• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I'm looking to get an EDC knife with the following features and I thought I'd tap the hive mind.

• Fits comfortably in pocket.
    • Pocket / belt clip.
    • Assisted opening.
    • ~ $50
    • Non-tactical looking - stainless, etc.
    • Straight blade - no serration desired
    • Lighter is better
    • Smaller - not big
    I work in a professional environment and I want something that I can use that isn't going to cause alarm due to size or "scary" colors. :rolleyes: I want it to open quickly and be accessible for light weight use.

I've noticed the Kershaw Chive may fit the bill. Any other recommendations out there? I have an ESEE Izula but it is fixed blade and tactical looking otherwise it would be about the right type - perhaps on the large size for this need.

Your input is greatly appreciated! :ingo:

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Absolutely, a Leek. One of the best, and one of the most sold, knives ever made. Lots of steels and profiles to choose from, as well.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    • Fits comfortably in pocket.
    • Pocket / belt clip.
    • Assisted opening.
    • ~ $50
    • Non-tactical looking - stainless, etc.
    • Straight blade - no serration desired
    • Lighter is better
    • maller - not big
    Your input is greatly appreciated! :ingo:

I used to EDC a Leek but found it a little large for office carry wearing Dockers. I got a Ken Onion / Frank Centofante that really carries well, opens smoothly and isn't too large for EDC in an office environment. This goes everywhere with me now.

onion.jpg

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have the Centofante as well as the Leek. Two totally different knives. The Centofante is much smaller, much heavier, and it is a scalple! While it is more of a "gentlemans knife" the Leek is a do it all blade. You want the Leek.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Fits comfortably in pocket.
    Pocket / belt clip.
    Assisted opening.
    ~ $50
    Non-tactical looking - stainless, etc.
    Straight blade - no serration desired
    Lighter is better
    Smaller - not big

IC 35-47-5-2
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.

Not to be a prude, but is the knife you're looking for not illegal being that it is assisted opening? Maybe I'm missing something. I dont know a whole lot about knives.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Fits comfortably in pocket.
    Pocket / belt clip.
    Assisted opening.
    ~ $50
    Non-tactical looking - stainless, etc.
    Straight blade - no serration desired
    Lighter is better
    Smaller - not big

IC 35-47-5-2
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.

Not to be a prude, but is the knife you're looking for not illegal being that it is assisted opening? Maybe I'm missing something. I dont know a whole lot about knives.

Assisted opening knives are LEGAL in all 50 states. Automatic (switchblades) are not legal in Indiana. Automatic knives are legal in some states. The Kershaw Leek is an assisted opening knife.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Thanks for the clarification.

With assisted opening knives you are touching the blade and starting it open before the spring takes over and opens the blade up the rest of the way. With an automatic knife you never have to touch the blade, you are pushing a button or something mechanical and the blade fires on it's own.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Thanks for all the recommendations, folks!

I ended up ordering the Kershaw Leek composite blade knife. I got it for right at $50, and I like paying that little extra for just a bit better steel on the blade.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    I have a Sog trident Folder it's light and pretty nice holds a good edge check the Sog line before you make your decision. It's assisted open as well and it hasa slot to cut para cord pretty handy for fishing.

Top Bottom