• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zzephaniah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    NWI
    I'm not very knowledgeable about knives, so i had a few questions about this type of knife.
    someone got me a cheap assisted opening knife awhile back and it was fun to use, I lost it and I was looking around to see if there were any higher quality assisted opening knives and just found a bunch of cheap Asian imports. Any thoughts?

zzephaniah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    NWI
    What about a Gerber? I've used Gerber knives and multi-tools since I was a kid building treeforts, I don't own one anymore, are they still excellent knives?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Here are a few question that you need to ask yourself that will help you narrow down your search.

1. Budget...how much are you willing to spend?
    2. What will be the primary use of the knife? Example: Everyday carry for general everyday tasks or a hard use, going to beat the crap out of it.
    3. Blade style
    4. Blade length
    5. Overall length
    6. Plain edge or partially serrated edge
    7. Is there anything as far as materials that you want on this knife, like a certain blade steel, handle material, or a specific feature?

:twocents:

zzephaniah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    NWI
    Brad, I'm looking to spend less than $60, I'll use it everyday but not too hard, just opening boxes and cutting cardboard or plastic. I would like something that can stand up to a few hard tasks but it doesn't have to be indestructible. I'd like a short blade anything under 4 inches and it must have some serrations, over all length preferably under 9 inches, I'm open to any style, I don't know much about knives other than general knife safety. Lightweight would be a plus I'd rather not carry around pure steel knife but any material would be fine with me.

zzephaniah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    NWI
    I did see those, but chezuki makes some good points, I have a few Gerber's break on me and even though they're replaceable I'd rather buy once than buy cheap.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I love my Smith&Wesson M&P knife.It's made by a separate company but it's definitely worthy of the company's name.The quality of this knife almost convinced me to buy an M&P when I was in the market for my first pistol.It has the MAGIC(sp?) opening system.Some people knock the fact that it has a safety but after it comes open in your pocket one time you'll love the safety because this blade holds an edge like crazy.

The customer service is amazing too.I had a belt clip screw get lost(my bad) and emailed them about purchasing a replacement screw.Within a few short emails and about three days I had a brand new belt clip and two full sets of screws for it on my kitchen table ready to install,all without any form of payment.

Her replacement,if there ever had to be one,would be a duplicate with the tanto blade or a high quality OTF.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I love my Smith&Wesson M&P knife.It's made by a separate company but it's definitely worthy of the company's name.The quality of this knife almost convinced me to buy an M&P when I was in the market for my first pistol.It has the MAGIC(sp?) opening system.Some people knock the fact that it has a safety but after it comes open in your pocket one time you'll love the safety because this blade holds an edge like crazy.

The customer service is amazing too.I had a belt clip screw get lost(my bad) and emailed them about purchasing a replacement screw.Within a few short emails and about three days I had a brand new belt clip and two full sets of screws for it on my kitchen table ready to install,all without any form of payment.

Her replacement,if there ever had to be one,would be a duplicate with the tanto blade or a high quality OTF.

That is one UGLY knife. But if it works for you it does.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Brad, I'm looking to spend less than $60, I'll use it everyday but not too hard, just opening boxes and cutting cardboard or plastic. I would like something that can stand up to a few hard tasks but it doesn't have to be indestructible. I'd like a short blade anything under 4 inches and it must have some serrations, over all length preferably under 9 inches, I'm open to any style, I don't know much about knives other than general knife safety. Lightweight would be a plus I'd rather not carry around pure steel knife but any material would be fine with me.

Based on your requirements, I would have to agree with "chezuki" that the Kershaw Blur model would be a good choice.

LGDawg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indy
    I have carried Kershaw's for years as EDC knives. I used to carry the Leek, but stepped up to the larger Shallot a few years ago. I thought it would be too big, but I don't even notice a difference when I carry it. Blade is 3.5 in and overall is 7.9 in. I have never carried the Blur, so I cannot speak to it. I am sure it is a good choice as well, I am just a fan of the looks of the Shallot.

Texas-M4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    Dallas
    I have carried Kershaw's for years as EDC knives. I used to carry the Leek, but stepped up to the larger Shallot a few years ago. I thought it would be too big, but I don't even notice a difference when I carry it. Blade is 3.5 in and overall is 7.9 in. I have never carried the Blur, so I cannot speak to it. I am sure it is a good choice as well, I am just a fan of the looks of the Shallot.
    I have several Ken Onion knives and their assisted opening mechanisms are the best and safest.

Top Bottom