Assembling an AR lower into a rifle is ILLEGAL!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Actually if you dig deeper in that thread and another where the shop explains itself since they are a supporter of that site (that I don't really go to that site much, saw the link on a blog), the supposed reason for the sign is that the BATFE is strong arming a lot of the shops in the Texas border area to put up those signs and again it is in how BATFE has a tendency to interpret law differently as it needs.

I haven't followed the threads much further to get how they read the law to do that and if any other shops have actually put up the signs. The BATFE in the past has used similar reading to limit FAL receivers importation as replacement only parts.

Thanks for the explanation. I had to stop reading at page 3 so I missed the explanation.....:D

alvispace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Got this from another forum. Evidently a gun shop in Texas has these signs proudly displayed :n00b:

71290955.jpg

I think he is just trying to limit his personal liability. He's establishing his understanding of the purchasers intent of use.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl347DRnW-g]YouTube - Tesla - Signs - Acoustic[/ame]

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Thanks for the explanation. I had to stop reading at page 3 so I missed the explanation.....:D

Hehe and apparently in page 4 one of the employees gets in the thread... :D that's the problem with that site, idgging through threads makes you feel like you are swimming in porta potty blue water.

Onwers reply from the other thread:

Hello Everyone,

My name is Mike Stulce & I have been the owner of Champion Firearms since founding the store back in 1993. I am proud to call myself a Texan, and even prouder to be Texas A&M class of ’91 (I do not wear wedding or class rings in my store b/c they tend to scratch walnut stocks).

And, to set the record straight, my store was visited by a BATF agent 2- weeks after the election. Although I was not there for the conversation, both my wife & general manager (BadSVT) were present.

The female ATF agent stated, “if we find out that you are knowingly selling lowers for the purpose of manufacturing a firearm, we will shut your store down. We (the ATF) have recently closed down another store for this reason (in a Texas border town), and will do the same to you if we feel you are knowingly selling lowers for the purpose of your customers mfg firearms. Lowers are sold as “replacement parts ONLY!” Immediately afterward, a number of other FFL’s told me they received similar visits and lectures from the ATF…some were so scared that they reported abandoning the sale or transfer of lowers altogether.

This conversation was also tied to the escalating violence on the Texas border. Pursuant to this ultimatum and after speaking to my attorney about it, I posted the signs and began to have customers sign a waiver acknowledging that Champion Firearms is selling the receiver as a replacement only, or to be taken to a licensed mfg.

As a follow- up, another ATF agent reviewed our sign and waiver the following year in our store. He stated that they were satisfied with our attempt to follow their policy with regard to the manufacture of firearms from lower receivers.

In conclusion, this is what I do for a living and how I feed my family. I am an avid gun enthusiast and do not always agree with every gun law or policy that governmental agencies impose, but I would genuinely be an “idiot/ dumb ass, etc. ” if I didn’t take such precautions to maintain my license and livelihood.

Sincerely,

-Mike Stulce

Sorry for the delayed reponse, we got busy after lunch and are running CHL quals tonight.

The "notices" were posted as a reponse to what we were told by compliance agents during our last 2 audits. Instead of not selling lowers all together we asked them if posting these signs and making customers sign a "waiver" would satisfy their demands, which they approved. Our signage was also a result of notices that accompanied some of our stripped lowers where they stated that the lowers were to be sold as replacements only.

Our stance is that we just want it to be made clear that we are selling the lowers as replacement parts so there is no confusion with any of the govt agencies when they come in and do a spot check.

We appreciate the business that we have recieved from this site and hope to be here for a while.

To the OP, hope you enjoy your Saber lower and thank you for the business, if you would like to discuss this in person or have any other questiosn feel free to come back in and ask for me

-Roger
    They also have a waiver to sign when buying a lower...

TIme for BATFE Reform!!!

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So now the ATF can just make stuff up on the spot? (on wait. . . they've been doing that for a while now, eh?)

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Could this possibly be a pic from during the "Assault Weapon Ban" era?

Even then it wasn't completely illegal. The lower just had to be assembled into a rifle using a post ban configuration. That's all.

That was ATF's interpretation anyway, after they'd found out many folks stocked up on lowers before the ban went into effect.

(ooo. looky there, post 2K.)

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Last edited:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Only if the Lower is stamped FOR a pistol. Otherwise it requires much more paper work. Then if you have a Lower stamped for a pistol, you can't make a rifle out of it without other paperwork.

This is wrong. I'm not at the desk to pull up supporting facts but it is still wrong.

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Detroit
    :D
    Since the lower receiver is the "Firearm" part of an AR 15 according to BATFE, and must be serial numbered, and sold as though it were a complete firearm, it doesn't make any difference what gets added to it after the sale as long as it isn't made into an SBR or a full auto firearm.
    Texas may have some weird law that makes it illegal to assemble a complete firearm from a lower receiver but I kinda doubt it.
    I have several friends there who routinely assemble complete AR's on lowers.
    :twocents:
    Mike

I have to agree.....

Wouldn't make any sense to sell the darn things if this was true. But what do I know I'm a Michigander.....

Top Bottom