• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I posted a question in a for sale ad and got an infraction. There was a couple questions already on the price of the sale items and I simply asked for clarification. I pm'ed the mod who gave me the infraction but they will not give a straight answer. Are we not allowed to ask questions in an ad?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    7. Keep comments related to the ad directly and no ad bashing! ex. "Your price is crazy high. What a POS, etc." We also don't want to know if you think it's a great price, a nice gun, etc. Because ads move so quickly, the staff are having to spend huge amounts of time deleting irrelevant posts in threads to keep them from bumping early. Please keep all comments DIRECTLY related to the sale of the item in question. To clarify this, we mean an offer to buy/trade, notice of PM, questions about the specific item, etc. If an ad states WTS then do not ask if they will trade. If the ad states WTT do not ask if they have a cash price.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I saw that post. To me, it didn't look like an honest question on the price. It looked to me like you were making a snarky comment about the OP asking too much, but you "cleverly" disguised it as a price inquiry. I think it went something like "Is this for 2 or 3 boxes? No INGOer would ever try to screw someone on a price like that" (or something close to that). If that's the post, I would absolutely have infracted you. It's not your job or anyone else's to be the "INGO Price Police". If you don't like the price as stated, you can make a (private) offer or you can move on to the next thread. Bashing ads is absolutely 100% verboten and is spelled out clearly in the classified rules and in at least three sticky threads in the classified sections.

Oh, and to be completely clear, we've had lots of people try lots and lots of loopholes to bash ads. Because it happens with annoying regularity, the moderator default response is to assume that you're trying to sidestep the rules with oh-so-innocent cutesy language. As Roadie quoted above, "Please keep all comments DIRECTLY related to the sale of the item in question." If you don't have a personal, vested interest in buying the item, then don't bother posting in the thread at all.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    My question was directly related to the post, as were the two questions prior to mine. I just asked for clarification. I was not trying to play "INGO price police" as you so eloquently put it.

Yes, I did ask if that price was for two or three boxes. If you read the posts prior to mine, there was some questions about the price. Why can't the op answer questions instead of mods deleting them and passing out infractions?

And YES, I had a "personal, vested interest in buying the item!"

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    My question was directly related to the post, as were the two questions prior to mine. I just asked for clarification. I was not trying to play "INGO price police" as you so eloquently put it.

Yes, I did ask if that price was for two or three boxes. If you read the posts prior to mine, there was some questions about the price. Why can't the op answer questions instead of mods deleting them and passing out infractions?

Probably because the internet.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    The OP in that ad clearly stated the price was for 1 box. The questions that followed probably deserved to be flagged too. I don't know if those posters got infractions also, but they may have. The best way to ask questions re: classifieds is via PM. The rules for this are plainly spelled out in the FAQs as pointed out by Roadie above. Stick to the rules and you'll have no issues. Learn from it and move on.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    bunny-eating-popcorn-o.gif

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

As I said, the mods have had to spend so much time dealing with cutesy ad bashing that the default position is to assume that you are ad bashing any time you post a question about the price. That you also added the part about "no INGOer would ever try to screw someone with that price" pretty much sealed the deal. If it was a legitimate question, why didn't you just PM it? As for why the OP can't answer the question, I don't speak for the OP. He's under no obligation to respond to any questions whatsoeve, but the mods ARE under an obligation to maintain the classifieds. Perhaps the mods saw the price bashing before the OP did.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    My question and statement were legitimate.

I did not pm because there was some questions as to the quantity of boxes for the asking price. I was trying to clear up the confusion. If I had sent a pm, the questions would still remain. I was hoping the op would answer.

I hope the guy making an offer in the thread now does not get in trouble.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    There was no question about quantity. The ad clearly stated "Price is ridiculously set at $60 per box."

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    There most certainly was a question of quantity in the posts prior to mine. I asked for clarification because I didn't know if I was missing something. The question was directly related to the ad.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    There most certainly was a question of quantity in the posts prior to mine. I asked for clarification because I didn't know if I was missing something. The question was directly related to the ad.

I've answered your questions in PMs and that wasn't good enough. What was the purpose of asking in this thread? Apparently we have a difference of opinion on this one issue. What can I do to resolve this matter for you?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I've answered your questions in PMs and that wasn't good enough. What was the purpose of asking in this thread? Apparently we have a difference of opinion on this one issue. What can I do to resolve this matter for you?

You could edit the OP in the ad so it says $30 per box. :laugh:

Kidding of course. I'm not even positive which thread we're talking about, but I think I have a pretty good idea.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I started this thread to get an answer as to why you wanted to give me an infraction for asking a question. People ask questions in ads all the time. I was trying to clarify something and yes, I was interested in the ammo. Apparently, you didn't like my question and deleted it. I feel sorry for the guy making an offer on the ammo. You going to delete his post and give him an infraction now? Ridiculous.

I have used the classifieds before and know how they work. I have never seen someone get their posts deleted for asking a question.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I started this thread to get an answer as to why you wanted to give me an infraction for asking a question. People ask questions in ads all the time. I was trying to clarify something and yes, I was interested in the ammo. Apparently, you didn't like my question and deleted it. I feel sorry for the guy making an offer on the ammo. You going to delete his post and give him an infraction now? Ridiculous.

I have used the classifieds before and know how they work. I have never seen someone get their posts deleted for asking a question.
    Was there something like this in your question?

No INGOer would ever try to screw someone on a price like that"

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

I give warnings/infractions every day. How would you know for what reason a post was removed? I'm not trying to get in an argument about this. You got a simple infraction, much like most of us who are active. I received two infractions due to interactions in the classifieds. I simply took note and didn't do that again.

As for the "question" in the thread at this point, that is a legitimate offer. Now, compare that with your post (bolded below) and you tell me what you would do if you were in my shoes after reading "$60 per box":

A little clarification is needed here. How many boxers for $60? Is it 2 or 3?

Surely its not just a single box like was previously suggested. No INGO member would try screwing over another INGO member like that.

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I started this thread to get an answer as to why you wanted to give me an infraction for asking a question.

Ok, you clearly got your little jab in about the price and you earned a little slap on the wrist over it. Time to man up and move on with your life.

As for the "question" in the thread at this point, that is a legitimate offer. Now, compare that with your post (bolded below) and you tell me what you would do if you were in my shoes after reading "$60 per box":

A little clarification is needed here. How many boxers for $60? Is it 2 or 3?

Surely its not just a single box like was previously suggested. No INGO member would try screwing over another INGO member like that.

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Thank you. There was a question on whether it was 2 or 3 boxes. Was there or the was there not?

And, I would hope that no INGO member would try screwing over another INGO member. Is there something wrong with that?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom