• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    The great thread below about course costs has led me to believe that we need to form an association for firearms instructors in Indiana - I'm proposing "APFII" for "Association of Professional Firearms Instructors of Indiana" - but that is certainly open to suggestions.

I think it would be so cool to get together occassionally with my fellow instructors and discuss our classes, how we can advance our profession, how we can share resources, and anything else that comes to mind. (Maybe just to have a beer.)

Who knows - we might be able to pool our resources and save some money on insurance, etc.

What do you guys think? I'll volunteer to set up the legal entity. I think this would be very cool - and very productive.

Guy

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    That's amazing! I was thinking the same thing today! When I was in Ohio there was really no competitive spirit because with state mandated training we were all up to our ears with customers. Here in Indiana it's a bit more competitive. But if member instructors met the standards of the association, any potential customer would know they were not only getting standardized NRA training, but also training that has passed muster within the local instructors as an additional level of scrutiny. I'm not sure how to proceed, but I could see it adding credibility to ALL of our teaching. I can also see it becoming a huge, irrelevant "clusterflop", as they say in the edited version of Heartbreak Ridge, lol!

We used to meet every two weeks for lunch to discuss local issues. It really helped identify fly-by-night companies that had no intention of following state or NRA standards. But it was really cool... it wasn't like we became the "instructor police" or anything. We helped each other develop standardized programs BEYOND NRA.

Interesting idea, but I think it will take a while to develop any real teeth. But we have to start somewhere!

Last edited:

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    If done properly it could be a benefit to training in Indiana. But I can also see it being a good-ol-boy committee trying to regulate what and how others are teaching.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    If done properly it could be a benefit to training in Indiana. But I can also see it being a good-ol-boy committee trying to regulate what and how others are teaching.

Exactly. We need to proceed with caution, and I'm sure there will be growing pains.

So let's start the "we could..." discussion:

We could be a great interface for BSA to find merit badge counselors and trainers.

We could pool resources for advertising purposes, including an association web site. Potential customers could be driven to the web site to select an association instructor near them, or to put in a training request.

[STRIKE]We could have a secret handshake and code names![/STRIKE]

We could have an instructor only forum here on INGO to facilitate communication and brainstorming. :D :ingo:

We could build on each others expertise to develop training programs to fill the areas NRA does not cover.

We could develop an instructor enrichment program that would provide members with continuing education opportunities.

I'd really like to see an emphasis on the professional educator aspects, just as much as the firearms side.

Lots of potential.

Indiana Association of Professional Firearm Instructors? IAPFA?

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The great thread below about course costs has led me to believe that we need to form an association for firearms instructors in Indiana - I'm proposing "APFII" for "Association of Professional Firearms Instructors of Indiana" - but that is certainly open to suggestions.

I think it would be so cool to get together occassionally with my fellow instructors and discuss our classes, how we can advance our profession, how we can share resources, and anything else that comes to mind. (Maybe just to have a beer.)

Who knows - we might be able to pool our resources and save some money on insurance, etc.

What do you guys think? I'll volunteer to set up the legal entity. I think this would be very cool - and very productive.

Guy

Link to the article?

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Been thinking about getting back into this, though it's been years.

I would be interested, if for no other reason than to catch up on what others are teaching these days.

I am mostly "get out of the way and shoot" using targets charging in a straight line. (This is easy on a range with automated target holders if the range dividers are removed). I would like to institute more force-on-force too, if I ever do this again. The stuff we used were primitive and somewhat unrealistic compared to what is available today.

Josh

Top Bottom