every year?”

One wonders?

Who are these wondering ones?

HuffPost actually reached out to three researchers to determine “Thanksgiving’s carbon footprint.”

And as luck would have it — Thanksgiving dining fare is just downright bad for the environment. So, too, Thanksgiving travel.

So what’s a poor radical environmentalist to do when that fateful Thursday in November rolls around? Eat plants, not meat, for one. And for God’s sake, stay home.

“The biggest carbon impact is caused by people, not food, traveling extensive distances,” the report continues.

Message clear: Do not drive.

Memo sent: Eat vegetables.

“Meat and meat byproducts (cheese, butter and heavy cream, for example) have a larger environmental footprint than plant-based ingredients,” HuffPost reported. “[T]he carbon footprint of a 16-pound turkey creates a total of 34.2 pounds of CO2 — the same amount produced by turkey gravy, cranberry sauce, roasted Brussels sprouts, mashed potatoes, rolled biscuits and apple pie combined.”

There’s more; not all vegetables are alike.

“Want to get into the nitty gritty? On the hierarchy of vegetables, asparagus and celery produce the highest quantity of CO2 per pound, with 7.33 and 7.09 respectively,” HuffPost goes on. “quash and pumpkin only create 0.10 and 0.11 pounds of CO2 per pound, respectively. So instead of more turkey, help yourself to an extra slice of pumpkin pie or an additional serving of squash soup.”

Don’t like squash soup?

Too bad. That’s not the point.

Thanksgiving, after all, is the time to be thankful. And that means being thankful for the kind and helpful nannies in the environmental field who take the time out from things that matter to shame the nation into remembering that holidays have consequences — and not just for the waist line. For Planet Earth.

“The takeaway? Thanksgiving is a time of gratitude and family for many people,” the piece goes on. “Some simple recommendations for your meal include choosing a smaller turkey … or finding a spot that requires less travel.”

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    If any of you have time to talk at the thanksgiving table, you didn’t make enough food? Only talk at our table is the opening prayer, then it’s forks clanking p, and teeth, gnashing. INCORRECT, there is slight conversation, things like pass the butter, turkey, corn, etc.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    “Want to get into the nitty gritty? On the hierarchy of vegetables, asparagus and celery produce the highest quantity of CO2 per pound, with 7.33 and 7.09 respectively,” HuffPost goes on. “quash and pumpkin only create 0.10 and 0.11 pounds of CO2 per pound, respectively. So instead of more turkey, help yourself to an extra slice of pumpkin pie or an additional serving of squash soup.”

Wait... I thought the big benefit of plants is that they take CO2 OUT of the air, and now they're telling me that plants put CO2 INTO the air? HELP - I'm drowning in a cesspool of conflicting "facts."
    (Being an actual scientist - and not a pseudo-scientist - I know that plants produce CO2 during respiration. But if they are to make any living tissue and grow, they must use atmospheric CO2 for that.)

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I’m saying that if family get-togethers are the only opportunity for people to talk to people far outside of their own ideological bubble, and there is trust already in the relationship, and there is a willingness to engage in good faith to learn about the other, that brings people closer together. And then that’s that many fewer people living in a bubble.
    Oh, you are talking about RATIONAL political discussions? I've heard they exist...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You and me both, man.

Even my millennial children are right of me.:n00b:

Yep.

It's my civil liberties/criminal justice views (even my kids think I'm soft) and the fact that I actually know, respect and like people of religions and ethnicities other than my own. (my kids join me in this)

Anyhoo, I don't talk politics. I stay silent on such subjects. Perfectly silent...which with some things the in-laws will be saying will place me in the Billy Bush position to their Trump if someone actually recorded it

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    Right after Trump was elected my sister and her husband didn't come to Thanksgiving dinner cause they don't like Trump. I have no problem not talking politics at any time. I wish others could have the same restraint.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I'm also the most right-leaning (non-left anyway, more libertarian-ish contrarian "people who rise to positions of power have to be amoral") person at out gatherings. Teachers, artists, musicians, churchy-left. But mom has the centrally located big house so we play nice unless they say really crazy far left fantasies that have to be torn down, accuse me of being a republican, then tear them down too, then "You know uncle Howie was like that too..."

Because to acknowledge that, they'd have to give up the comfortable life they have and move to Europe.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I will be the most left-leaning person at any family gathering....think about that for a minute.

I'll be the most moderate person in my family at Thanksgiving. It swings wildly both ways, so it one of the few times I keep my head down and mouth shut. But hell, football is on, and the beer flows freely, so I'm more than content.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The elders in my family are serious life long dems. They worked the polling booths, wore the buttons, stood in picket lines, etc. They quit bringing up politics at family gatherings shortly after Obama took the oath. Had nothing to do with race.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The elders in my family are serious life long dems. They worked the polling booths, wore the buttons, stood in picket lines, etc. They quit bringing up politics at family gatherings shortly after Obama took the oath. Had nothing to do with race.

That tan suit turned a lot of people off.

Top Bottom